• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Does Repentence Mean?

• Members

I was amening most of the post until I saw this line. What is this about?

​Hello, wretched, I was meaning that Lordship salvation isn't scriptural, it is similar to the damnable heresy which they were teaching there in Acts 15, people might not notice how similar it is because Lordship Salvationists don't teach Circumcision, but some of them do teach sprinkling infants in stead of circumcision, which is just as bad or even worse. can you agree with that, or do you agree with sprinkling infants?

• Members

​Hello, wretched, I was meaning that Lordship salvation isn't scriptural, it is similar to the damnable heresy which they were teaching there in Acts 15, people might not notice how similar it is because Lordship Salvationists don't teach Circumcision, but some of them do teach sprinkling infants in stead of circumcision, which is just as bad or even worse. can you agree with that, or do you agree with sprinkling infants?

​Oh no sir, I get it now, thanks

• Members

Mt 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

I would interpret this as saying to him who cannot believe, ‘go and get your heart right so that God may open your eyes and thus you will have a change of heart and see the truth of the Gospel’ So if one can't believe, one must bring forth fruits unto repentance/the faith, if one can believe one sould simply believe/receive and enter into the kingdom through the new birth.

I don’t believe that old testament saints were saved, (Heb 11:39 Eph 4:8 Mt 27:52-3) but that the law was to lead them to Faith in Christ, but that was only given after Christ had ascended to the father. However the following scriptures show what is meant by ‘fruits meet for repentance’

Ps 50:23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.
Ps 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Ps 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
Joh 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

Ga 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Ga 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

So this right heart would be the result of the sanctifying work of the Spirit, by which means we are elect. not saved. 1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, 2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Isa 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
Isa 40:4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
Isa 40:5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

as regards election it is by a 'change of mind' :Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.Joh 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Hope that makes some sense, hopping for some constructive criticism. (I don't suppose I need to ask.)

• Members

Repentance from sin certainly is taught in the Word of God.

In the Old Testament:

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The word "turn" in the above verse is transltated from  the Hebrew word "shuwb" and means repentance.  It can also be found in the book of Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Notice, in the verse above, the same Hebrew word for "Repent" is also used for the word "turn." 

In the New Testament:
Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Jesus gave Jezebel space to repent of what?  Not believing in God?  NO!  He gave her space to repent of her fornication.

Repentance is more than a change of mind.  It is also a turning from sin.  If one does not turn from sin, God will not hear his prayers.

Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:

Ezekiel 33:14-15 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right; If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.

​in response to Ezekiel 8:30- Have you turned away from all transgression?

if this verse is talking about Salvation, then who is saved?

same thing with 33:14-15- how much lawful and right must we do?

• Members

As I see it there is basicly TWO COVENANTS The old covenant was of works and was basicly the created order which Adam was under and which to Moses was spelt out.

Ro 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Ro 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Ro 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

So all were created subject to the natural law of creation, this is what God taught the Isrealites, The old covenant was related to this and was of works, ie, 'do this' and live long on the earth.

The New Covenant was promised to Abraham in advance and prophesied by Jeremiah and was wrought and brought in by Christ. The New is not like the old, it is not of works but it is of faith. And legitimately you can have one or the other not both*, one is of earth, which is old and ready to pass away, the other is heavenly and is entered into by faith and lasts for ever.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One not the other!

*Ro 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
Ro 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Ro 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
Ro 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Ro 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Ro 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have we all noticed that Rom 10 is contrasting the Law to Grace, or the Old Covenant to the New?

Ro 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Ro 10:5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
Ro 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise.......

Unfortunately many are been taught that the old and new covenants can go together, this is in an attempt to nullify the gospel.

the fact that we need to die to the old and be born into the new must be understood, before repentance can be understood and put in context. The Gospel can be lost due to wrong teaching.

Who has noticed that in Johns Gospel, which is specifically an evangelical outreach letter [Joh 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.] to the unsaved, the word Repentance does not appear?

• Members

As I see it there is basicly TWO COVENANTS The old covenant was of works and was basicly the created order which Adam was under and which to Moses was spelt out.

Ro 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Ro 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Ro 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

So all were created subject to the natural law of creation, this is what God taught the Isrealites, The old covenant was related to this and was of works, ie, 'do this' and live long on the earth.

The New Covenant was promised to Abraham in advance and prophesied by Jeremiah and was wrought and brought in by Christ. The New is not like the old, it is not of works but it is of faith. And legitimately you can have one or the other not both*, one is of earth, which is old and ready to pass away, the other is heavenly and is entered into by faith and lasts for ever.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One not the other!

*Ro 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
Ro 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Ro 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
Ro 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Ro 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Ro 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have we all noticed that Rom 10 is contrasting the Law to Grace, or the Old Covenant to the New?

Ro 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Ro 10:5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
Ro 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise.......

Unfortunately many are been taught that the old and new covenants can go together, this is in an attempt to nullify the gospel.

the fact that we need to die to the old and be born into the new must be understood, before repentance can be understood and put in context. The Gospel can be lost due to wrong teaching.

Who has noticed that in Johns Gospel, which is specifically an evangelical outreach letter [Joh 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.] to the unsaved, the word Repentance does not appear?

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/john316repentance.html

• Members

you have quoted my post and posted some verses from Ezekiel, but you haven't made a point as such, I read that chapter I looks to me like it is talking about the old covenant which God made with Isreal, [or a sub covenant within the creative covenant] which they are judged under, then at the end of the chapter the New Covenant is promised. Under which Israel will have sinful daughters but won't be judgemental toward them them.

Eze 16:60 Nevertheless I will remember my covenant [old] with thee in the days of thy youth, and I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant. [new]
Eze 16:61 Then thou shalt remember thy ways, and be ashamed, when thou shalt receive thy sisters, thine elder and thy younger: and I will give them unto thee for daughters, but not by thy covenant.
Eze 16:62 And I will establish my covenant [new] with thee; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD:
Eze 16:63 That thou mayest remember, and be confounded, and never open thy mouth any more because of thy shame [Eph 4:32], when I am pacified toward thee for all that thou hast done, saith the Lord GOD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In the case of John the Baptist, "repent and be baptized" applied to Israelites.  They had a lot to repent about, as they were chosen by God and given the Scriptures and the Prophets.  This message was to prepare Israel for their Messiah.  So, in this case, "repentance" required "works" (as illustrated in the Gospels and Acts, as well as the Hebrew Epistles... like James). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In the case of John the Baptist, "repent and be baptized" applied to Israelites.  They had a lot to repent about, as they were chosen by God and given the Scriptures and the Prophets.  This message was to prepare Israel for their Messiah.  So, in this case, "repentance" required "works" (as illustrated in the Gospels and Acts, as well as the Hebrew Epistles... like James). 

Repentance never required works for salvation.

Works was just the result of obedience, in the heart of one who heard and believed the truth about Jesus being the Christ.

In the 1611 edition of the KJB there is a note explaining repentance in Matthew 3:8 - "meet for repentance" means "answerable to amendment of life", see below -

Matthew Chapter 2 Original 1611 Bible Scan

• Members

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38

That verse sounds like they were to be baptized for salvation, but I hope everyone here agrees that this was not the case. The way it was explained to me in Bible college, was that the word "for" sometimes means "suiting the purposes of" "because of" or "on account of" . If that be the case, then the verse  should be understood to say "Be baptized "on account of" the remission of sins.. or "be baptized because of the remission of sins...." Likewise, the meaning of the phrase "bring fruits meet for repentance" could mean 'because of' or 'suiting the purposes of' repentance". At any rate, we know that repentance in faith must come first before any 'fruit' is produced.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Repentance never required works for salvation.

"Repent and be baptized" was the message to Israel.  Peter continues in Acts with the proclamation of John the Baptist. 

This command is for Israel.  This command does not apply to the Body of Christ.  When you try to apply instructions for

Israel to the Body of Christ, then you err. 

• Members

"Repent and be baptized" was the message to Israel.  Peter continues in Acts with the proclamation of John the Baptist. 

This command is for Israel.  This command does not apply to the Body of Christ.  When you try to apply instructions for

Opinions are such funny little things - you think they mean something, but they just don't.

When a person believes in God with all their heart, like the people who were at Johns baptism and the people that Peter was preaching to in Acts 2, they were all believing with all their heart in the Messiah they were to know, or knew, as Jesus Christ, because he IS God.

He that hath the Son hath life, he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. The 'race' didn't matter when it came or comes to salvation, it is by believing in Jesus Christ with all your heart that matters, and anyone can do that when they have heard the preaching of the word of God by God's own 'chosen vessels' like John the Baptist and Peter. They preached the same gospel, just from two viewpoints in time. John before the cross, Peter after. If one is to believe that the Gospel was different in Peters 'view' compared to Pauls 'view', you create a mess. Two brides. Two 'heavens'. Two types of Fatherly love. Etc.

And that falls down at the feet of truth as false teaching.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

So was/were the Israel you are referring to not the "Body of Christ" then?

That makes them not of the church and not saved then.

You do err, not knowing the scriptures.

• Members

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38

That verse sounds like they were to be baptized for salvation, but I hope everyone here agrees that this was not the case. The way it was explained to me in Bible college, was that the word "for" sometimes means "suiting the purposes of" "because of" or "on account of" . If that be the case, then the verse  should be understood to say "Be baptized "on account of" the remission of sins.. or "be baptized because of the remission of sins...." Likewise, the meaning of the phrase "bring fruits meet for repentance" could mean 'because of' or 'suiting the purposes of' repentance". At any rate, we know that repentance in faith must come first before any 'fruit' is produced.

Notice the proper punctuation in Acts 2:38 from the 1611 printing and compare it to your common KJB - the word 'repent' connects to 'remission of sins', not baptism -

Acts Chapter 2 Original 1611 Bible Scan