• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Does Repentence Mean?

• Members

• Members

Just came across this quote regarding repentance.

“The man whose little sermon is ‘repent’ sets himself against his age, and will for the time being be battered mercilessly by the age whose moral tone he challenges. There is but one end for such a man—‘off with his head!’ You had better not try to preach repentance until you have pledged your head to heaven” (Joseph Parker).

• Moderators

repent ie. "to the rear ---- march"

We have turned everyone unto his own way -- what way? We have sought to establish our own righteouness because there is a way that seemeth right unto a man. Problem - the end thereof. What is that? The ways of death.

All our works of righteousness are filthy rags, the Word became flesh and dwelt among us -- Behold, the lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world.

Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish, ye would not come unto me that ye might have life. What will ye do with this one called the Christ?

Repentance TOWARD God and faith IN the Lord Jesus for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved, God be merciful to me, a sinner.

Note: did not take time to look up Scriptures exactly therefore not in quotation marks.

That's from this hillbilly's dictionary, don't know what's in yawl's high education dictionary.

• Members

Way of Life Encyclopedia

REPENTANCE

Repentance is a supernatural work of God whereby a responsive sinner, being convicted by the Holy Spirit of his rebellion, turns to God from his sinful ways and trusts Jesus Christ for salvation.

2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

• Members

Which is why a lost person must understand they are a sinner and that carries consequences.

We like to poke at those ministries with their watered down Gospels, but the sad fact is, some Baptists also present a watered down Gospel when they tell folks "all you have to do is ask Jesus into your heart", "now repeat this little prayer".

Whoever presents a watered down Gospel, and those who use the "pray Jesus to come into your heart" prayers, without any repentance involved, are presenting a false gospel that leaves folks with a false sense of security even as it leaves them lost in their sins.

• Members

That is where I don't believe what David Cloud says, LindaR  That is Lordship Salvation.  Salvation is not complicated.  It takes faith believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.  No works are added to salvation.  Man makes it complicated.  Repentence means to change one's mind, thus turning to Jesus Christ for salvation.

You are correct, John.  A little prayer does nothing.

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?  And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved and thy house." ~ Acts16:30-31

David Cloud does not teach Lordship Salvation. 

ERROR NUMBER 2: DEFINING REPENTANCE MERELY AS A CHANGE OF MIND

Another man who has widely influenced the doctrine of repentance held by independent Baptists is the late Curtis Hutson, former editor of the Sword of the Lord. His 1986 booklet “Repentance: What Does the Bible Teach?” has been distributed widely and is still used today in many churches. Hutson denied that repentance means to turn from sin (p. 4). He denied that repentance is sorrow for sin (p. 8). He even denied that repentance means “a change of mind that leads to a change of action” (p. 16). He claimed that repentance simply is “to change one’s mind” and that it did not necessarily result in a change of life. In an attempt to build his doctrine of repentance, Curtis Hutson quoted Scripture that appears to support his position but he ignored the Scriptures that plainly refute it. He misquoted the writings of men like his predecessor John R. Rice. He also mixed in a heavy dose of human reasoning.

For example, he stated that repentance couldn’t mean to turn from sin because man cannot turn from all sin. That is a smokescreen, because no one has defined repentance as turning from all sin. The historic definition of repentance, as it applies to salvation, is a change of mind toward God and sin that results in a change of life. Repentance is not turning from all sin in the sense of some sort of sinless perfection; it is a change of mind toward sin so that the sinner no longer intends to walk in rebellion against God. The turning is in the mind and heart. It is not a change of life; it is a dramatic change of mind, and that results in a change of life.

Dr. Hutson also reasoned that saying that repentance will result in turning from sin is a works salvation. That is nonsense. The Thessalonians turned from the sin of idolatry (1 Thess. 1:9). Obviously, that does not mean they thought that their works had a part in their salvation. It was the product of turning to God. The fact that God requires that we turn from sin does not mean that salvation is by works. We know that the works are the fruit of genuine salvation, not the cause of it. Repentance, defined as turning to God from sin, is not a works salvation, as Dr. Hutson falsely claimed. It is the sinner’s obedient response to the Holy Spirit’s conviction (John 16:8). Dr. Hutson’s entire line of reasoning about repentance was unscriptural and dangerous.

Repentance and Lordship Salvation

Jesus died for our SINS not for our "change of mind".

• Members

From what I know of David Cloud you are overworking his statement.
To take what he normally teaches - and what was quoted above - as Lordship Salvation is to go beyond the actual statement.

The statement goes close, but not quite that far, and to read his other material makes it plain that he does not hold to the position you are ascribing to him.

• Members

Repentance from sin certainly is taught in the Word of God.

In the Old Testament:

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The word "turn" in the above verse is transltated from  the Hebrew word "shuwb" and means repentance.  It can also be found in the book of Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Notice, in the verse above, the same Hebrew word for "Repent" is also used for the word "turn." 

In the New Testament:
Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Jesus gave Jezebel space to repent of what?  Not believing in God?  NO!  He gave her space to repent of her fornication.

Repentance is more than a change of mind.  It is also a turning from sin.  If one does not turn from sin, God will not hear his prayers.

Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:

Ezekiel 33:14-15 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right; If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Repentance from sin certainly is taught in the Word of God.

In the Old Testament:

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

The word "turn" in the above verse is transltated from the Hebrew word "shuwb" and means repentance. It can also be found in the book of Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Notice, in the verse above, the same Hebrew word for "Repent" is also used for the word "turn."

In the New Testament:
Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Jesus gave Jezebel space to repent of what? Not believing in God? NO! He gave her space to repent of her fornication.

Repentance is more than a change of mind. It is also a turning from sin. If one does not turn from sin, God will not hear his prayers.

Psalms 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:

Ezekiel 33:14-15 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right; If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.

I don't think typing in tongues is acceptable here.... :D

edit: did you change something before I quoted it? When I read it there were all sorts of "format text" and bits interspersed with the verse text. Now my joke makes no sense at all.... :( Edited by DaveW

• Members

I don't think typing in tongues is acceptable here.... :D

edit: did you change something before I quoted it? When I read it there were all sorts of "format text" and bits interspersed with the verse text. Now my joke makes no sense at all.... :(

The Hebrew was posted beside each word in the verses of the Old Testament.  The Greek was posted beside the words in the verses of the New. 

I took the Hebrew and Greek out.

• Members

The Hebrew was posted beside each word in the verses of the Old Testament. The Greek was posted beside the words in the verses of the New.

I took the Hebrew and Greek out.

And I wasn't fast enough to catch it.......

It was basically unreadable - which is no doubt why you changed it, but it was funny........ at the time. :D