• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Introducing Myself

Left the Bldg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, I agree - working at a home like that can really help us see how short life is!  We (my hubby and I) lead a Saturday morning service (well, he leads it...I just help with things like the music, stories, etc) at an area nursing home weekly.  We've been there for 12 years now and we've seen a lot of people pass on. Praise the Lord, the greater majority have been saved, some even through our ministry. What a blessing that is!  Kudos to you for being willing to spend time with them. I know it's a job, but I'm thinking that it's probably more than a job for you!

All of my Dad's family is still pentecostal (if they go to church at all).  The only one besides my Dad who left that is the uncle who is now in Heaven.  It's interesting - they are the only 2 (of 5 living) who joined the Navy and thus left the area.  They both got saved and became Baptist.  He is actually my step-Dad. I was 9 when he and my mother married.  We had gone to church some when we were younger, but I don't know what type (I only remember a little church at the end of our street. My sister and I had matching [other than the color] "granny dresses" - seriously, that's what they were called - and we wore them that day. LOL - the things we remember from our wee years!).

After they were married for a bit, a church bus captain came visiting the neighborhood (a different one from the one I mentioned above).  I was invited, said yes, and then promptly forgot about it.  The next Saturday I spent the night with a friend.  The bus captain came back; I felt really bad about missing the bus; I rode and really liked it.  The pastor then came to visit. It wasn't until years later that I found out that, for various reasons, my Mom had been praying that God would intervene in our lives.  And He did.  

The church was IFB (in fact, one of our members here, calvary, is a missionary sent out from that church) and less than 3 years old.  That was really our first experience with IFB (although in later years I found out that one of the first Baptist elders in America was my 11th generation back g-grandfather...he wasn't IFB [it didn't exist then], but he was Baptist...kinda neat, really!).  My Dad loved it, so did my Mom.  We moved from there (WA) to WVA, my Dad's home state.  We didn't live there for many years (we moved a lot when I was growing up), but were able to get to know family really well.  I think, had we lived near them before getting involved in Baptist circles, we likely would have become pentecostal simply because of the family.  I love my family dearly, but I do believe God protected us from that, knowing that we would be moving there.

My hubby's family isn't pentecostal, but there is some flavoring from it (his Grandma was, and his Mom never lost her belief that one could lose their salvation).  We have talked and prayed about it often.  It's so hard to know - are they saved?  Did they truly trust Christ?  Well, I'd have to say yes to many of them.  While they do believe they can lose it, when they were saved, they fully trusted Christ - and were later taught they could lose it.  It's a sad way to go through life.  I know we all have issues, but to not have peace in the heart about eternity - especially when we lose loved ones - would have to be miserable!

The tongues thing bothered me before I ever became Baptist. In fact, the friend I spent the night with the weekend I was supposed to ride the bus was pentecostal.  We attended her church the next morning. Quite a fancy church it was, too. And there were tongues.  Scared me, that's for sure!  :icon_smile:

It sounds like you are one busy lady!  We only have one son. He's married now and living about 3 1/2 hours away.  We don't get to see them very often, but love it when we can.  They haven't been married for a year yet, so no grandkids in the picture (just a granddogger).  But soon, we are hoping (they really want kids, too, so it isn't just us  :ROFL: ).

HappyChristian...are there two responding on the same profile name?   I see the pic of husband and wife (assuming) and always thought HappyChristian was the male in the pic responding to the posts.  I see LuAnn at the end of each post.  I just want to know who I am talking to.  Silly me.

• Administrators

HappyChristian...are there two responding on the same profile name?   I see the pic of husband and wife (assuming) and always thought HappyChristian was the male in the pic responding to the posts.  I see LuAnn at the end of each post.  I just want to know who I am talking to.  Silly me.

Oh, no - I'm LuAnne.  The man in the pic is my son, Joshua. Handsome fella, isn't he?  hehehe

• Members

Oh, no - I'm LuAnne.  The man in the pic is my son, Joshua. Handsome fella, isn't he?  hehehe

Awesome!  Ok...that makes a difference in how I read and respond because men and women relate differently in how we speak. Okay...nice to meet you officially, LuAnne.  Ha ha!  Handsome son...yes.  You must be very proud.

I used to volunteer at a nursing home with the IFB church I attend now.  They went on Saturdays and preached and sang to the residents.  I stopped because I started having some health issues (I'm ok now) but now I get to work at one.  They also have people come in and do services.  One is nondenominational and the other is Catholic.  I encourage people to go to the nondenominational one.  Those are the only two choices.  

I can't imagine being a grandmother yet because my youngest is 5.  I'm 47 but I'm not ready yet!  Ha ha.  I want my girls to finish school and mature and I pray to God they find the kind of spouse that is Christian and supportive.  Sadly, it took me a second time to find that.  I don't want them to go through that.

• Administrators

Awesome!  Ok...that makes a difference in how I read and respond because men and women relate differently in how we speak. So true! Okay...nice to meet you officially, LuAnne.  You, too.  :th_tiphat:  Ha ha!  Handsome son...yes.  You must be very proud. I am.  I love him dearly. Just a wee bit more about us - he was in the National Guard, also.  Military service runs deep in our blood, and he served for a while. He's in the last year of his two year IRR and has a feeling he'll be called back up because of what's going on internationally....

I used to volunteer at a nursing home with the IFB church I attend now.  They went on Saturdays and preached and sang to the residents.  I stopped because I started having some health issues (I'm ok now) but now I get to work at one.  They also have people come in and do services.  One is nondenominational and the other is Catholic.  I encourage people to go to the nondenominational one.  Those are the only two choices.  I hear you. The home we minister in has JW services, Catholic, sometimes Mormon, nondenom, and pentecostal, plus one evening a week with "Pastor Deborah." It's a Bible Therapy class. The class premise is actually a good idea, but...

I can't imagine being a grandmother yet because my youngest is 5.  I'm 47 but I'm not ready yet!  Ha ha.  I want my girls to finish school and mature and I pray to God they find the kind of spouse that is Christian and supportive.  Sadly, it took me a second time to find that.  I don't want them to go through that. I don't blame you in the least bit.  Who our kids marry affect us in many ways.  And you are wise to encourage your girls to finish school and mature.

• Members

My oldest daughter was going to join National Guard but now wants to be a veterinarian.  She loves animals.  More like obsessed with them.  She lives in FL so is unfortunate I can't see her much.  My other daughter is going to school for nursing.  It doesn't matter how old they get.  They're still your babies.  :-)

• Administrators

My oldest daughter was going to join National Guard but now wants to be a veterinarian.  She loves animals.  More like obsessed with them.  She lives in FL so is unfortunate I can't see her much.  My other daughter is going to school for nursing.  It doesn't matter how old they get.  They're still your babies.  :-) Man, that's true!

A veterinarian and a nurse - nice! It's hard when our family lives so far away.  We don't have any family that live here, and our son is 3 1/2 hours away.  Close, but still not close enough.  My family is all on the west coast, and my hubby's is all in OH.  So, distance to travel whichever way we go, and it's not easy to get off work for my hubby. 

• Members

A veterinarian and a nurse - nice! It's hard when our family lives so far away.  We don't have any family that live here, and our son is 3 1/2 hours away.  Close, but still not close enough.  My family is all on the west coast, and my hubby's is all in OH.  So, distance to travel whichever way we go, and it's not easy to get off work for my hubby. 

Most of my family is in MI.  I met some family from CO on facebook.  We made arrangements to meet in summer and they came to WI (where I live).  That was awesome meeting them for the first time even though their mother was my dad's sister.  I don't always care for facebook because of negativity on it but used to connect with some amazing people.

• Administrators

Most of my family is in MI.  I met some family from CO on facebook.  We made arrangements to meet in summer and they came to WI (where I live).  That was awesome meeting them for the first time even though their mother was my dad's sister.  I don't always care for facebook because of negativity on it but used to connect with some amazing people.

That is really neat!  I've been able to meet distant relatives that way, too.  We live in NW Indiana.

• Administrators

I am not real fond of the weather here.  I'm originally from Seattle, and I like the weather in that area better.

I'd like to talk more to you, too, any time.  :clapping:

I do work at the library here in town. I post on here for my breaks.  :icon_smile:

Have a good day.

• Members

My name is Laura.  I am married and  have 6 kids.  4 girls and 2 boys.  Ages 21 (girl), 19 (girl), 13 (boy and girl twins), 7 (girl) and 5 (boy).  My 5 year old has autism.  He's high functioning and has been in therapy (which I am very involved in) for about 2 yrs now and just started K-4 this year.

I only work on weekends at an assisted living facility working with elderly and memory care residents. My husband is a detective.  

Thank you so much for introducing yourself and welcome to the forum!

Would you like to share your testimony with us as well Mrs. Jones?

Welcome aboard, Laura. My mother is in an assisted living facility...good health except for the memory issues, severe osteo, and the propensity to fall. Your work, although challenging is a blessing to many. God bless you and I hope you have settled the eternal security questions.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Archived