• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Facebook

Eric Stahl

• Members

Actually candle, it is easy not be on facebook.
I never signed up and if something is on facebook that I want to see I miss out...... ;)

Seriously, I have nothing against it - I have seen it misused and used well.
Another example of a tool which is blamed for errors of the operator.
But I have also never felt it necessary for me - so I don't.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually candle, it is easy not be on facebook.
I never signed up and if something is on facebook that I want to see I miss out...... ;)

Seriously, I have nothing against it - I have seen it misused and used well.
Another example of a tool which is blamed for errors of the operator.
But I have also never felt it necessary for me - so I don't.

I wish I never signed up for Facebook.  It is b/c of two people, on this forum, almost 6 years ago... that I signed up.  Online Baptist is on Facebook, though, Dave.  Do non Facebook users have posts made available on that site? 

I must say that I am very happy that I left FB.  Too much drama for me.  There were so many Christians setting a bad example to the lost.  I told a friend, had I not been saved before Facebook, I most likely wouldn't be. 

• Members

I'm having an issue with a relative on Facebook right now. I love her to death, but she's a Bama fan and every time I go on Facebook, all I see is her Alabama nonsense. I don't want to see that garbage.

I don't want to unfriend her, because we were always close when we were younger, but it's getting really annoying.

• Members

I have just made contact with a cousin on facebook who I do not ever remember meeting.  I have photos of him as a young boy and some of his siblings.  he is well into his 80s now and living in Australia, so I don't expect I will ever meet him.  I have met two of his sisters in the last couple of years.  Their mother died in 1941 and the father had two boys and the 3 girls went into Barnardos.  

• Members

Wow! That is really neat, Invicta!

Yes I think so.  My sister got in touch with two surviving female cousins and we met them at her house a couple of years ago. My sister also found a letter from their mother to my parents, just before she died saying that she hoped to be home soon with her baby. She also said that Grandad tried to get grandma to go to relative in Oxfordshire to escape the German bombing on London, but grandma refused.  She always refused to go to the bomb shelter, but one night a neighbour managed to get her to go to the shelter, and that night her apartment block was destroyed by a German V1 flying bomb.

• Administrators

Yes I think so.  My sister got in touch with two surviving female cousins and we met them at her house a couple of years ago. My sister also found a letter from their mother to my parents, just before she died saying that she hoped to be home soon with her baby. She also said that Grandad tried to get grandma to go to relative in Oxfordshire to escape the German bombing on London, but grandma refused.  She always refused to go to the bomb shelter, but one night a neighbour managed to get her to go to the shelter, and that night her apartment block was destroyed by a German V1 flying bomb.

Oh, my!  So neat to know how God protected her!

I love old letters.  I spent a bit of time going through my grandma's letters after she died (still have a lot to go through).  There were letters from her grandmother and aunt.  Now, keep in mind that my grandmother was just shy of 102 when she died - these letters are over 60 years old! Probably older, I just know they are at least that old. I loved reading them - a slice of history that is actually mine!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would not be able to witness to some of my unsaved family members as easily if it wasn't for facebook. My profile name is Damon Lee Gang on facebook by the way ... Some of my christian friends also witness to my family. We need to use every avenue available to reach the lost short of violating our personal holiness/convictions.

• Members

I would not be able to witness to some of my unsaved family members as easily if it wasn't for facebook. My profile name is Damon Lee Gang on facebook by the way ... Some of my christian friends also witness to my family. We need to use every avenue available to reach the lost short of violating our personal holiness/convictions.

I also use Facebook to share Christ to my unsaved family members.  Using my maiden name brings alot of them out of the "woodwork".  When used with discernment, the internet is an excellent avenue to reach the lost.

• Members

I read this post on Fb from my (foster) son in the US.

Daniel wrote: "It's tragic the sheer number of kids that are in shelters or homeless. This morning was the first time in a long while that I felt that I had done something worthwhile; not the act of serving others but the removal of my blinkers. All around us there are children in harms way while we live in relative luxury. Today I met a ten year old boy with his mother and five month old baby brother, Angel. They live in a shelter. Angel had had no formula for two days and his mother was attempting to feed him mashed potatoes until someone drive to the store and bought formula for him. Mom was tired, overwhelmed and washed out. I'm telling you this to paint a picture of the circumstances surrounding the elder brothers life. Yet he was the most polite and wonderful kid you could ever meet who doted on his baby brother. His eyes got huge with gratitude when I gave him an extra pumpkin pie for desert. A desert made him genuinely happy. This life of his is not his choice but the way he meets it is. This holiday season, when we are passing out our gifts to our children and giving thanks for all we have, please have this family, and all the others like them, in your thoughts. And ensure that when we say what we are thankful for that we genuinely understand what that means. Today I am thankful for the folks who gave me a leg up in life. For my foster parents for giving me the fortitude and confidence to be independent early on in life so that I could go ahead and become somewhat successful and ensure that my kids have a life that is free from harm. For my foster sister Joan who always stood by my side regardless of my flakiness. And for Simon Godwin. We always give you a hard time Si but if it wasn't for you back in 97 believing in me and putting me on the right path, I wouldn't be where I am. I will continue to give warm wholehearted thanks throughout the day. Life is beautiful."

• Members

Thanks for liking that folks.  I must admit that when I read that to my wife this morning I broke down in tears.  When I think of all the problems we had at the time, when I read something like that I feel that it was all worthy while, although it sometimes did not feel like it at the time.  

Archived