• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lesser of two evils thread question

• Members
Good thoughts, Jess. Judgment has actually been hitting America for some time. But it's been in small doses. We are in for much worse. And if Obama gets in, it will come all the sooner. He can, by presidential fiat, completely outlaw our guns, strip us of our right to petition for redress of grievances (in other words - nothing can be said against him...as some tv and radio stations have been finding out) and so forth.

We aren't going to vote for someone who has no chance to win - my hubby and I feel that is not a responsible vote on our part (not saying so about anyone else...), so we are casting our vote for the only possible person who can beat Obama to the White House. McCain. Is he a great choice? No. But he isn't Obama. Lesser of two evils? If someone wants to tag it as such, so be it. We don't see it that way. We see it as trying to defend America from what an Obama administration will bring. Yes, I know things will continue to get worse, the Bible tells us that. But we are not going to just sit by and let it come.

FWIW - I know of many godly people who pray daily for revival, who truly want to see God's blessings back on this land. And they are voting for McCain - actually against Obama, for the only one who can beat him, just like we are. And they've prayed about it. A great bit. As have my hubby and I. Voting against Obama by voting for the only one who can beat him isn't a wrong thing to do - nor does it mean the Christians who do so haven't sought God in the matter.

The only thing that is nagging me from taking this approach to the election, is that it isn't over yet......if every single Christian chose that "irresponsible vote" and all wrote in the exact same person, I don't believe BO would win. I'm still mulling this election over.........my hubby and I are registered to vote, it is not as if we couldn't vote for McCain if we wanted to. Some of you might wonder why I put this in the IFB forum, but I don't think this question would sit well with some of the others on the board, and I'm asking you guys because I think of a lot of you as much more mature than I am and I'm struggling with this issue. My question is this: Is there any chance that the Lord can be testing us as Christians to see if we will take a stand AGAINST the two evil choices? I understand the point that some have made about judgements etc. but is it possible that it is a test? Will there be a penalty to pay if we vote FOR McCain? I know some have also said in the past that we are voting for a president and not a pastor, and I understand that.....he isn't going to be doctrinally perfect and such, but I just CRINGE when I hear people say we should leave our faith out of politics and everything else that basically is not the church building.....what do you guys think?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any chance that the Lord can be testing us as Christians to see if we will take a stand AGAINST the two evil choices? I understand the point that some have made about judgements etc. but is it possible that it is a test? Will there be a penalty to pay if we vote FOR McCain? I know some have also said in the past that we are voting for a president and not a pastor' date=' and I understand that.....he isn't going to be doctrinally perfect and such, but I just CRINGE when I hear people say we should leave our faith out of politics and everything else that basically is not the church building.....what do you guys think?[/quote']

Oh...I have thought this for a very long time...bzmomo7. Of course, no one around here listens to me, though. :bang: I do think that it is highly possible. I am glad that you posted this again...although, their are peeps on the main board that I think might be able to shed some light on this, too. God bless. :smile

• Members
I am not trying to discount the people on the main board, but several of the political threads seem to catch BO sympathizers and I wanted it to stay more focused if you know what I mean, and not end up in a re-hashed debate. We've talked a lot around this question, but I haven't seen anyone address it head on yet....unless I missed it somewhere--and that is possible, if I did, I apologize.

True. :smile Yes...we have a couple of BO sympathizers on the main board. Why??? I'll never figure out. :puzzled: You are correct...this should be addressed head on. Oh...I am not stopping this at all. :lol It should be talked about here. Great point...bzmomo7! :thumb

• Members
True. :smile Yes...we have a couple of BO sympathizers on the main board. Why??? I'll never figure out. :puzzled: You are correct...this should be addressed head on. Oh...I am not stopping this at all. :lol It should be talked about here. Great point...bzmomo7! :thumb

Yeah, I find it personally quite irritating when I'm asking a question and I WANT an IFB perspective only and it gets into a side debate about something IFB's generally believe.

I just get so tired of liberals. I have enough of them around where I live. I feel consumed by them. Must I have them on OB? :lol Whew...this will be much better. :Green Good thinking. Let's see what IFB's have to say?

Yeah, I find it personally quite irritating when I'm asking a question and I WANT an IFB perspective only and it gets into a side debate about something IFB's generally believe.

Well, that is what the IFB forum is here for. :Green

As far as your question, I personally cannot bring myself to vote for McCain. George Bush was as far as I am willing to go. I think McCain would be worse. As far as the whole vote for McCain to stop OB idea, it is not something I endorse, but it isn't something I get worked up about either. Some things are not worth fighting over, and to me, this is one of them. If someone can vote for McCain without feeling guilty about it, they are certainly more than welcome, I just will not be voting that way personally. :Green

George Bush was as far as I am willing to go.

:lol Texas would know. :thumb

but it isn't something I get worked up about either.

So...you can feel the heat?

Thanks for your input, Seth. Well said, brother. :goodpost:

We still aren't 100% sure what we are doing. The Lord will be our guide. You can't go wrong with God. :amen:

• Members

Well, that is what the IFB forum is here for. :Green

As far as your question, I personally cannot bring myself to vote for McCain. George Bush was as far as I am willing to go. I think McCain would be worse. As far as the whole vote for McCain to stop OB idea, it is not something I endorse, but it isn't something I get worked up about either. Some things are not worth fighting over, and to me, this is one of them. If someone can vote for McCain without feeling guilty about it, they are certainly more than welcome, I just will not be voting that way personally. :Green

Seth,
Do you personally feel any conviction that God doesn't want you to vote for McCain or is it just what you decided based upon Christian standards? The reason why I'm asking is because it keeps coming to my mind that God protected Elijah from Jezebel and He can protect us Christians during an Obama presidency, too. If I choose to vote for McCain whom I believe IS the lesser of two evils, will God still protect our family the same way being that I would have voted out of fear and not trust? Does that make any sense?

Seth,
Do you personally feel any conviction that God doesn't want you to vote for McCain or is it just what you decided based upon Christian standards?

To be honest I do not feel God has "convicted" me about not voting for McCain, but I do not believe it to be the wisest thing to do based loosely on biblical principles.

If I choose to vote for McCain whom I believe IS the lesser of two evils, will God still protect our family the same way being that I would have voted out of fear and not trust? Does that make any sense?

Well, I don't believe it would be biblical to vote for McCain out of fear of OB, as you say God is in control no matter who is the president. Any Christian should be able to agree with that. :Green Now if your voting out of fear you might want to spend time asking God for faith to trust him no matter who wins, but not everyone who doesn't like McCain and plans to vote for him anyway is going to be voting out of "fear" per se. Many simply believe that it is there duty to vote for the "best" person who "might" win whether they like him or not.

Biblically what so ever is not of faith is sin. If you can vote for McCain in faith that is one thing, but the fear of man is a snare; it is not of God. As to whether or not he can protect your family anyway, sure he can. :Green God is greater than our heart. To go back to something you mentioned about God protecting Elijah from Jezebel, when did he do that? He still did it when Elijah was being faithless and running in fear of his life right? Not an ideal stuation, not something that Elijah should have done, but God is gracious. :wink

• Members

I don't see any individual punishment from God regarding our voting in the election....good point about conscience....if your conscience tells you not to vote McCain, by all means don't...but otherwise I don't see God as sitting around waiting to "get" people who vote for the wrong guy.

I think I'm still voting McCain....I've mulled over Baldwin a bit but honestly I just can't do it. I'm sure you all know what I think about it by now....I still feel we are voting in lost politicians, not a pastor....that's just me.

I feel like Suzy and LuAnne could be my hubby's sisters. You girls speak just like him. :Green You 2 gals are so political. :-) That is a compliment...BTW. :thumb

• Members

To be honest I do not feel God has "convicted" me about not voting for McCain, but I do not believe it to be the wisest thing to do based loosely on biblical principles.

Well, I don't believe it would be biblical to vote for McCain out of fear of OB, as you say God is in control no matter who is the president. Any Christian should be able to agree with that. :Green Now if your voting out of fear you might want to spend time asking God for faith to trust him no matter who wins, but not everyone who doesn't like McCain and plans to vote for him anyway is going to be voting out of "fear" per se. Many simply believe that it is there duty to vote for the "best" person who "might" win whether they like him or not.

Biblically what so ever is not of faith is sin. If you can vote for McCain in faith that is one thing, but the fear of man is a snare; it is not of God. As to whether or not he can protect your family anyway, sure he can. :Green God is greater than our heart. To go back to something you mentioned about God protecting Elijah from Jezebel, when did he do that? He still did it when Elijah was being faithless and running in fear of his life right? Not an ideal stuation, not something that Elijah should have done, but God is gracious. :wink

If it only seemed that simple to me! Right now, my heart is not behind McCain. The more I see and hear, the more I feel that way.

• Members

I wrote a post here but somehow it disappeared. Here goes again...

I am torn this election more so than any other. Obama is very undesirable and McCain... well, he has his problems too. I read an article about keeping Obama out by voting for McCain and I agree with that and then I read an article about voting 3rd party and I find myself agreeing with what is being said there too. :bonK: