• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Entire Month Of Preaching On Tithing?

Miss Daisy

• Members

Totally agree! However the question was not should we; but are we.

Truth be known, any that bow to the man-made doctrine of tithing their income to the Church are not being good stewards, imo.

As post #10 states, many take that 10% to the Church and ignore needs in their own family or in their own community.  The general consensus is, "I've given God what He requires... I need do no more."

Truth is, God doesn't require that 10% go to the Church.  He never has required that in Scripture.  But His Word does tell us

1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

I wonder how many "tither's" have shut up their bowels of compassion in their own neighborhood all so they could bow to a man-made doctrine?  How many go "whoring after their own inventions" and neglect the widow, the orphan, etc., who are in their own neighnorhoods?

Truly saddening when one reflects on the seriousness of the matter.

Psalms 106:39 Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes she is going to college.

Lefton,

If she is staying at home, you need to contact your local Social Security Administration and make sure some funds continue.  At present, all you get is that $66 for her (which, granted, isn't much) but every little bit helps.  Unless rules have changed, she should be receiving until she is 22 as long as she is furthering her education.

• Members

Lefton,

If she is staying at home, you need to contact your local Social Security Administration and make sure some funds continue.  At present, all you get is that $66 for her (which, granted, isn't much) but every little bit helps.  Unless rules have changed, she should be receiving until she is 22 as long as she is furthering her education.

I'll check into it. Thanks for info!

• Members

Just checked the Social Security Website. 

Things have changed some.  Here is what they say:

Your unmarried children who are under 18 (up to age 19 if attending elementary or secondary school full time) can be eligible to receive Social Security benefits when you die.

And your child can get benefits at any age if he or she was disabled before age 22 and remains disabled.

Besides your natural children, your stepchildren, grandchildren, step grandchildren or adopted children may receive benefits under certain circumstances.

It appears that you have yet another year if your daughter is in College.  Contact your local SSA before February to let them know.

• Members

everything else stops when she turns 18. I only get $66 a month for her as it is.

I think you may be right. I found this, that is if it applies in your case.

Under social security rules Sam’s children may receive benefits so long as they are not married and under the age of 18. Once the child reaches the age of 18 the benefit will discontinue unless the child in enrolled in elementary or secondary education. If the child is enrolled is elementary or secondary education, then his or her benefits will continue until the child graduates, or two months after that child reaches the age of 19, whichever occurs first.

It seems there's no benefits for the child after they reach 18 & graduate & or 19.

Yet it would not hurt to check in about it if you have not already done so at a local Social Security office. All of that stuff is so complicated.

• Members

Proper stewardship for the saved can be learned by reading Matthew 25:34-40; 2 Corinthians 8:12-13 & 2Corinthians 9:6-7

Matthew 25:34 (KJV) 34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Matthew 25:35 (KJV) 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Matthew 25:36 (KJV) 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Matthew 25:37 (KJV) 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink?

Matthew 25:38 (KJV) 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]?

Matthew 25:39 (KJV) 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

Matthew 25:40 (KJV) 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.

2 Corinthians 8:12 (KJV) 12 For if there be first a willing mind, [it is] accepted according to that a man hath, [and] not according to that he hath not.

2 Corinthians 8:13 (KJV) 13 For [i mean] not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:

2 Corinthians 9:6 (KJV) 6 But this [i say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (KJV) 7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.1385053_10202520279034481_88200234_n.jpg

• Members

lefton, search out the principles of the tithe, and not necessarily the word tithe.  One man has been feeding you with his opinion on tithing--he definitely has a hang up on that doctrine.  Don't allow yourself to be influenced by any of us, but let the Holy Spirit teach you what is truth, that's His job anyway.  The Old Testament was an entirely different culture, but it is a "shadow (as explained in Col 2:17 and Heb. 10:1)  There are other things that are obviously "shadows" of the New Testament (Tabernacle, Temple=church; storehouse=church, etc.)  Please consider that though men change and cultures change, the principle of the Word og God never change, they are "settled in Heaven".

Hope this helps.

• Members

I think you may be right. I found this, that is if it applies in your case.

Under social security rules Sam’s children may receive benefits so long as they are not married and under the age of 18. Once the child reaches the age of 18 the benefit will discontinue unless the child in enrolled in elementary or secondary education. If the child is enrolled is elementary or secondary education, then his or her benefits will continue until the child graduates, or two months after that child reaches the age of 19, whichever occurs first.

It seems there's no benefits for the child after they reach 18 & graduate & or 19.

Yet it would not hurt to check in about it if you have not already done so at a local Social Security office. All of that stuff is so complicated.

Secondary school is high school. She graduates high school in May. No benefits for her after that. She'll be going to a public university for pre-med.

• Members

There is no such animal as a "principle of tithe."

If God wanted such a principle, He would have had ALL Israelites tithe, and not just the farmers and herders.  But He did not have all tithe, did He?  Only those who grew crops and bred livestock were required to tithe.

The tithe was from the increase that God gave to man.  Man could plant a seed, man could water that seed.  But no matter what that man did, he could not bring life to that seed and cause it to grow.... God gave the increase. 

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Likewise, no matter what man does with his livestock, it is God that gives the increase.

There is no "principle of tithe."

The tithes were to go to the Levites... not at the Temple, but in their Levitical cities.  Then, the Levites were to take a tithe of the tithe to the Temple.  That's right... only 1% of all the increase of Israel went to the Temple storehouse, not 10%.

Where is the principle, Irishman?  The facts are, money was in abundance during the Mosaic/Levitic Law... Yet, God did not want money as the tithe.  Money was abundant.  It was used to buy and sell slaves.  It was used for court fines.  It was used for Temple vows, Temple Taxes.and poll taxes.  It was used to buy tithes.  It was used as marriage dowry.  Yet, it was never tithed.

There is no such thing as "principle of tithe." 

Why no mention of instruction of the Church to tithe anywhere in the New Testament?  Because tithing was an ordinance of the Mosaic/Levitic Law and the Lord Jesus Christ abolished the ordinances.

There is no "principle of tithing."

Archived