• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Entire Month Of Preaching On Tithing?

Miss Daisy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True, Dave. 

But it is a historical fact that the ancient tithe laws were not taught in the Early Church.  They were resurrected in 585 A.D., at the Council of Macon... a Catholic Council.  For the first couple hundred years after being resurrected, the tithes were the same as in the Mosaic/Levitic Law... of agricultural products.  It was not until 777 A.D. that the Catholic Church once again convened and a decision was made to include money in the list of tithable items.

All recorded historical facts.  Those who teach the monetary tithe requirement doctrine are teaching Catholic doctrine and don't even realize it.

• Members

It was a good question, and a good deflection.

Standing firm has given his position about giving way back on April 5th, at 4:42pm post # 27 in reply to a RSS thread from David Cloud: Tithe and the Christian.

He does not give to any church because he does not attend one. He was booted out in what he called a "secret meeting" because he did not tithe/give and usurped the pastor's leadership by teaching that tithes are a man made doctrine and so doing, sowed discord among the brethren at that church. He is on a fixed income so therefore does not give. Others are on a fixed income as well and still tithe. If that's how God leads you, then so be it. 

Its there, in his own words, go look it up.

He is always quick to respond to ANYTHING about giving/tithes. That's his right to do so. You gotta admit, he's got a lot of resources to quote from. Even has his own forum for his personal views and any who agrees with him. Call him what you want but lazy and uneducated are not among them.

And just about every thread he does respond in, gets locked by the admins.

I forsee this one getting locked down soon too.

Dr. Roberson

So then he wouldn't give anyway. Why even discuss the issue if this is the case.

I wouldn't get into a long drawn out discussion about voting if I never planned to vote to begin with.

• Members

DaveW....what's a "high church"?

Most often in relation to CoE/Anglican but also used generally of Catholic/Lutheran/Orthodox etc.
It relates to the big organised churches which considered themselves above the others.
Anglicans have had two tiers - High, with all the Robes, ceremony, structured priesthood etc; and low, which have at times been almost biblical in their structure, polity, and in some instances teaching.

basically High church is the big grand ceremony type churches, and low church are the independent type non-conformists (wild generalisation there by the way).

• Members

Post #68 is what is written in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

It is not necessarily "Catholic", it is information on the history of tithing after the first century. If anything, it reveals where the monetary tithe requirement doctrine originated...in the Catholic church.

And sadly, IFB's and other denominations went whoring after that "Catholic" invention.

Psalms 106:39 (KJV) 39 Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.

Yes, I know, that's why I mentioned Catholic.

History outside of the Bible is not God's Word, & we don't build doctrine of word of man, need to stay in the Bible, least that's how I see it. 

Oh, Catholic & tithing has come up.

Tithing is absolutely still necessary in the Catholic Church today. When God introduced the concept of the tithe in the Old Testament He told the Israelites this contribution was necessary from them to support the work of the Levites and the poor in the community. Today our Church still needs our support to pay the expenses and financial obligations it incurs as it operates in a commercial society. Salaries, benefits, insurance, maintenance, utilities and service fees are all expenses that never even existed when Our Lord first decreed that each of us was to give back a percentage of what we have. Additionally, we are still called to care for the poor among us.

And this one seems not to teach tithing.

Archived