• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Entire Month Of Preaching On Tithing?

Miss Daisy

• Members

Eat the meat, spit out the bones.

Just because a Quaker is not IFB does not mean that he is wrong on all topics of the Bible.

Likewise, just because we IFB's are not Quakers does not mean we are right on every topic.

For the record, I disagree with the majority of the Quakers core beliefs.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its called context.
The comments are information, not condemnation, and make no judgement on the subject.

As was rightly pointed out the association with Catholicism would tend the guy the other way - which also CoE would, assuming it was high church CoE.
"Noted historian" is hardly a black mark either.

Context.....
I could make up names or quote friends. These are real people who wrote real books and articles.

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

ASongOfDegrees, on 08 Nov 2013 - 5:14 PM, said:snapback.png

would I give either way? Good question.

It was a good question, and a good deflection.

Standing firm has given his position about giving way back on April 5th, at 4:42pm post # 27 in reply to a RSS thread from David Cloud: Tithe and the Christian.

He does not give to any church because he does not attend one. He was booted out in what he called a "secret meeting" because he did not tithe/give and usurped the pastor's leadership by teaching that tithes are a man made doctrine and so doing, sowed discord among the brethren at that church. He is on a fixed income so therefore does not give. Others are on a fixed income as well and still tithe. If that's how God leads you, then so be it. 

Its there, in his own words, go look it up.

He is always quick to respond to ANYTHING about giving/tithes. That's his right to do so. You gotta admit, he's got a lot of resources to quote from. Even has his own forum for his personal views and any who agrees with him. Call him what you want but lazy and uneducated are not among them.

And just about every thread he does respond in, gets locked by the admins.

I forsee this one getting locked down soon too.

Dr. Roberson

• Members

You are falsely accusing. Both my wife and I gave whenever we had the money to give. We did not, however, bow to the deceptive words of the pastor who said we are to tithe our money.

It was a secret meeting. We were not informed it was to take place. We were informed of the meeting after it had taken place..
I

The fact that it was a unanimous decision is proof that I did not sow discord among the Brethren. Nor did I usurp the pastors authority. I did not teach anything for or against tithing at that Church.
Get your facts straight .

• Members

No-one at my church knows who gives what when. We have offering bags and we rarely get cheques. Two years ago was the last cheque. Otherwise it is all cash, and the hands fit right into the bags so no-one else can see what you put in. Or don't.

It is no-one else's business - it is between you and God.

• Members

As it should be, Dave.

However, at the Church we were voted out of, the pastor made sure it was his business (even though he was not one of the treasurers) he would confront non tithers one-on-one about their not tithing. Then he would turn around and say from the pulpit that he didn't know who was and who was not tithing.

• Members

Post #68 is what is written in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

It is not necessarily "Catholic", it is information on the history of tithing after the first century. If anything, it reveals where the monetary tithe requirement doctrine originated...in the Catholic church.

And sadly, IFB's and other denominations went whoring after that "Catholic" invention.

Psalms 106:39 (KJV) 39 Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.

• Members

As an ex Catholic, the RCC doesn't even require people to tithe, anyway.

candlelight, while it may be true that your catholic church did not teach tithing, it is also true that some catholic churches do. I have found catholic sites that teach for and some that teach against. Some teach to divide the tithe to different causes.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

To tell you the truth, Matthew, my wife and I gave to the Church what we were able to give.  Some Sundays it was only a few dollars, some five, some more.  We are on disability and have bills and household needs and scripture says we are to take care of household first or we are worse than an infidel.

We no longer give to the Church.  Why not, you may ask?  Because, the IFB Church that we were members of for seven years until the middle of last year, had a secret meeting and voted us out because we did not put money in their tithing envelopes and because we taught against the man-made doctrine of the monetary tithe.

Yes, it is a man-made doctrine.  It is found nowhere within the pages of God's Holy Word.

Why do I say the Church had a "secret meeting"?  Because we were not informed of the meeting until after it had already taken place.  And then, it was by email we were notified.  The ones who voted us out were too cowardly to tell us to our face of the meeting and result. 

How can we still be IFB if we are not in Church?  We still hold to the IFB beliefs (except for that ungodly doctrine of a monetary tithe) and we still listen to IFB messages online.

Here is the full post from back in April. I will stand corrected by this: you did give to the church, while you were still members.

You are right, I am wrong. Forgive me.

Here's where the water gets muddy: You taught agents the tithe, calling it a man made doctrine, while still a member of that church.

Were you teaching a Sunday school when you did this? From the pulpit? If you were not given the authority from the pastor (and possibly the deacons) then you usurped his authority.

And because you were not envited to the meeting does not mean it was a secret meeting.

Was some heavy handed politics used by that pastor agents you? Kinda looks like it.

If you believe the tithe is wrong, why did you give when you were a member? or was it a free will offering?

Have you found a church to attend yet?

Dr. Roberson

• Members

candlelight, while it may be true that your catholic church did not teach tithing, it is also true that some catholic churches do. I have found catholic sites that teach for and some that teach against. Some teach to divide the tithe to different causes.

I don't know of any RCC that teaches tithing, SFIC.  It may be outlined in the doctrine of the RCC, but it is not taught.  The RCC relies on people who have a lot of money.  For example, I know a family, who donated an altar to an RCC church, years ago.

• Members

Here is the full post from back in April. I will stand corrected by this: you did give to the church, while you were still members.

Here's where the water gets muddy: You taught agents the tithe, calling it a man made doctrine, while still a member of that church.

Were you teaching a Sunday school when you did this? From the pulpit? If you were not given the authority from the pastor (and possibly the deacons) then you usurped his authority.

And because you were not envited to the meeting does not mean it was a secret meeting.

Was some heavy handed politics used by that pastor agents you? Kinda looks like it.

If you believe the tithe is wrong, why did you give when you were a member? or was it a free will offering?

Dr. Roberson

The monetary tithe requirement doctrine is man-made.  It cannot be found anywhere in Scripture.

No, I was not teaching Sunday School, nor was I teaching from the pulpit.  I taught outside the walls of the Church... not even in their parking lot.  When I did teach the truth concerning tithing, I did not represent the Church at all.  I was not sent by the pastor to teach, nor was I elected by any deacons to teach. 

Rather, it is God's Word that elicited the urge to teach the truth.

Yes, the pastor was heavy-handed.  By the way, he is also no longer a member of that Church.  He did his dirty work turning the ears of the hearers against the truth and then moved to Florida to deceive another congregation.

All my giving has been free will offering, just as the Bible prescribes our giving should be.

As to our finding another Church yet, no... we haven't.  We are IFB, and that Church is the only IFB in this town.  Our limited income does not afford us the luxury of driving 30 miles to Church 3 times a week.  So, we stay at home and listen to sermons by IFB pastors readily available on the internet.

• Members

Dr. Roberson

"You taught agents the tithe, calling it a man made doctrine, while still a member of that church."   What are "agents the tithe"?

The monetary tithe is a man-made doctrine.  The Biblical OT tithe was never money.

That meeting was a "secret meeting" if members are not told that there is going to be a meeting of the "members" at a certain time and place.  At that time, we were still members and we were never informed about a meeting....that makes it "secret".  In addition, the "secret" meeting was about confronting us.  We were not even allowed to "defend" ourselves. Even a criminal is allowed to defend himself in a court of law.  Basically, that meeting was a farce.  The leaders of that church had 4 months to "confront" us, and did nothing until they called that "secret" meeting.  We were informed of the "results" of the "unanimous" vote by email. 

No, we have not found another church.

• Members

The High churches all taught a "tax" at times in the past - and most often more than 10% which is the literal meaning of the word tithe.
And it was enforced by the governments of the time who were owned by (or owned) the high churches.

Archived