• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Entire Month Of Preaching On Tithing?

Miss Daisy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Our pastor is doing the whole month on tithing and stewardship. That's two sermons every Sunday. (Wed. night is for kids). Then we have a guest speaker so when he comes it'll be 5 sermons in 3 days on tithing and stewardship. He started last Sunday so we've already 4 sermons in 2 Sundays on it.

I love guest speakers but I really don't want to hear any more on tithing already.

I'm on a fixed income so I can't go above and beyond and promise to tithe more no matter how good the sermon. I know what I make every month. It'll actually be going down some in Feb. So I'll be tithing less.

I don't like being told that God is going to get his tithe one way or another. If my car breaks down, that's not God getting the money it's the mechanic.

It's as if I'm being told my blessings are stifled because I CANT give anymore than I do. It's not a lack of faith, it's a lack of money. I already try to tithe above 10%, some months I can and some months I can't.

Some pastors totally change a church, & that church becomes all about money. I was once in such a church, a Sunday never went by that the pastor did not speak about money, with him saying we have to dig down into our pockets & give.

The truth is if he fed the sheep the proper food he would not have had to bring up money every time he stood behind the pulpit & preach on giving at least once per month. I confess, every time he did this I felt so sorry for the elderly people in that church, probably 1/4 of the congregation, maybe more, was made up of elderly who survive on $800.00 per month or less. He stole their cheerfulness every week.

Some pastors have no shame when it comes to money, the more money given builds up their resume, & helps them climb the latter of success, being called to a church with many members & a big collection plate that’s overflowing. 

Tithing is not taught in the New Testament, it is a doctrine of men who tries to steal every Christians grace, & cheerfulness.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver

2Co 8:5 And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.

Don’t let a teacher or pastor that proclaims tithing steal your cheerfulness, they surely will if you let them. I feel sure many a man hated Jesus when He complimented the poor widow who threw in her two mites. And today many church members still looks down on the poor widow or widower & or even the married couple who has several children with a small income, when it comes to giving. Thinking if they would give God more & be as good as them them God would them bless them as He blesses them with lots of money. As one man said during church services, “The Lord blesses me & my wife with lots of money because we are very good Christians. And he would do everyone the same way if they were good Christians & give as we do.”

And yes, some will try their best to tear my thoughts to shreds while looking down on me & other who declare the Bible does not teach tithing as stealing money from God. 

• Members

Ecclesiastes 8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?

Have you ever wondered why so many have been deceived into believing the monetary tithe requirement lie that is taught from so many pulpits today? Because “where the word of a king is, there is power.”

In many churches around the world, the people of the congregation have lifted their pastors up to the position of “king” in their eyes.

“What the pastor teaches is Gospel,” seems to be the general consensus of the population. “Nobody has the right to question his doctrines!”

But when those doctrines are contrary to the Written Word, those doctrines are to be rejected. The pastor that teaches contrary to what we have been given through inspiration of the Holy Ghost is to be marked and identified as a false prophet.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the Doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this Word, it is because there is no light in them.

The pastor has guidelines that he is to adhere to. One of those guidelines is to “preach the Word.”

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Paul did not tell the young Timothy to preach his own opinions and ideas. Rather, he instructed Timothy that he was to “Preach the Word.”

Many pastors, shirk their responsibility to “Feed the flock of God” that which God has given them to feed the flock with.

1 Peter 5:1-4 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

When it comes to lessons in stewardship responsibility, instead of feeding the flock the Word, pastors will bring “junk food” to the pulpit. Food that satisfies the flesh, but is bad for the soul. Food that was processed in the dark kitchen of a vain imagination. And because this “junk food” looks good (remember the forbidden fruit looked good to Eve also?) many will accept it, eat it, and pass it on to others.

Brethren, I encourage you, open your Bibles and read the truth concerning God’s Holy tithe and the tithes of the Old Testament. There are less than fifty verses that deal with tithes in the Word of God. Be as the Bereans of Acts 17; not just concerning tithes, but any message from the pulpit. When you hear a message from the pulpit, write down the Scripture references given in the message. Go home and look up those Scriptures. Search the Scriptures, whether those things are so.

Esteem your pastors, they are worthy of "double honour."  But do not view them as kings who can do no wrong.  When you do, you are guilty of idolatry.  Remember, in the Word of God every king in ancient Israel was guilty of doing things his way instead of Gods way at one time or another during his rule as king. And when they did things that were contrary to God’s design, God dealt with them harshly. Pastors who teach the monetary tithe are like those kings of old… they are doing things their way instead of God’s. And when a pastor does things his way, he teaches contrary to the Word.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

God expects us to obey Him rather than man. When man teaches that God requires a monetary tithe of the congregation, reject the message… it is junk food. God expects our giving to be from our heart. He does not want a monetary tithe. He has given us instruction to give where we see the need and when we have to give, and to do so willingly and cheerfully.

1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

• Members

When one is in error, and the pastor is teaching that error, I do not believe the best advice to give is to "go talk to your pastor."

Until that one can be shown why his or her pastor's doctrine is incorrect, it will do no good to "talk to the pastor" who is convinced that what he teaches is correct.

Instead, those who know the truth should attempt to guide the one, equipping that one with the Truth so that when that one does confront the pastor, that one will be well armed with the Truth.

Otherwise, that one is fighting a losing battle.  You cannot battle error with ignorance of Truth.

• Members

Our pastor is doing the whole month on tithing and stewardship. That's two sermons every Sunday. (Wed. night is for kids). Then we have a guest speaker so when he comes it'll be 5 sermons in 3 days on tithing and stewardship. He started last Sunday so we've already 4 sermons in 2 Sundays on it.

I love guest speakers but I really don't want to hear any more on tithing already.

I'm on a fixed income so I can't go above and beyond and promise to tithe more no matter how good the sermon. I know what I make every month. It'll actually be going down some in Feb. So I'll be tithing less.

I don't like being told that God is going to get his tithe one way or another. If my car breaks down, that's not God getting the money it's the mechanic.

It's as if I'm being told my blessings are stifled because I CANT give anymore than I do. It's not a lack of faith, it's a lack of money. I already try to tithe above 10%, some months I can and some months I can't.

I've heard many sermons/lessons on tithing which dealt with "giving"; however I cannot remember ever hearing one that dealt on "using" the tithes. Are we really good stewards of the Lord's money?

• Members

I had a good prayer with the Lord earlier about tithing. I will continue to tithe as I had been. I didn't plan on stopping tithing. My point was I don't have deep pockets or extra money. I  have Social security disability about $800 monthly for me and my daughter only for past year. And it's going to be reduced to below $800 in Feb when she turns 18. I will still continue to tithe.

My issue was every sermon on tithing for month straight with guest speaker continuing preaching on it too.

My pastor isn't money hungry or that's all he talks about. He's a great pastor. I will be continuing my own study in the Word on tithing. When I have questions he is good to answer them. There's not going to be any 'confronting' going on. 

• Members

lefton,

If I may ask, is your daughter planning on continuing her education?  College? 

If so, I believe the Law provides that you can continue drawing Social Security for her until the age of 22.  You may want to check into that and discuss your daughter's future plans concerning education.

• Members

lefton,

If I may ask, is your daughter planning on continuing her education?  College? 

If so, I believe the Law provides that you can continue drawing Social Security for her until the age of 22.  You may want to check into that and discuss your daughter's future plans concerning education.

yes she is going to college.

• Members

Maintaining the feeding of a child of 17 on $66 a month???!!! 

lefton,

As both myself and Bro K have stressed, it is important that we be faithful stewards over the money that God has given to us.

I encourage you to study out the Word on tithing. (as you said you would do)  If you were living anywhere between the giving of the Mosaic/Levitic Law, and 96 A.D., when the last book of the Bible was written, you would not have been required to tithe

Your pastor should not be requiring you to tithe today.  Rather, he should be providing for you.

Acts 20:33-35 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Nowhere in the Bible will you find instruction for the poor to tithe to either the Temple or to the Church. 

Archived