• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Entire Month Of Preaching On Tithing?

Miss Daisy

• Members

Our pastor is doing the whole month on tithing and stewardship. That's two sermons every Sunday. (Wed. night is for kids). Then we have a guest speaker so when he comes it'll be 5 sermons in 3 days on tithing and stewardship. He started last Sunday so we've already 4 sermons in 2 Sundays on it.

I love guest speakers but I really don't want to hear any more on tithing already.

I'm on a fixed income so I can't go above and beyond and promise to tithe more no matter how good the sermon. I know what I make every month. It'll actually be going down some in Feb. So I'll be tithing less.

I don't like being told that God is going to get his tithe one way or another. If my car breaks down, that's not God getting the money it's the mechanic.

It's as if I'm being told my blessings are stifled because I CANT give anymore than I do. It's not a lack of faith, it's a lack of money. I already try to tithe above 10%, some months I can and some months I can't.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So many pastors err on the teaching on Stewardship, I am not surprised.

Malachi 3 is the only place in the entire Word of God where one can find the blessings and curses associated with tithing.

Mechanical failure is not one of those curses. 

It is wrong for any pastor to bully their members into giving 10% of their hard earned money to the Church.  The Law has a word for that...extortion.

Here's a link to a Sermon Outline I did on Malachi 3:7-11 in the Sermons section here on OB...

>Proper Teaching From Malachi 3:7-11

Here's a link to an article a friend of mine did that does a contextual study of Malachi (where preachers get their bullying message from) and explains who Malachi was written to, why it was written, and what the curses were for those who disobeyed.

http://unchurchifiedchristians.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/the-tithe-a-contextual-study-of-the-book-of-malachi/

• Members

Someone has opened a can of worms...AGAIN!

I don't like being told my faults either, but I know it is needed.  Maybe you should look at it from a different perspective--some preachers (many, in fact) approach it wrong, but it still should not affect our giving.  If "delivery" were the focus, there are many Biblical concepts that we would reject.

Please don't put so much on the delivery, but look more to the message.  Just remember that cultures have changed, and we tithe income rather than crops, it is still a tithe in principle.

• Members

Our pastor is doing the whole month on tithing and stewardship. That's two sermons every Sunday. (Wed. night is for kids). Then we have a guest speaker so when he comes it'll be 5 sermons in 3 days on tithing and stewardship. He started last Sunday so we've already 4 sermons in 2 Sundays on it.

I love guest speakers but I really don't want to hear any more on tithing already.

I'm on a fixed income so I can't go above and beyond and promise to tithe more no matter how good the sermon. I know what I make every month. It'll actually be going down some in Feb. So I'll be tithing less.

I don't like being told that God is going to get his tithe one way or another. If my car breaks down, that's not God getting the money it's the mechanic.

It's as if I'm being told my blessings are stifled because I CANT give anymore than I do. It's not a lack of faith, it's a lack of money. I already try to tithe above 10%, some months I can and some months I can't.

It's a shame when a pastor gets fixated on money and thinks the only way he can get people to give is to try to bind them to OT Jewish law and use scare tactics that are unbiblical, yet there are many who do this. This is a common trait among "prosperity preachers".

If they would only preach and teach NT giving, lead everyone to the Lord in prayer on the matter, they would be fully funded and in accord with Scripture.

Guilt tripping and trying to bind believers to the OT law are both against the clear teachings in the NT.

Take the matter to the Lord in prayer and He will direct you as to what He wants you to give.

• Members

Giving/ Tithing/ Whatever you want to call it. I get it. I get the principle. God is not going to lead me to give what I don't have. FIXED INCOME. I understand he has to teach the whole Bible but does it have to jam packed every time we meet until we're tuning it out?

• Administrators

lefton, just pray that God will guide you as to what you are to give.  We also have a month of stewardship preaching.  But stewardship encompasses things besides money.  

One thing our former pastor (we have a new one, now) has consistently said through the years is that God will tell you how much to give - and that, at times, that would mean a decrease in amount.  But the thing to do is make sure you know exactly what God would have you do. 

And be careful...sometimes it's awful easy for us to allow bitterness to creep in unawares if we aren't happy with what's being preached...Look on it as God speaking to you about other ways of stewardship.  

• Members

Someone has opened a can of worms...AGAIN!

I don't like being told my faults either, but I know it is needed.  Maybe you should look at it from a different perspective--some preachers (many, in fact) approach it wrong, but it still should not affect our giving.  If "delivery" were the focus, there are many Biblical concepts that we would reject.

Please don't put so much on the delivery, but look more to the message.  Just remember that cultures have changed, and we tithe income rather than crops, it is still a tithe in principle.

It may be a can of worms to you but it's not to me. It's repetitive, same verses every message. He came back from a conference on missions last week and is all fired up on missions. We're still a very small church (20 adultsSunday am). We're still being supported ourselves.  

• Members

Even if your income is down, are you still giving the same percentage?  Then in God's eyes, you're still giving the same.

It's also a matter of faith, if you feel led to give more and step out on faith (knowing that your checkbook won't like it) God always provides and often in mysterious ways.

• Members

The only problem I see with allowing the Lord to lay it on your heart as to what, and how much to give is that we often claim that is what God leads us to do, because it's what we WANT to do, or because we feel we cannot afford to do it His way.  That is why percentage giving was given, so that all would make the same sacrifice regardless of income or availability.

Many preachers, who desperately desire to be preachers may not be God called, but they will say they are because it is so important to them, and they reason with themselves that "God must want me to, He told us to spread the Gospel message" (or something along those lines).  I am not sure that I ever heard anyone say "God told me not to give" or to preach, or whatever. I believe it's that way with many aspects of our Christian walk, including the tithe.

• Members

lefton,

As both John and I have pointed out, God doesn't expect us to operate under the guidelines of the Mosaic/Levitic Law.

We have been brought into a new Covenant with God.  The old is no more.

Hebrews 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

So many pastors and teachers today attempt to keep their congregations under the guidelines of the Mosaic/Levitic Law, when that is not God's plan for the Church at all.

God has given us His direction concerning our giving... and it is not a giving that is forced on us.  Notice:

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

2 Corinthians 8:12-13 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not. For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:

God wants us to choose for ourselves, the amount that we want to give.  The word "purposeth" in the above verse is translated from the Greek word, "proaireomai," and it simply means... to choose for oneself.  Now ask yourself, if you are giving 10% of your money because your pastor has told you that that that is what God wants, have you chosen for yourself? or have you let someone else choose for you?  When you give 10% for any other reason than because it is what you chose to give, you are giving under the wrong motives.  If you give because you don't want to be cursed, you give for the wrong reason.  If you give because Pastor Rex Torshunest told you God expects it, you give for the wrong reason.

The other verse I posted reveals that God does not want your giving to ease others and place you under a burden at home.  You make sure you take care of family needs first... then give what you feel you are able to give.  That is the giving that God expects of you.  Not a giving because of being bullied.  Not a giving that leaves you struggling.  Take care of family first.

1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

And who knows?  God may want your giving to go to that poor widow on your street who is struggling.  He may want your giving to go to an orphan at your local school.  Or to a foreigner who is barely making it.  Open your eyes to those around you.  They just may need that money before your Church does.

Matthew 25:34-40 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I do know the Church needs finances to operate, and if you want to give to meet those finances that is wonderful!  But be careful not to neglect those who are in need in your own community if you are able to do so.  Many times we give $5, $10, $20, even $50 to missionaries to other lands and turn our eyes and hearts away from those in need in our own neighborhoods. 

Maybe its time we should all begin to remember the old cliche, "Charity begins at home."

• Administrators

Actually, lefton, I think you need to go and speak to your pastor about your concerns.  You will get conflicting messages here, because not everyone believes the same way.  If you are going to continue as a member of that church, you should speak to your pastor about things.

• Members

Rather than just talk to your pastor, maybe you should confront him?

Print out all the passages in the Bible that deal with tithing.  Then, ask your pastor where in the Bible was the tithe amended to a tithe of money?  Where was it amended to be weekly? year in and year out without a break? when God said every seventh year there were no tithes of crops?

Ask him how is it you choosing what to give as instructed in the Word of God, when he is telling you you must give 10%?  Ask how an agricultural curse was amended to a mechanical curse? and where exactly can that be found in the Bible?

Archived