• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ray Comfort Ministries/evidence Bible?

woolysheep

• Members

I don't know alot about this ministry. I have watched some of their videos/dvds. Last week I am made aware of the Evidence Bible. I have some concern of this ministry and with the 'updated' KJV.

Is my concern warranted?  

:israel:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't speak to anything within recent years, but what I know of this prior to that, his stance on the Gospel is solid and his witnessing methods are biblically sound.

It's been years ago, but I read the Evidence Bible and the only thing I noticed was modernizing of some of the words, such as replacing thee with you, seemeth with seem, and that sort of thing. If there are any actual changes in the meaning within the text I'm not aware of it but I only went through that Bible once. I gave the Bible away so I don't have it to look into further.

Beyond that, Ray associates with and yokes with some people and groups that most Fundamentalists wouldn't, which would generally prevent the idea of full connection with him. That said, his material on witnessing, sharing the Gospel, is good.

• Members

The fact that he's getting out preaching and training others says something good. I generally avoid shorts and I don't know his position on the King James Bible ... but how many Independent Fundamental Baptists are out in the street preaching/ See, i think this is him:

• Members

Have any of you read this about this man?

The Damnable Heresy of Ray Comfort

Seems he believes you must stop sinning before you can be saved, seems much like self-righteousness, that seems to leave me out, perhaps some of you can do that.

Yet, instead of promoting men, should we not be busy promoting Jesus?

• Members

Seems he believes you must stop sinning before you can be saved, seems much like self-righteousness, that seems to leave me out, perhaps some of you can do that.

Yes this was my main concern. Works before Salvation.

I had read the link article though the writer tended to attack and rant so I didn't put too much weight in it. However my concern came from earlier when the IFB (IB here) church distanced itself from Ray Comfort Ministry.

In the days of the Apostate Church I often am :bang:  with so much tainted ministries.

Though I am so blessed for the ongoing truth of Gods Word as indeed we all.

• Members

Yes this was my main concern. Works before Salvation.

I had read the link article though the writer tended to attack and rant so I didn't put too much weight in it. However my concern came from earlier when the IFB (IB here) church distanced itself from Ray Comfort Ministry.

In the days of the Apostate Church I often am :bang:  with so much tainted ministries. I am so blessed for the ongoing truth of Gods Word as indeed we all are.

I've seen several of his evangelism videos which show him street preaching and witnessing, and in none of those did he ever express any idea of works before salvation. His approach was very simple and biblical. He would bring the lost person to the point of recognizing they are sinners, explain to them God is not just a God of love, but also of justice, that hell is the destination for all lost folks but through Christ there is salvation.

• Members

Have any of you read this about this man?

The Damnable Heresy of Ray Comfort

Yet, instead of promoting men, should we not be busy promoting Jesus?

Very true, Jerry.  Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron DO promote Lordship Salvation, which is heresy.  This damnable heresy is all over the internet.  Pentacostals are widley known for believing it.  When are we going to be perfect in this life?  When do we stop sinning?  I went round and round with people on the Internet about this very topic.  And, as the article said, John McCarther also promotes this false doctrine.

I posted this very same thing on OB years ago regarding "Way of the Master", and was shot down for saying it.  I am glad that you pointed it out with a Biblical article, Jerry.

Sadly, Ray and Kirk are out on the streets, tying to lead souls to Christ.  IFB's go door knocking, but rarely do I see IFB's doing any street preaching in this country.  It is a very sad state of affairs when other sects, not holding to the word of God, are out attempting to lead souls to Jesus.  We sit on his perfect word, and all we do is go door knocking?  This is not what the early church did.

• Members

Very true, Jerry.  Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron DO promote Lordship Salvation, which is heresy.  This damnable heresy is all over the internet.  Pentacostals are widley known for believing it.  When are we going to be perfect in this life?  When do we stop sinning?  I went round and round with people on the Internet about this very topic.  And, as the article said, John McCarther also promotes this false doctrine.

I posted this very same thing on OB years ago regarding "Way of the Master", and was shot down for saying it.  I am glad that you pointed it out with a Biblical article, Jerry.

Sadly, Ray and Kirk are out on the streets, tying to lead souls to Christ.  IFB's go door knocking, but rarely do I see IFB's doing any street preaching in this country.  It is a very sad state of affairs when other sects, not holding to the word of God, are out attempting to lead souls to Jesus.  We sit on his perfect word, and all we do is go door knocking?  This is not what the early church did.

John MacArthur wrote a book on this, which I picked up at a yard sale for a nickel or quarter, and in that book he rejects this form of "Lordship salvation" as being a false teaching. According to what he wrote in his book, "real" Lordship salvation is simply that if one is truly saved they have made Jesus the Lord of their life and this will be evidenced by them truly seeking to follow Jesus, to obey His Word. In other words, he says that if one is saved their life will evidence their salvation. This view takes a stand against those who promote the idea that one only has to repeat some "sinners prayer" and they are automatically saved or they just need to say "I believe in Jesus" and they are automatically saved and they can go on living just as they did before but they are saved.

I don't know much concerning the battle between the two competing concepts of "Lordship salvation", but the one which says one must get right with God before they can be saved is clearly unbiblical, while the one which says a truly saved person will show evidence of their salvation is biblical.

Back to Ray Comfort, I don't know what he does or doesn't believe in this area, but I do know in his past evangelism videos he never presented any idea at all of one needing to stop sinning before they can be saved. Comfort walks one through the Ten Commandments, making it clear that we are all sinners, then discusses God's justice, hell for lost sinners, salvation for those who are born again in Christ.

That said, if Ray has changed that approach in recent years, that's something I'm not aware of. Kirk Cameron has moved on to other things and hasn't been with Comforts ministry for some time now. The last time I saw any of Comforts evangelism videos was from back when Kirk was still there.

So, I can say his old evangelism videos gave sound biblical guidance for witnessing and street preaching, but I have no knowledge of any newer videos he may have made.

• Members

John MacArthur wrote a book on this, which I picked up at a yard sale for a nickel or quarter, and in that book he rejects this form of "Lordship salvation" as being a false teaching. According to what he wrote in his book, "real" Lordship salvation is simply that if one is truly saved they have made Jesus the Lord of their life and this will be evidenced by them truly seeking to follow Jesus, to obey His Word. In other words, he says that if one is saved their life will evidence their salvation. This view takes a stand against those who promote the idea that one only has to repeat some "sinners prayer" and they are automatically saved or they just need to say "I believe in Jesus" and they are automatically saved and they can go on living just as they did before but they are saved.

I don't know much concerning the battle between the two competing concepts of "Lordship salvation", but the one which says one must get right with God before they can be saved is clearly unbiblical, while the one which says a truly saved person will show evidence of their salvation is biblical.

Back to Ray Comfort, I don't know what he does or doesn't believe in this area, but I do know in his past evangelism videos he never presented any idea at all of one needing to stop sinning before they can be saved. Comfort walks one through the Ten Commandments, making it clear that we are all sinners, then discusses God's justice, hell for lost sinners, salvation for those who are born again in Christ.

That said, if Ray has changed that approach in recent years, that's something I'm not aware of. Kirk Cameron has moved on to other things and hasn't been with Comforts ministry for some time now. The last time I saw any of Comforts evangelism videos was from back when Kirk was still there.

So, I can say his old evangelism videos gave sound biblical guidance for witnessing and street preaching, but I have no knowledge of any newer videos he may have made.

I haven't read any of John McCarther's old books on Lordship Salvation, John.  What I do know is that he teaches it now.  Recently, I have seen many videos and read many articles by JM on this very topic.  He believes and tells people that they must be sinless before accepting Christ as Personal Saviour.  As I said, I went round and round with Pentacostals, on the Internet, about this very topic.  They believe that a person must be sinless before accepting Jesus into their hearts as Lord of Lord's and King of Kings.  "Sinless Perfection" is a very common concept, in this world.  How is this possible when we are going to be sinning for the rest of our lives?

I believe Ray Comfort is sincere in his desire to lead the lost to Christ.  However, I have seen and read articles, like the one Jerry posted above, where RC teaches Lordship Salvation.  I believe that RC is carrying some Judaism, from his past, as he presents the gospel.  That is just my opinion, though.  I wasn't aware that Kirk Cameron left the ministry of "Way of the Master."  That explains why I haven't seen him in recent videos.  Thanks for clarifying, John.     

Archived