• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Rock Music As Religion

RSS Robot

• Members

The following is excerpted from ROCK MUSIC VS. THE GOD OF THE BIBLE, which is currently out of print.

zz_rock_music_religion
It is not surprising that rock & roll has been adapted for contemporary worship since it has the power that contemporary worshipers are looking for. It has the power to create strong emotional experiences, the power literally to take control of the individual and carry him into spiritual realms.

Rock & rollers have long described their music in glowing spiritual and religious terms, but the spiritual fervor described in the following quotes does not pertain to the Spirit of God; it pertains to the “god of this world” who masquerades as an angel of light.

“And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light” (2 Cor. 11:14).

Rock & roll (which encompasses all forms of secular pop music that features a heavy back beat and other types of dance syncopation) is one of the chief gods and idols of the modern world. To think that God would be pleased with the Christianizing of rock & roll is to think that He would be pleased with the Christianizing of Hindu idols.

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols” (1 John 5:21).

Consider the following statements by rockers regarding the “spiritual” nature of their music:

Rock historian Michael Moynihan says: “In spiritual terms MUSIC IS A MAGICAL OPERATION, A VEHICLE FOR MAN TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE GODS. Depending on whom the celebrants invoke, this can mean soaring to heaven on the voices of angels or raising beasts from the pits of hell” (
Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground, p. 1).

“Rock concerts are the churches of today. Music puts them on a spiritual plane. All music is God” (
Craig Chaquico, Jefferson Airplane guitarist, Why Knock Rock?, p. 96).

“Rock music is more than music, IT’S LIKE CHURCH” (
Jimi Hendrix, The Dick Cavett Show, July 21, 1969).

“We’re making the music into ELECTRIC CHURCH MUSIC, A NEW KIND OF BIBLE you can carry in your hearts” (
Jimi Hendrix, quoted in Crosstown Traffic by Charles Murray, p. 161).

“... THE MUSIC IS A SPIRITUAL THING of its own” (
Jimi Hendrix, interview with Robin Richman “An Infinity of Jimis,” Life magazine, Oct. 3, 1969).

"I used to go to Sunday School BUT THE ONLY THING I BELIEVE IN NOW IS MUSIC" (
Jimi Hendrix, cited from Curtis Knight, Jimi).

Paul Stanley, guitarist for KISS, said he turns into “a holy roller preacher” during concerts. “I’m testifying and getting everybody riled up for the power of almighty rock ‘n’ roll” (Guitar Player, November 1974).

View the full article

• Members

The following is excerpted from ROCK MUSIC VS. THE GOD OF THE BIBLE, which is currently out of print.
zz_rock_music_religion.jpg
It is not surprising that rock & roll has been adapted for contemporary worship since it has the power that contemporary worshipers are looking for. It has the power to create strong emotional experiences, the power literally to take control of the individual and carry him into spiritual realms.

Rock & rollers have long described their music in glowing spiritual and religious terms, but the spiritual fervor described in the following quotes does not pertain to the Spirit of God; it pertains to the “god of this world” who masquerades as an angel of light.

“And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light” (2 Cor. 11:14).

Rock & roll (which encompasses all forms of secular pop music that features a heavy back beat and other types of dance syncopation) is one of the chief gods and idols of the modern world. To think that God would be pleased with the Christianizing of rock & roll is to think that He would be pleased with the Christianizing of Hindu idols.

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols” (1 John 5:21).

Consider the following statements by rockers regarding the “spiritual” nature of their music:

Rock historian Michael Moynihan says: “In spiritual terms MUSIC IS A MAGICAL OPERATION, A VEHICLE FOR MAN TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE GODS. Depending on whom the celebrants invoke, this can mean soaring to heaven on the voices of angels or raising beasts from the pits of hell” (
Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground, p. 1).

“Rock concerts are the churches of today. Music puts them on a spiritual plane. All music is God” (
Craig Chaquico, Jefferson Airplane guitarist, Why Knock Rock?, p. 96).

“Rock music is more than music, IT’S LIKE CHURCH” (
Jimi Hendrix, The Dick Cavett Show, July 21, 1969).

“We’re making the music into ELECTRIC CHURCH MUSIC, A NEW KIND OF BIBLE you can carry in your hearts” (
Jimi Hendrix, quoted in Crosstown Traffic by Charles Murray, p. 161).

“... THE MUSIC IS A SPIRITUAL THING of its own” (
Jimi Hendrix, interview with Robin Richman “An Infinity of Jimis,” Life magazine, Oct. 3, 1969).

"I used to go to Sunday School BUT THE ONLY THING I BELIEVE IN NOW IS MUSIC" (
Jimi Hendrix, cited from Curtis Knight, Jimi).

Paul Stanley, guitarist for KISS, said he turns into “a holy roller preacher” during concerts. “I’m testifying and getting everybody riled up for the power of almighty rock ‘n’ roll” (Guitar Player, November 1974).

View the full article

Really? Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, and KISS?

Way to keep up with current events. How about some Bay City Rollers quotes, while you're at it? Who's next? Foghat?

Seriously, why do you assume all rock musicians share this philosophy.

Cherry picking a couple of quotes (and quotes that we have no idea the context of, no less) from rock stars specifically for the purpose of painting rock and roll in a bad light seems a little disingenuous to me.

It always seems like a categorization fallacy to me, as you're confusing a person's Unbiblical worldview with the morality of a genre of music.

What about rock musicians who don't believe these things? What about rock musicians who don't do drugs, are devout family men, and some who are...*GASP!*...Christians?

If you don't like the genre of music, then be a man and critique the genre of music, rather than building a dishonest straw man against it.

• Members

A rock concert is an evil worship service...It's saturated with power and pride

They worship the music, the power, and self gratification: it certainly isn't worshipping God.

Funny, I just saw Jerry Jeff Walker not long ago and I saw none of that.

• Members

One church I know advertises their music as "changing the world one rock concert at a time." They truly believe they are honoring God. They just don't realize which god they are honoring...

That's a church service, though. In the context of a church service I would agree with you that rock music is not appropriate. But, even so, that rock music is inappropriate in a given context is not the same as saying that it, as a genre, is wrong.

• Administrators

That's a church service, though. In the context of a church service I would agree with you that rock music is not appropriate. But, even so, that rock music is inappropriate in a given context is not the same as saying that it, as a genre, is wrong.

No, it's not saying that it as a genre is wrong - it was an example of the way churches are kowtowing to the world to bring up attendance. But rock music is not God-honoring, so it doesn't belong in the life of the Christian. In or out of church.

• Members

No, it's not saying that it as a genre is wrong - it was an example of the way churches are kowtowing to the world to bring up attendance. But rock music is not God-honoring, so it doesn't belong in the life of the Christian. In or out of church.

In your opinion.

• Members

Funny, I just saw Jerry Jeff Walker not long ago and I saw none of that.

Well, not knowing who "Jerry Jeff Walker" is, I googled the name and this is the first one that came up....

Is this the same JJW you're referring to Auburn88? Warning, for Auburn88 only  

• Members

Yep. That's him. And my claim that I saw none of that still stands.

Incidentally, I think it's funny that, like the OP, you have to go back more than thirty years to find something to hang your hat on.

It was just him and his guitar, sitting on a stool and telling stories about his life, his heart attack, his wife, and his truck.

Yep. In my opinion, based on biblical principle and life experience (with much experience with rock music...and, BTW - it doesn't matter if it's Jimi Hendrix, Madonna, or The Killers...rock music is rock music).

OK. What "Biblical principle" is it that says it's wrong for me to listen to a song about sailing, or about a guy watching his daughter play on the floor, or about how much he loves his wife? Just curious, because those are the last three songs that have played on my ipod.

And, incidentally, your experience does not make something immoral or Unbiblical. It only means that you used it in an immoral or Unbiblical way.

• Administrators

OK. What "Biblical principle" is it that says it's wrong for me to listen to a song about sailing, or about a guy watching his daughter play on the floor, or about how much he loves his wife? Just curious, because those are the last three songs that have played on my ipod.

And, incidentally, your experience does not make something immoral or Unbiblical. It only means that you used it in an immoral or Unbiblical way.

Never said my experience made something immoral or unbiblical. But, like it or not, experience does teach people things. And you have no idea how I "used" it so stop making assumptive statements.  

We've been over the principles before and you've not accepted them then, so I'm not going to waste my time.  Do a search and find the other threads if you're interested.

If you want to believe rock music glorifies God, go for it.  I don't have to live in your house.  :biggrin:

• Members

Never said my experience made something immoral or unbiblical.

You said "based on my experience".  Leaving off the rest of what I said...very good.   But let's see here. I said "But, like it or not, experience does teach people things."

We've been over the principles before and you've not accepted them then, so I'm not going to waste my time.  Do a search and find the other threads if you're interested.

In other words, there are none.  No, there are no biblical principles about music.  And yes, I said just music, because knowing what the Bible teaches about music encases ALL kinds.  But, hey, live on believing there are none.  

If you want to believe rock music glorifies God, go for it.

I never said that it does or does not glorify God. What was it you were saying about making "assumptive statements" again? You're right - forgive me. I guess I assumed that all Christians want to obey the injunction that "whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." Silly me that I would think music - even secular - would fit in that.

I don't have to live in your house.

What makes you think we would have you? Yep - leave the smiley off because we don't want anyone to see that it was a lighthearted statement.  But you just can't take lighthearted when your icon is assailed, can you?

Archived