• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Call Me Doctor

OLD fashioned preacher

• Moderators

You Call Me Doctor

The title “Brother” once I wore,

But that can satisfy no more.

Since on my journey up to fame,

They added Reverend to my name.

Right Reverend, then twas Very Right,

Thrilling my soul with pure delight.

Now they call me Doctor, oh how I love it!

No other title is above it!!

Never was I thrilled like this before,

I got it at camp meeting and put it on my door.

They added Doctor to my name’

Now I know I will never be the same!

So call me Doctor, man alive

On my ego I must thrive,

At conventions and camp meetings I will shine;

Praise the Lord, the title’s all mine!

Once I was humble, now I’m so proud,

Walking erect with the Doctor crowd.

Surely the world hath need of me;

A man of the cloth with such a nice degree!

The Apostle Paul knew no such bliss’

For he never had a title equal to this!

I tell you brother, I’m not the same

Since they added Doctor to my name.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
On 10/22/2013 at 11:39 AM, Covenanter said:

I hope you're not attacking Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones - a doctor who gave up medical practice for the ministry?

No. In the US there is a trend amongst IB circles to over-emphasize a preacher's possession of a Doctorate degree.

I've even heard people get upset for referring to "Brother thus and such" instead of "Doctor thus and such" as if "Brother" makes a preacher second-rate.

• Members

The thread obviously applies to Evg. Dr. James Ach who in a number of threads invents what preterists, amils, covenant theologians, "calvinists", etc believe so he can "refute" them. He's a "doctor" who displays & refutes his own ignorance.

• Members

The thread obviously applies to Evg. Dr. James Ach who in a number of threads invents what preterists, amils, covenant theologians, "calvinists", etc believe so he can "refute" them. He's a "doctor" who displays & refutes his own ignorance.

Really?

Is that necessary?

• Members

Maybe it's wrong of me, but I usually make it a point to refer to those who have Dr. in front of their names as "Brother".  I have several Facebook friends who have Doctorates.  I have no idea if their Doctorates are earned or honorary.  They always refer to each other as "Dr. So-n-so"; however, none of them have ever rebuked me for referring to them simply as "Brother So-n-so". 

It really is amazing how many who receive these honorary Doctorates are quick to put "Dr." in front of their names...and expect to be called "Dr. So-n-so".  Just a source of pride...

By the way, I have nothing against a person getting an education...just don't let the education get you.

• Moderators

I am, albeit, slowly, working on my doctorate. I don't plan on making it a big deal, excelt at my secular job, where the supervisors call everyone by their last names, which I never did like, so if I attain it, when my boss says, "Hey, Reed!", I'll reply, "That's DOCTOR Reed, if you please!"

• Moderators

I am, albeit, slowly, working on my doctorate. I don't plan on making it a big deal, excelt at my secular job, where the supervisors call everyone by their last names, which I never did like, so if I attain it, when my boss says, "Hey, Reed!", I'll reply, "That's DOCTOR Reed, if you please!"

Didn't you say you work on an Army installation? That's military (and ex-mil) standard, to address by last name - there may be 8 Mikes, 12 Johns but only 2 Reeds and 1 Zwingli. That plus the fact that first name basis was only reserved for a those of intimate acquaintance (what used to known as "friend" before what one might call "easy friendism" ---- hey, did I just create a new word??).

• Moderators

Didn't you say you work on an Army installation? That's military (and ex-mil) standard, to address by last name - there may be 8 Mikes, 12 Johns but only 2 Reeds and 1 Zwingli. That plus the fact that first name basis was only reserved for a those of intimate acquaintance (what used to known as "friend" before what one might call "easy friendism" ---- hey, did I just create a new word??).

You're actually correct: about 40% of our workforce where I work are "Mike"s, including the big boss.

Archived