• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Many Times Must I Be Baptized?

ThePilgrim

• Members

I have been attending an IFB church now for over a month and today I just discovered a couple of their rules that disturb me.  

The first rule that bothers me (because it keeps me from taking part in the Lord's Supper) is that you must be a church member to take part in the Lord's Supper.

The second is that you must be baptized by this church to become a church member.  

I have been born again and baptized many years ago.

I have lived in (as far as I can remember) at least nine different cities in 5 different states in my lifetime.  If I had been baptized in each city I would have had to be baptized nine times.  Is this scriptural? 

Maybe someone here can give me some answers.

God bless,

Larry

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

As far as I understad we are baptized once, so far as it is a scriptural baptism. As for the Lord's super, this is called a 'closed' communion, a stand I disagree with. The other two seem to be a 'close' cmmunion, meaning only born-again believers can partake, and ope, meaning there is no limit-anyone can, even if they don't say they are believers. I disagree with the tow ends, but agree with the second, because our partaking is beteen "me and God", in remembering what the Lord did for ME, not 'me and the church and God', because I am a member of that church.

We once had a lady in our church who would abstain from the Lord's Super if she had any issues with another member-she felt she could not because of a problem in fellowship-I had to teach her its not about our fellowship with each other, but our fellowship with God.

• Members

The second is that you must be baptized by this church to become a church member.  

I have lived in (as far as I can remember) at least nine different cities in 5 different states in my lifetime.  If I had been baptized in each city I would have had to be baptized nine times.  Is this scriptural? 

God bless,

Larry

That's what you call Baptist Briderism. They believe that the Baptist church (theirs of course) is the body of Christ and that the baptism in Romans 6 is a baptism of water therefore to be part of the body of Christ (i.e. the church) you have to be baptized. Only then can you be part of the bride and attend the Lamb's supper. All other Christians including Luther, D.L. Moody, R.A. Torrey, J. Wilbur Chapman, Charles Finney,  William Booth,  Billy Sunday, Bob Jones Sr., Lorenzo Dow, Sam Jones, William Tyndale, John Huss, John Wycliffe, Polycarp, Irenaeus, etc. etc. will not be part of the bride but will wait on tables and mop floors during the Lamb's supper. This type of thinking is completely carnal.

• Members

I have been attending an IFB church now for over a month and today I just discovered a couple of their rules that disturb me.  

The first rule that bothers me (because it keeps me from taking part in the Lord's Supper) is that you must be a church member to take part in the Lord's Supper.

God bless,

Larry

I would want nothing to do with such a church. As has been pointed out, such in unscriptural.

• Members

I live in Hillsboro, Oregon.

Can anybody point me to an IFB in this area.

I don't like the idea of forgoing the Lord's Supper.  I also do not wish to be baptized again as just an initiation to become a member of a church.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

No one but church members partakes of the Lords Supper in our church, & I know of many others that are the same way.

Here is a good study on the subject.

Here while back that was a very good article partly on this in the Sword of The Lord. It was from a church planter on accepting members by letter. That we had to take care & make sure anyone we accept by church letter & or statement were baptized by a scriptural church. About 80% of the churches in this country teaches a work based salvation, these church have no authority from God to baptize a single soul.

• Members

I live in Hillsboro, Oregon.

Can anybody point me to an IFB in this area.

I don't like the idea of forgoing the Lord's Supper.  I also do not wish to be baptized again as just an initiation to become a member of a church.

God bless,

Larry

How far is Hillsboro, Oregon from Springfield, Oregon?

I have a good friend on Facebook who is the pastor of an IFB/KJV Church in Springfield.  His name is Michael Bell.  The name of his Church is  Cornerstone Baptist Church.  Here's the website of their church if you're interested in checking it out:

http://www.cornerstonebaptist-springfield.com/index.html

Edit:  I just found out that Hillsboro is a 2 hour drive from Springfield, but the pastor's wife recommended an IFB church in Ridgefield, WA:  God's Word Baptist Church.  Here is their website:

http://www.gwbc.us/

• Members

Where do these churches get authority from scripture to separate the wheat from the tares?

And do they also want you to be baptized into their church?

God bless,

Larry

They don't. Scripture says individuals are to examine themselves to determine if they should partake of the Lord's Supper or not. The responsibility for partaking of the Lord's Supper in a worthy manner is upon the individual; it's between him and God. Along with that individual responsibility comes the warning of how the Lord may punish those who partake of the Lord's Supper wrongfully.

No church, pastor or any other is set between us and God as judge of who is or isn't to partake of the Lord's Supper. The Lord has established Himself as the "watchman" over the Lord's Supper.

Churches/pastors are called to offer the Lord's Supper, make it clear the Lord's Supper is for believers only, reminding folks of the need to scripturally examine their hearts before they decide whether to partake or not, and reminding folks the Lord watches over this and holds anyone accountable who partakes wrongly. This should be followed by a time of reflection and prayer so everyone can examine their hearts and prepare themselves with the Lord.

• Members

The responsibility for partaking of the Lord's Supper in a worthy manner is upon the individual; it's between him and God. Along with that individual responsibility comes the warning of how the Lord may punish those who partake of the Lord's Supper wrongfully.

No church, pastor or any other is set between us and God as judge of who is or isn't to partake of the Lord's Supper. 

Not entirely correct.  The members should not allow an unrepentant adulterer partake in the Lord's Supper for example.  How would we know you ask?  She's sitting right next to him.  The last time this was brought up you rejected 1 Corinthians 5:9-13.  Then there's also Matthew 18:15-17 and other verses that deal with separation from members not following correct doctrine.  

• Members
Does this scripture apply to the issues at all?

Mat 13:24  Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 
Mat 13:25  But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 
Mat 13:26  But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 
Mat 13:27  So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 
Mat 13:28  He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 
Mat 13:29  But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 
Mat 13:30  Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn. 

1Co 11:23  For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 
1Co 11:24  And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 
1Co 11:25  After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 
1Co 11:26  For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. 
1Co 11:27  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 
1Co 11:28  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 
1Co 11:29  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 
1Co 11:30  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 
1Co 11:31  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 
1Co 11:32  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world. 
1Co 11:33  Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. 
1Co 11:34  And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come. 

God bless,
Larry

Archived