• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your Favorite Hymns?

Guest Guest

• Members

My favorite is Here I am and the most current one for my life is I need you every hour.

My kids like Battle hymn of the Republic.

I don't want to get into the whole battle some have with this, but if you ever wish to check the actual history of the Battle hymn you will discover it's not actually a Christian song. The author believed that man must create paradise on earth themselves. This song is about that and some of the references many Christians believe are referring to God, the author was actually referring to Lincoln!

Unfortunately, it's a catchy tune, hard to get our of ones head, and the propaganda built up around that song for over a century now has it placed as a high holy song among many American Christians.

If you can find a resource showing the authors notes on the song then this all becomes very clear.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying anything bad about you or you children for liking the song!

• Members

Yeah I know the history of the song but like you said the tune sticks in your brain. They hear it on their christian music for kids cd. I finally got them to listen and sing to something other then Father Abraham had many sons. So their favorite song changes on a weekly bases.

There are several songs that are promoted as christian but you can hear them on the local rock radio.

• Moderators

I have a host of favored songs, if I had to use only ONE for most every occasion it would probably be "Is Thy Heart Right With God?". Unfortunately, it is not in our primary hymnal (and missing from many these days)

Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

Postmillennialism?

I found this in my Fundamental Baptist CD-ROM Library from Way of Life about the Battle Hymn of the Republic:

HERESY AND “THE BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC.” Friday Church News Notes, August 5, 2005 (Fundamental Baptist Information Service, www.wayoflife.org fbns@wayoflife.org, 866-295-4143) - The popular song “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” is in many hymnbooks and is sung in Bible-believing churches, but few know what it is all about. The song was written by Julia Ward Howe in 1861 in a Union army camp and expressed her theological heresy and dispensational confusion. Howe, a Unitarian universalist, confused the coming of Christ with the armies of the North and the defeat of the South. She misidentified God’s altar with “the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps” and falsely claimed that His gospel was “writ in burnish`d rows of steel.” (This was how the original hymn read, though it has been modified in many modern hymnals.) Howe delivered a pantheistic, universalistic message at the 1893 Parliament of the World’s Religion entitled “What Is Religion?” (http://womenshistory.about.com/library/etext/bl_1893_pwr_howe.htm). Howe was related to the famous Beecher family. Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin (1852), is known as “the little woman who started the big war,” as her book incited anger against the slavery states and provoked violent-prone hotheads on both sides of the issue. Harriet’s brother Henry Ward Beecher was the liberal pastor of Plymouth Church in Brooklyn. He “once argued that a Sharps rifle held a better argument than a Bible for persuading slaveholders--hence these rifles were nicknamed ‘Beecher's Bibles’ when used to combat the spread of slavery in the Kansas Territory before the American Civil War” (http://www.embassy.org.nz/encycl/u1encyc.htm). During Beecher’s tenure at Plymouth Church, he opened his pulpit to Unitarians such as Ralph Waldo Emerson and Horace Greeley and even to agnostics such as Mark Twain.

• Members

Ha!

My wife made a music CD in which the Battle Hymn of the Republic is part of a medly with another one of her songs. I've always had a bent against BHOR, but she wrote that song before she met me. Now we have 500 music CDs in the garage with this heretical song in them! :ROFL:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I like all kinds of Christian genre...some of my favorites from the country/Gospel section are:
In the sweet, bye and bye
How beautiful Heaven must be
When we shall reach, that heavenly shore.
Oh Happy Day
Why Me Lord
Amazing Grace
How great thou Art
Softly and Tenderly
-------------------------------------
Ole Time:
Ole Time Religion
It is well, with my soul
Life's Railway
Just a closer walk
Down in the valley
The Lord's my Shepherd
Pie jesu from Requiem
The Prayer
just to name a few..................... :clapping:

• Members

I like all kinds of Christian genre...some of my favorites from the country/Gospel section are:
In the sweet, bye and bye
How beautiful Heaven must be
When we shall reach, that heavenly shore.
Oh Happy Day
Why Me Lord
Amazing Grace
How great thou Art
Softly and Tenderly
-------------------------------------
Ole Time:
Ole Time Religion
It is well, with my soul
Life's Railway
Just a closer walk
Down in the valley