• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Speaking In Tongues - What Does The Bible Say About Them?

I realize I haven't posted much here' date=' but I wanted to say that I think this has been a great thread thus far and I'm enjoying reading this discussion. :thumb[/quote']

Thanks, John. Yes---this has been a great thread on OB. Your support in VERY helpful!! :thumb

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb just wanted to say I agree with you on this. Who was the first person to start pushing the "spiritual gift test" in IFB circles anyway? I know there are a few "big" names that push it quite a bit but I do not feel it is very biblical. A prophet is one who is speaking for God directly, yet is speaking extra biblical things. That was needed before the scriptures were completed, but not now. No more prophets.

Right, Seth! We have the Holy Spirit living inside of believers, now. :thumb

The Gift of Service

Romans 12

Motivation ? Driving gift; wants to see all the needs in the fellowship met.

Bible Character ? Timothy, Paul?s son in the ministry.

1. A person with the gift of service will have an alertness to detect the practical needs and a desire to meet them. The person with the gift of service is very alert and sensitive to the people around them that are in need. They?re motivated to meet those needs and they get their greatest sense of satisfaction and fulfillment in seeing a need met by the investment of their own life. That?s why a person with the gift of service has a tremendous memory, being able to remember the likes and dislikes of the people they serve. For example; a secretary who has the gift of service will remember every like or dislike of her boss. A mother who has this gift will have the uncanny way of remembering all those things that each member of the family likes and dislikes. This person gives of himself to meet needs. Philippians 2:20 tells us what Paul has to say about Timothy.

Philippians 2:20 (KJV)

20 For I have no man like minded, who will naturally care for your state.

2. This person receives joy in serving others when it frees them to do more important things and not just to keep busy. There is something very important here. A person with the gift of service can become very grieved when they see the person whom they are serving squandering their time and wasting it on minor things. But the person with the gift of service is greatly delighted in giving of themselves to serve another person when they see the other person investing their life in a worth while project. But, when not true, he becomes grieved. This person has a real key to success, and one of the vital keys to success is this: if I am willing to invest my life in your life, in order to help you, then you in turn will help me by the overflow of your life. The gift of service will give of themselves and when they continuously give, you will be motivated to express gratitude to them in some way.

3. A tendency to disregard personal health and comfort in serving others. This person will often times forget about how they feel, what they want, their health and they will give of themselves. On and on they work. When everybody else has stopped working and everybody else wants to take a break, a person with this gift has one thing on their mind, and that?s to get the job done. They want to get the job done and so they are willing to forget how they feel and how others feel inn order to accomplish that

1 Timothy 5:23 (KJV)

23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach?s sake and thine often infirmities.

4. A need for appreciation to confirm that service is necessary and satisfactory. A person with this gift, you say is this person working for appreciation, recognition, advancement, or why are they working? This person?s need for appreciation to confirm the fact that what they have done was necessary and important. A person with this gift of service is willing to give of themselves and give of themselves, but they want to know that they have invested their time wisely, and that those whom they serve are pleased. Every employer would love to have a group of people with this gift of service, doing more than what is expected of them

1 Corinthians 16:10 (KJV)

10 Now if Timotheus come, see that he may be with you without fear: for he worketh the work of the Lord, as I also do.

1 Corinthians 16:11 (KJV)

11 Let no man therefore despise him: but conduct him forth in peace, that he may come unto me: for I look for him with the brethren.

5. A strong desire to be with others, this providing more serving opportunities. Now you will not find many people with this gift of service that are loners. They want to be around people and every where you find Timothy in the Bible (for example Acts Chapters 19-20) he is usually with somebody.

Acts 19:22 (KJV)

22 So he sent into Macedonia two of them that ministered unto him, Timotheus and Erastus; but he himself stayed in Asia for a season.

6. An enjoyment of short range projects and a tendency to become frustrated with long range projects. Why is this true? What is that which causes this person to find fulfillment? Seeing the job completed. You say to a person with this gift, I have a five year program, and forget it. You just give them a bite at a time and don?t tell them 5 years because they get frustrated. What motivates them is getting done today what needs to be done.

7. A tendency to feel inadequate and unqualified for spiritual leadership. I have seen this more than anybody. Some of the finest people in this fellowship refuse spiritual leadership positions because they feel inadequate. But now if something needs to be done they will do it. I know exactly who to call if I need some things done. Those same people, who are spirit filled believers, I have watched them, they are devoted to God and this fellowship, but more than likely they have a tendency to feel inadequate to do something like leading a Bible study. But sometimes they would probably be the best qualified even though they don?t feel like it. You may go up to a person with the gift of service and says; I want you to teach a three month Bible study on the book of Leviticus. They say ; Oh, no, the book of Leviticus! Now wait a minute, if you will teach it, we can have it at my house. I will provide refreshments, I will keep the yard mowed, park the cars, you just have to do the Bible Study. And sometimes, we will say hey they are not very spiritual, when that is not true at all. They have just been gifted with a helping spirit and this motivates them. SO if you put a person with the gift of service into something he does not want to do, he will be frustrated and often times quit. Then we will say he is not faithful, when that is not true, he is just not able to exercise his gift. That is why it is important that we know the gifts.

The Misunderstandings:

1. Their quickness in meeting needs may appear as being pushy. You find a person in a group who has the gift of service and a need comes up, if that person is not careful they will make their way to the front and says I will handle that don?t you all worry about it. Somebody might say boy isn?t she the pushiest thing you ever did see. They have to have the front seat. When that is not true at all, but here is a person motivated by service, he says ; if this is a project, I can do that just let me at it and so they sometimes are misunderstood as being pushy.

2. Avoidance of red tape may exclude others from the job. Here is the way the person with the gift of service things. Oh, that?s the thing that needs to be done just get of my way and I will do it. Don?t give me any red tape, just let me do it. It?s not that they want to exclude anybody they just don?t want any red tape. Haven?t you heard a mother say, you all just stay out of the kitchen and I will get the meal on the table?

3. Disregard for personal needs, worried about others. It is the person with the gift of service whose house I falling apart because he sees everybody else?s needs.

4. Eagerness in serving may prompt suspicion of self advancement. A person with this gift in business wants to serve and wants to get ahead, but sometimes somebody will look at them and say; hey all they are interested in is advancing their own cause. Their sense of fulfillment is not getting ahead of everybody else, but they see a project and the joy of competing it and then they are ready for the next project.

5. They may react to others who do not detect and meet obvious needs. For example; here is a group of people and the person with the gift of service, and the needs comes up. The response of the prophet is they shouldn?t have gotten themselves into that mess. Giving says, maybe we can take a collection to help them. The teacher wants all the details of the situation. But the gift of service says, what?s wrong with you all, can?t you see the need here. NO one wants to help ? they just want to talk about it. Why don?t? we just get up and do it. So they sometimes can be critical of other people. We misunderstand each other so easily. Don?t ever tell a person with a gift of service to get out of the way because then you will do it yourself.

6. Insistence on serving may appear to be rejection of being served. Now this can happen real easy to this person. It is difficult to do something for this person because he is always about two steps ahead of you. By the time you get ready they have it done. They just want to serve you , they don?t feel it is important to be served. If they do get served they get antsy. They come over your house and they want to do the dishes, etc.

7. A desire to sense sincere appreciation may result in being hurt. There is one thing about this person, you let them serve you, pour their life out to you and you don?t compliment them, you don?t even say job well done. You don?t encourage them, you don?t even say you did a super job, and here?s what happens after a while they draw back into their shell. Why? They don?t know weather they are pleasing you or not and that is part of their motivation. They just want to serve you.

8. Quickness in meeting needs may interfere with spiritual lessons. Let?s say here is a person who is in need and here is God, and the reason that person is in need, is that God has gotten their attention. Their disobedient living in the flesh. So God has got the umbrella of chastisement over them in their finances. You may say; my goodness look there is a need, you want to give them money to meet their need. If you give to them before God is finished you?re going to get the pressure because you come between them and God. Make sure you get a green light from God before you try to meet the need.

9. Meeting physical needs may be a lack of interest in spiritual matters. A person who is more prone to meeting needs may be misunderstood as not being a spiritual person. Be careful on judging. They are doing something spiritual. Do not let any body belittle you in this.

10. Stamina may be interpreted as insensitivity to those helping. The person with the gift of service doesn?t want to stop, everybody else laying around tired, the person with the gift of service is a dynamo ? come on let?s get it done. Now!

11. Inability to avoid others needs may result in sidetracking ? employers directions. For example; let?s say you have a responsibility in an assembly line and you have so many projects to fulfill in a certain time, and you see a fellow worker hurt, so you go help him and forget the line. I want to help. So he can be easily side tracked if he sees other important needs.

In the Spirit

1) Alert - Open to needs

2) Hospitable

3) Generous

4) Joyful-Happy

5) Flexibility - Handle change

6) Endurance

Out of Spirit

1) Unconcerned - Careless

2) Lonely - Isolated

3) Stingy - No help

4) Self-pity - Pity Party

5) Resistant - Want my way

6) I quit - Forget it

• Members

[quote="kevinmiller"]The gift of prophecy meant prophecy, not a strong personality. lol
I think that "gift" could be better described as someone with a dominant choleric personality. I think those kinds of tests change our perception of what the Bible is actually saying. Instead of looking at the gift of prophecy for what it was(telling the future), we would rather interpret it through a man-made personality test with no Biblical basis whatsoever.[/quote]

????????? it means discourse emanating from divine inspiration and declaring the purposes of God. The Old Testament prophets main function was to be a spokesman for God and speak forth the message of God even though sometimes they did foretell future events.
The gift of prophesy in the New Testament, is mainly to speak forth God's truth even though in the first Century, even though it had some predictive elements. ?

• 2 weeks later...

The Gift of Teaching

Romans 12:6

Intended repetition is what drives you---your motivational gift.

Luke, of all the Bible characters, is a beautiful example of a person with the gift of teaching. Please read to the first 4 verses:

Luke 1:1-4

1:1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,

2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

KJV

We could go through the book and also see this gift in him, but the first 4 verses have quite a bit, (more than enough to indicate his motivational gift of teaching).

As we look at these characteristics, we see that the person with the gift of teaching was to turn the light on so that you can see the truth.

The Strengths:

1. He (she) has the desire to present truth in a systematic sequence. Some people can learn a lot of things and they just begin to run off at the mouth. Every time a rabbit runs this way they chase it. So when they finish, you have heard a lot of facts, but you may not have learned much. Look at verse 3: ?It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus.? A person with the gift of teaching presents truth in a systematic sequence. For example:

A. They get a subject.

B. They draw a theme out of that subject.

C. They decide which direction to go.

2. An emphasis on the importance and accuracy of words. You see a person with this gift is going to delve into shades of meaning. They?re not interested in just reading. Look at verse 3 for example; ?It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding.? He will say, what does that word perfect mean? This person is interested in particular words. What did you really mean by that word? Sometimes that can almost become irritating because they become so accurate to be sure of every word they are hearing, and that they understand exactly every detail you are saying. They are accurate and they want to make sure what they hear is accurate. They are stickler for every word, detail and shades of meaning. Mercy would say, don?t bother me with all those details---here is the problem. But the teacher would require every last detail and description to the best of your knowledge.

3. A delight in researching and reporting as many facts on a subject as possible. When you read the Gospel of Luke, you will notice more details, for example, when he describes something. You can see a little edge that Luke has over the other Gospels in presenting little details and accounts- whether it is somebody being healed, a prodigal son, or whatever. A person who has this gift is delighted in researching and reporting each detail on a subject. They enjoy spending a great deal of time researching and validating facts so that, when they acquire all this, they can share with you layer after layer of study----not just the surface details. Sometimes we may not want all of that.

4. An alertness to factual details which are not noticed or mentioned usually by others. A person with this gift has a God-given, genuine interest in getting details. There are some professions, for example; like the legal or medical profession, in which you can?t just go along and get general ideas. You have to be detailed and factual in every area. If you?re presenting a document every word is important, how they can be inferred and so each detail becomes very important. They have an alertness to factual and minute details. Sometimes, when the gifted teachers teach, we will say; ?I didn?t see that in there, I must have missed that,? because we are not as prone to stop and research word meanings as the gift of teaching would.

5. A tendency to test the knowledge of those who teach them. Here is what this person will do. The person with the gift of teaching will say; ?Tell me what you think about that subject? How did you come to that conclusion? Where did you get your information? Are you sure that is validated? Are those statistics really accurate?? You see it?s not that they are nosy or hard to get along with, they just have a genuine interest. That?s the way God made them. It is important that God places within our fellowship people with this gift because they are the ones who keep our theology clean and pure. Example: I would say in any church you check out what the preacher says. You make sure he is on track theologically. A person with the gift of teaching is so geared to accuracy and thoroughness and he wants the truth taught. Now there are so many people in churches today who teach false doctrines that we need these teachers to research and make sure truth is taught. They will test the knowledge of those who teach them. Here is what happens. Sometimes that person will ask questions to find out what kind of credentials this person has. That is what gives you the right to speak with authority on this subject. So they may come across wrong, but their motives are pure. They just want truth related.

6. A greater joy in researching truth than presenting it. For example, the gifts of prophecy, teaching, and exhortation may all 3 study the same subject, but the gift of prophecy?s motivation is getting the message across so your life is changed and you obey God. The person with the gift of exhortation?s motivation is to be sure that you are presented with the step by step information to help you grow and mature in your Christian life. What is it then that motivates the person with the gift of teaching? Not a changed life. On the other hand, they are people who are gifted with the gift of teaching who are likewise tremendous communicators and motivators of people to study. But what is it that motivates him? Digging into truth and finding it. We need to keep asking what is the motivation?

7. A tendency to avoid illustrations from non-biblical sources. Now when a person is given to studying the scriptures, and that person is committed to studying the Word of God, sometimes you will find a person with this gift who does not want to be bothered with any outside illustrations. Don?t give me any tear jerking stories about your mother----let?s just stick to the Word of God. If I am going to have an illustration, I will illustrate it out of the Bible. Therefore, their tendency is to be a little narrow in that area.

8. A tendency to remain silent until information has been heard, observed, and discussed. Now what I mean is this, the teacher is not the impulsive one in the class. He will listen, think it through, observe, calculate, do some comparison and then they will raise their hand and make a statement. Peter, the one with the gift of prophecy, butts in on a conversation, but the person with the gift of teaching will not do that. They want to get the facts and mull them over in their mind before they speak. Sometimes they will seem to be authorities on a matter.

9. A tendency to validate new truth by established systems of truth. Now this is what Luke was talking about, look at chapter 1, verse 2; ?Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word.? What Luke is saying is he has heard many things and he is getting at the truth. Verse 3; ?It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus.?(4) ?That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.? Now a person with the gift of teaching here is going to compare, validating new truth with established systems and speak in our fellowship, and maybe you hear something you haven?t heard before. When the person with the gift of teaching hears that; he doesn?t say; ?I am not interested in hearing that,? he says, ?Alright.? Having heard this viewpoint, he begins to compare with what he knows to be true. Remember, they have a lot of scripture knowledge, and everything that comes through this computer has to be sifted. Sifting this through the knowledge of the Word of God is something all of us really need to do. For example: you know what the Bible says about the new birth experience and all of a sudden somebody comes along and says that to be born again you have to be baptized. You need to sift that through your mind which has the knowledge of what is right and you can detect error. So the teacher always does what we should be doing, when we hear something. The teachers help us to keep our theology correct. Sunday School teachers are not made up of persons with the gift of teaching. Other gifts make better teachers. Expound!

The Misunderstandings:

1. The emphasis on accuracy of scriptural information may appear to neglect a practical application. Example: Let?s say here is a fellow with the gift of teaching and he has gone to school. Let?s say it was a Bible school. So that is his gift. Let me show you the difference in how a speaker would conduct a service who has the gift of teaching, if not trained otherwise. He would expound on the message----get the truth?say all that he has to say and sit down. A person with the gift of prophecy, on the other hand, would preach the truth and then say; ?Alright, let?s apply it to your life---come to the altar and get right with God. But now I want you to remember what motivates these people. One is motivated different than the other. They both may be preaching the same sermon, but their drive is different. One is driven to convey what he has learned, while the other is driven to convey what God has placed upon his heart in order that you may respond to God. Example: The S.S. teacher who stands up and gives a lesson out of the O.T. on the life of Joseph. The life of Joseph was an exciting life, but let?s say we take the passage where Joseph was betrayed by his brothers. If you just give information and let it die there you have missed one of the great truths out of the Word of God that could change someone?s life. So if you are one who has the gift of teaching you?re like a mother baking a cake and leaving all the icing off. Now I don?t know about you, but if we?re going to have a cake let?s get some icing on it. Amen? Amen. Don?t leave the icing off. The teacher must not neglect application of scripture.

2. The use of knowledge in relating to others may appear to be pride of learning. For example: if a person is not careful after studying, searching, delving into, and someone comes and says, ?Can you tell me about this?? They will say, ?Oh, why sure I would be happy to tell you. I know all about it.? Sometimes old pride will come in. You know what the Bible says- pride of learning that is knowledge puffeth up. Remember all true teachers, be careful you don?t leave the impression you know a lot. Jesus was the greatest of teachers, but He taught out of humility.

1 Cor 8:1-3

8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

2 And if any man think that he knoweth anything, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

KJV

3. He may appear critical when he spots little factual errors in the teaching of others. The gift of teaching may listen to 39 minutes and 55 seconds of absolute truth and let?s say that in 5 seconds of that message, the speaker says something that is not exactly right. This gifted teacher is prone to say; ?I?ll chalk it all off.? The whole message was in error because this person is so oriented to facts and details. They will lay aside other truth learned for just a little error. He must be careful not to be critical if someone is not as informed on the facts as someone else.

4. The concern to impart details of research may appear to be boring and unnecessary to others. The person with the gift of teaching who has been studying all week long, or 2 or 3 weeks, on a given program, an they have all the statistics. They will want to present it all to you. Do you think they want to give you the surface or an outline? No way! They want you to hear all the facts and sometimes it will be boring. If you don?t want to hear it, they will say you don?t appreciate their research. It?s not that we just don?t want all the details. Listen, if I took the book of Revelation and spent time on each verse we could be on it until I retire. But the teacher wants the details.

5. The emphasis on research may appear to be a greater dependence on the research of others than the Holy Spirit. The person with the gift of teaching majors on the fact that their resources are accurate. You may say, well, did you pray about it? Did you rely on the Holy Spirit? This person may come across as saying; so and so said this or that, but he does rely on the Holy Spirit. In some cases he can rely on scholarly work more than the Holy Spirit.

6. The emphasis on research may appear as though they despise the practical wisdom of the uneducated teacher. Even though a person has a PHD and looks like a brilliant man in the eyes of the world; possibly in the eyes of God he may look foolish. A degree behind a name does not guarantee wisdom, wise decision making, or skill in communication. In fact, it only guarantees that this person has spent much time studying. They can be liberal in their theology---doubt the virgin birth and the blood of Jesus. This person can have 5 degrees behind their name, but if they don?t believe these things they are stupid spiritually. Therefore, it?s not always degrees which make or produce excellence but, the teacher will look for such degrees. Some of the wisest people in this world have not necessarily been to school. You don?t need a degree to speak with authority. I would rather be with someone who learned how to pray by being on their knees, than to be with someone who just studied all about prayer. The simple truth of God is more important than scholarly knowledge. Never look down on anyone who you feel doesn?t necessarily have enough education.

Spirit-filled:

Self-control

Reverence ?respect for knowledge and Word of God

Diligence ? not lazy

Thoroughness ?deals with every question

Dependability

Security

Patience-spending time on details

Carnal:

Self-indulgent

Disrespect for sacred things

Slothful-lazy