• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Divorced Man Become A Deacon, Pastor Or A Preacher?

The Glory Land

• Members

Or she beated him? what's the difference?

Reminds me of an IFB pastor who for many years (30-40) held the view that physical abuse was not grounds for divorce; changed his mind when his daughter was severely physically abused by her husband.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One wife at a time? Seems multiple wives and no dowry concubines was fairly common in the day

One wife since born again? Good question, since not a pastor/deacon in history meets any of the other qualifications PRIOR to their salvation (it would be impossible)

not a person here knows for sure so all this is speculation

Its quite easy, just go by the Holy Scriptures we are given to go by, them you cannot go wrong.

Oh, its not speculation!

• Members

Can A Divorced Man Become A Deacon, Pastor Or A Preacher?

YES. Pastors and Deacons are elected by the people; therefore, it all based on what the people believe.

Maybe a better way of stating the OP would be: Is a divorced man qualified to be a Deacon, Pastor or a Preacher?

Furthermore; does the qualifications listed for a Deacon and Pastor apply to a Preacher?

• Members

So according to your logic, you are not qualified to be a pastor then? Or do you claim viligance and sobriety and good behavior since birth?

Well, I hate to say this, yet it seems you do not care for the Bible way.

Its not about my logic, its about God's way.

• Members

Does the scripture teach one wife, period; or does it teach one wife currently?  I think the above quoted verse could be taken either way without error.

That's a point of difference between many churches and something each local church must determine.

Do the qualifications apply from point of salvation onward? Do they apply to ones life prior to salvation?

Does "one wife" mean one at a time? Does this mean no unmarried men? Does this mean if a man's wife dies he  is no longer qualified or he must remarry? If a widower remarries is he still the husband of one wife or to be considered unqualified because he's now married to his second wife?

These are some of the questions which come up and different churches hold to different viewpoints on these matters. Often as not, their viewpoints are reached based more upon something other than Scripture, but some attempt to tie their viewpoint to Scripture, some better than others.

• Members

Just my 2 cents worth, When God calls a man to be a pastor, God knows if that man has been, is, or will be divorced. Why would He call a man to be a pastor, just to disqualify him. This verse is only used (by people) to disqualify a divorced man, it is not used to disqualify an unmarried man, or a man who does not have children, or who does not have control over his children. As I said, just my 2 cents worth.

• Members

Interesting observation, Quinkie!

Why no qualms about hiring a young pastor who has no children?  Paul s exhortation and instruction states that the pastor must have his children in subjection.  Which means... he cannot be a pastor who has no children, or whose children are unruly and he not able to control them through proper discipline.

Why no qualms about hiring a pastor who has never been married?

• Members

Interesting observation, Quinkie!

Why no qualms about hiring a young pastor who has no children? Paul s exhortation and instruction states that the pastor must have his children in subjection. Which means... he cannot be a pastor who has no children, or whose children are unruly and he not able to control them through proper discipline.

Why no qualms about hiring a pastor who has never been married?

Like the Pope?

• Administrators

Poor people! Rich people get divorce too, as well as middle classed people, & all of them do it for all kind of reasons. And the main reason is neither one of them are willing to honor their vow to God.

Jerry, she wasn't talking about a person's economic status when she said poor people - she meant it more in the sense of sympathizing with them, you know how sometimes we might say, "that poor kid, he's so sad."  Something like that. I know she would heartily agree that anyone in any economic situation can get divorced.  Just clarifying.

• Members

It (election) is based on what the people believe; because what they believe, is usually what they have been taught from the Bible. Therein we might find the problem why some people would  vote for a divorced man; they have not been taught in detail what each qualification means. The first qualification listed is "blameless"; how many members look at 'blameless' and sees the same thing? "Not a novice" is another qualification which probably would bring out various beliefs from among members.

The World and TGL wants to know?

. :eye:  :eye:

Please reply with Love... :popcorn:

A divorced man cannot be a pastor or a deacon. A divorced-saved man can and should be a preacher.

• Members

Jerry, she wasn't talking about a person's economic status when she said poor people - she meant it more in the sense of sympathizing with them, you know how sometimes we might say, "that poor kid, he's so sad."  Something like that. I know she would heartily agree that anyone in any economic situation can get divorced.  Just clarifying.

Or like, that person TGL he is such a nice guy.     :bump3:  

Archived