• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Electronic Bible

irishman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While there are exceptions, such as the brother here who has trouble seeing, and while there are people who learn differently, I think for the vast majority of folks, hearing, seeing, and doing - especially with the tactile feel of holding the Bible in your hand and the pen to write with it - impresses on the brain what was heard, seen,and done indelibly.

When I was a boy, I loved to read through my dad's copies of the JC Whitney catalogue. I scoured over every page, looked at it intently, felt it with my hands. In short order, I could pcik it up, and, almost without looking, open it to the exact spot I wanted to - it had become that familiar to me.Later, I did the same thing with our World Book Encylopedia - I could find almost anything I wanted to that was in it, almost without thinking.

What I am saying is - we often rely on technology to do things for us, often to our detriment. Take spell checkers, as an example - I don't and won't use one. I learned to type with two fingers on a Royal manual typewriter. I don't make many mistakes when I type (ever try to erase type with a tyewriter eraser? You learn to spell fast!) As soon as I make a mistake on the computer, which I rarely do, I instinctively know it because my fingers have been programmed to type the words correctly - it's usually my brain that messes them up. :-) Seriously, though, there's something that I believe God put in us that connects our body, mind, and spirit, and, the more we can invovle all three, the more we retain when learning.

Thus, I think it's important to learn to take notes - anyone can do it. Even those, like me, who aren't good at it (I wasn't until I made myself learn to do so). Again, there's something about having that tactile connection to the page and the pen, coupled with the eyes and ears and mind, all pulled together by the Spirit that helps us to retain what we learn from the Word of God.

There's a disconnect between our mind and our spirit when the vehicle is an electronic screen - many studies have shown that people who grow up or spend lots of time in their formative years interacting mostly with a screen, albeit a computer, a phone, etc., have trouble interacting and relating to real, flesh and blood humans. I think the barrier is also their in our spiritual side, too.

Bottom line - if you can listen, hold the Bible in your hand so that you become familiar with it, even the feel of it, the weight of it, and take down notes as you learn, you will be able to retain more than you probably otherwise could, certainly more than if you used an electronic version of the Bible.

• Members

I've been taking notes in church for years while following along in the Bible with the Pastor preaching. I like to highlight in my Bible and make little notes in Bible. I got my KJV Bible at Dollar General for $10 and it's large print thank goodness! Not a very good concordance though and no maps.

• Members

I have done a lot of note taking in church through the years.  I have a lot of notebooks filled with sermons from my IFB church.  I also have a plethora of books, as well.  I also highlight things in my Bible.  My favorite Bible is the one my in laws gave me from the Dollar Store, before I was saved.  However, it is falling apart.

My husband has an IPod.  My son gave him his used one, when my son bought an IPhone.

I have an Iphone but prefer to use my laptop, instead.  I do use my Iphone while in public, though, waiting for an appointment.  It kills time.

I do want to get a Kindle in the future.  My pastor's wife has one, and you can enlarge the print.  I can't seem to find a Bible with very large print.  Like, SFIC, I like the light that goes with the computer device, as my vision is not as it used to be.  Still I prefer an actual Bible so that I can look up verses the old fashioned way.  It helps me with retaining what I have read.  Note taking also helps me learn, as well.

• Members

I'm a little sad that the old leather Bibles are being pushed aside....I love books....but I admit technology is just so much more convenient.

i bring my regular Bible to Sunday morning so when I teach my Sunday School class, the kids can visualize that I am teaching out of Gods Word.   But I have just recently begun to bring my iPad to evening services, though I have owned my iPad for a year now.   I just got a beautiful leather cover for it, maybe that's partly why.  :-)

• Members

I'm a little sad that the old leather Bibles are being pushed aside....I love books....but I admit technology is just so much more convenient.

i bring my regular Bible to Sunday morning so when I teach my Sunday School class, the kids can visualize that I am teaching out of Gods Word.   But I have just recently begun to bring my iPad to evening services, though I have owned my iPad for a year now.   I just got a beautiful leather cover for it, maybe that's partly why.  :-)

"technology is just so much more convenient." How about this for convenient: Let just do away with the local church buildings and have the preaching delivered by the internet.

Crazy. Never happen! I wouldn't bet my life on it. Even now there are things going on in our IFB churches which our forefathers would have said 'it would never happen'.

• Members

There are already groups calling themselves churches that meet in buildings with NO pastor and NO preacher - just singers. When the pseudo-worship is over, they watch giant screens from whence cometh a giant head preaching gobbledy-gook from some other location.

They call it LifeTV.

I'd call it "LaughTV" if souls weren't involved....

• Members

I met a guy who started a church in some virtual world on line.
Had deacons, members, a treasurer, built a building on line - the whole box and dice......

When he finally met a few of the people in real life, his head deacon - a nice guy in that virtual world - turned out to be a young lady......

• Members

Satellite churches were a growing trend for awhile, I don't know if they still are or not, but there seem to be many around. A pastor will gain a strong following and then he will send out a team to start a satellite church in another town. They gather in the building, go through some of the typical church activities and then sit and watch whoever that pastor is as he is broadcast live preaching at his church. A popular pastor in a church about a hundred miles from here set up about a half dozen satellite churches around the area like that.

There used to be a "Baptist church online" or something like that several years ago. I don't know if they are still around or not. They used to send me emails back then but they stopped coming.

• Members

Todd...I had one of those Bibles that fell open wherever you tell it to.....and a couple of years ago it was in a suitcase that was permanently lost at the airport.  :-/     Since that time I have gotten two new Bibles and neither of them has been the same.... Sigh.   

• Members

"technology is just so much more convenient." How about this for convenient: Let just do away with the local church buildings and have the preaching delivered by the internet.

Crazy. Never happen! I wouldn't bet my life on it. Even now there are things going on in our IFB churches which our forefathers would have said 'it would never happen'.

I knew "convenient" was going to be a bad choice of words.  Haha.

I did know a Ruckmanite guy who had an internet church.    He was truly messed up though.   Well he had a regular church but since he felt no other church was as right as his, he also had a live streaming internet church congregation.

• Members

Kitagrl - there is, indeed, something about handling the Word of God, phsyically, that cannot be duplicated electronically, anymore than an electronic organ can duplicate the sound of a real pipe organ: it can reproduce the SOUNDS of one, but not the movement of air that the real thing creates. It may be "close", but it's not identical...

Archived