• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Electronic Bible

irishman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Well long time ago I had to remember the books of the bible. I was a kid and by learning the books I got better at bible drills. Couple time I read my bible at home on a Sunday and leave my glasses on the table where I was reading it and didn't remember to put it back in my bible case. So I go to church with my bible and can't see what I was reading. So lately I have been reading bible on Kindle. I don't need glasses with a kindle. So glasses stay in my bible and are there for church.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Study after study has been done over the years regarding how much a person retains out of that which they seee, hear, and do.

For years and years, the numbers were as follows:

* We retain 20% of what we HEAR,

* We retain 40% of what we SEE and HEAR (at the same time), and

* We retain 80% of what we SEE, HEAR, and DO (again - at the same time).

The most recent study I found online today shows higher percentages:

* We retain 50% of what we SEE and HEAR (at the same time), and

* We retain 90% of what we SEE, HEAR, and DO (again - at the same time).

No matter what study you look at, the evidence is clear: Hearing, Seeing, and Doing - all at the same time - dramatically increases our retention of the matter at hand.

Now -

How does this fit into this topic?

Simple -

* If I am sitting in church, and and the Pastor is teaching the Bible, and all I do is listen, I will only remember about 20% of what he said.

* If I am sitting in church, and and the Pastor is teaching the Bible, and all I listen and read along as he does so, I willdo better, but will still only remember about 40% of what he said.

HOWEVER -

* If I am sitting in church, and and the Pastor is teaching the Bible, and I listen, follow along in my bible, AND TAKE NOTES, I will remember a stunning 80-90% of what he said!

THEREFORE -

Since it's tough to take notes - and I'm talking GOOD, thorough notes - on an I-pad or a tablet, or a laptop, etc., using a HARD COPY of the Bible, to me, is MUCH PREFERRED over an electronic version! Even if I write down things in notebooks, it's not the same - having my notes RIGHT THERE in the Bible passage brings to my mind what I have learned, far better than any other method I may wish to emply.

• Members

Study after study has been done over the years regarding how much a person retains out of that which they seee, hear, and do.

For years and years, the numbers were as follows:

* We retain 40% of what we SEE and HEAR (at the same time), and

* We retain 80% of what we SEE, HEAR, and DO (again - at the same time).

The most recent study I found online today shows higher percentages:

* We retain 50% of what we SEE and HEAR (at the same time), and

* We retain 90% of what we SEE, HEAR, and DO (again - at the same time).

No matter what study you look at, the evidence is clear: Hearing, Seeing, and Doing - all at the same time - dramatically increases our retention of the matter at hand.

Now -

How does this fit into this topic?

Simple -

* If I am sitting in church, and and the Pastor is teaching the Bible, and all I do is listen, I will only remember about 20% of what he said.

* If I am sitting in church, and and the Pastor is teaching the Bible, and all I listen and read along as he does so, I willdo better, but will still only remember about 40% of what he said.

HOWEVER -

* If I am sitting in church, and and the Pastor is teaching the Bible, and I listen, follow along in my bible, AND TAKE NOTES, I will remember a stunning 80-90% of what he said!

THEREFORE -

Since it's tough to take notes - and I'm talking GOOD, thorough notes - on an I-pad or a tablet, or a laptop, etc., using a HARD COPY of the Bible, to me, is MUCH PREFERRED over an electronic version! Even if I write down things in notebooks, it's not the same - having my notes RIGHT THERE in the Bible passage brings to my mind what I have learned, far better than any other method I may wish to emply.

We had a professor at university which conducted his courses according to such. Reading, hearing and writing the material for the sake of better comprehension and remembering.

However, we must realize that not everyone fits into the mold on this. Some folks learn more from reading, or listening or from putting something into practice (whether writing it down or doing something else).

Myself, I can't take notes and listen to a lecture or preaching or teaching at the same time and gain much at all. However, if I just listen I remember most of what was said. I also have good retention from just reading.

That's just me, I've gone to school and to church with folks who were very different, and different in a variety of ways.

Still, for most folks various means of repetition is helpful...hearing, seeing and applying.

• Members

No evidence that Jesus or any of His Apostles carried scrolls.  They were known by their testimony, by the way they lived.

My neighbors know I am a Christian, and I don't have to carry a Bible under my arm either.  They know because I live it in front of them.  My testimony before men is not a little black book.  Rather, it is my life in Christ. It is the Word that is hid in my heart.  It is the way I live different than they. 

It has opened doors for me to give an answer for the hope that lies within me.

2 Timothy 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments

I think Paul preferred the parchments (scrolls?).

Everyone has bibles at church (Central Baptist Baton Rouge, Pastor B. G. Buchanan). I use mostly bound bibles (I mark them with a cyclic reading schedule in the contents and mark pages as I read). However, I believe the cleanest King James Bible text is electronic and can be verified by merging word documents to see if the computer marks differences. This was done for various King James Bible electronic documents and the result is the Pure Cambridge Edition. Whether or not the name "pure" bothers you this is still the future for Christians to ensure the word of God is not tampered with. Having masters on each of our computers so that the clean-ness of a text can be verified and it will never crumble and can be copied from flash drive, to dvd, to flash drive.

• Members

Electronic notes are much easier for me than pencil and pad.  I have quite a few notes on my iPad from sermons I heard.

I don't really even know what an iPad is, how they work or what they are even for.

I'm slowing crawling into the 21st century but not too quickly!

• Members

Basically, it's a hand-held computer.

Able to get on internet with it (if you have an internet connection), store many books on it for reading, (Bibles too) calentar,  games, etc., etc..

9"x7" screen,

Wow, no wonder I hear so many people talking about them! Are they expensive?

Archived