• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Electronic Bible

irishman

• Members

Like i said before, I think it's good for a Christian to carry a bible instead of a "tablet" or "i-Pad". When you carry a bible people know right away that you are a "bible-thumper", there's no hiding that you are a "Jesus freak" or "right wing religious fanatic". To me carrying an electronic bible is an attempt to hide your discipleship, to follow afar off. Carrying a bible is good for crucifying that flesh. If you don't believe me try walking down the road with a bible in hand compared to a tablet or smartphone with the bible on it. Or maybe walk into work with either a big black bible in hand or your new i-Pad and see which one gets you the strange looks and comments (good or bad) from your coworkers. Carrying a bible helps embolden other Christians too who see you do it. I know this from firsthand experience.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who can say what the scroll readers thought?  they had no alternative until the bound book came out, then they were accustomed to scrolls already.  I do feel that I'm missing something when I read the online Bible on my computer, even though it is a great program.  It has nothing to do with other ages or ancient times; as Bro Matt said, the important thing is that we read it, and read it regularly. 

• Members

No evidence that Jesus or any of His Apostles carried scrolls.  They were known by their testimony, by the way they lived.

My neighbors know I am a Christian, and I don't have to carry a Bible under my arm either.  They know because I live it in front of them.  My testimony before men is not a little black book.  Rather, it is my life in Christ. It is the Word that is hid in my heart.  It is the way I live different than they. 

It has opened doors for me to give an answer for the hope that lies within me.

• Administrators

Trust me there is nothing like carrying a Bible as I still love to carry mine to church.

Being a Christian is more than just toting your Bible around. I know when I am knocking on doors carrying a Bible in my hand, less people will open the door. I'm not ashamed of being a Christian, I just would rather talk to them first than have them hide and never get a chance to talk. That works better for me, and it may not work better for you. However the Lord leads you.

• Moderators

May I suggest putting your extra copies of the KJV Bibles at back of church for visitors to use if they attend and don't bring one? At my local thrift shop religious books are free and whenever there's a KJV I put it at the back of the church for visitors. We have a big stack now!

We have KJV bibles in every pew, four per pew. A few we have given away, but we keep a good stock on hand.

As for electronic Bibles, I see no problem with them, save that we must be alert for changes that may get slipped in. That happens even in bound KJV's, so watch for them. I use my wife's smart phone to read the Bible while we do laundry, and I have also been reading the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. If you've never read the bookl I recommend it-its vastly different from the movie. I have heard there is a lot of symbolism concerning the financial world and the big bankers, so I am looking for that. There's also not a little biblical symbolism, (like when Glenda the 'good witch' of the north kisses Dorothy on the forehead and it leaves a mark of protection on her-God resides in the 'sides of the north', and of course, we all understand the significance of the mark on the forhead, both from the Lord and the antichrist.)

• Members

I have read the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  Used to have the L. Frank Baum collection of Oz books as a youth.

You are right, there is much difference in the book.  Quadlings, for one.  Hammerheads, now that's a funny sort of people.  LOL  Millions of mice, etc., etc..

Yes, we do need to be aware of what is written electronically in the Bibles.  And if we find error, as I said previously, contact the author/publisher with the discrepancy. 

• Members

Much of this is a matter of preference. Some find reading from a computer or electronic devise easier while others find reading from an actual book to be easier.

Myself, I'm unable to comfortable read long readings on the computer. It's uncomfortable and my eyes don't like it at all. That makes for distractions and I get far less from reading the Word on a computer than I do from reading my print Bible.

I don't have any mobile devises but there are some in our church who use them. They like them and find them to be very convenient. So far, the ones I've seen would be difficult for me to read as the print is small and because of the screen lighting.

I'm thankful we have so many options for reading the Word in this country and also saddened that in the most Bible saturated nation we have a population that is extremely biblically illiterate.

So true, yet some seem to insinuate if your do not set down with that old Black Book your not really reading the Word of God.

Before I was called to this church they tell me a man had a Franklin electronic Bible & he was constantly punching keys on it hardly ever looking up from it, & that it disturbed many. I see how that could be true.

Of course setting in Sunday school or during preaching a person could disturb those around them using the old 'Black Book,' & I have seen some that do. Of course it would be worse during preaching service than Sunday school, for in Sunday school its usually an open discussion & at time it calls for us to search the Scriptures.

Yet we sure we need to show respect for those around us during preaching services & try our best not to disturb anyone, it could make the difference in a lost soul getting saved or staying lost. Surely not on us would want to be responsible for a soul not getting saved.

Sad to say some people wherever they are they seem to think highly of self & they always cause a stir all around them, sometime it seem some do so to make sure they're noticed.

• Members

Like i said before, I think it's good for a Christian to carry a bible instead of a "tablet" or "i-Pad". When you carry a bible people know right away that you are a "bible-thumper", there's no hiding that you are a "Jesus freak" or "right wing religious fanatic". To me carrying an electronic bible is an attempt to hide your discipleship, to follow afar off. Carrying a bible is good for crucifying that flesh. If you don't believe me try walking down the road with a bible in hand compared to a tablet or smartphone with the bible on it. Or maybe walk into work with either a big black bible in hand or your new i-Pad and see which one gets you the strange looks and comments (good or bad) from your coworkers. Carrying a bible helps embolden other Christians too who see you do it. I know this from firsthand experience.

I 100% agree, every step you take is a good witness for Christ when your holding that old 'Black Book' in your hand.

Yet the way a person dresses can be a witness too. For instants.

One Wednesday night after services I stopped at a convenience store to get something. I was wearing a blazer, dress shirt, blue jeans that had been pressed, & we were standing in lie to pay for what we were getting & it was quite busy. And old man said to me, "Looks like you've been to church."

He was standing behind me & I turned to him & said, "Yes, I just left our services."

He them replied, "When i was a young boy my mother took me to church every Sunday, but when I left home I never went back to church."

I said, "You ought to go back to church I know that would make your mother happy."

He replied, "She would not know it she has already died."

I replied, "Because she is dead does not mean she would not know, that is if she went to Heaven."

About that time it was time for me to pay out, I handed him a tract & asked him to read it, inviting him to church."

If I had been dressed like many that opportunity may not have presented it self.

• Members

I don't handle change easily either, but if it is enough to equal a dollar, well, that's different!

Kidding aside, I see you mentioned carrying a Bible when you go soul winning.  I have found too that people will often try to pretend no one is home, and we even see lights go off in the house (as if we did not know someone was there!).  Anyway that is why I carry a "soul winning New Testament" in the inside pocket of my coat.

My "Franklin" fits into the pocket also, but I only use that when traveling so I don't have to pack a lot of books when I do my reading and studying.

Works well for me.

I do read the E-Sword Bible online, but as I said, I miss the Book; I have nothing against reading an electronic Bible, as long as it KJB.  E-Sword is not KJV when you download it, but I deleted all the others, so now only have the red letter, and all black and white versions on my program.  Many of the downloads are not KJV either, but there are a few that are.

• Members

You ever notice that Baptists seem not to handle change very easily? :)

It's not just Baptists, it's everyone. No one likes change. Common practice and patterns, daily rituals, etc. helps us emotionally feel there's some stability in our lives.

• Members

It's not just Baptists, it's everyone. No one likes change. Common practice and patterns, daily rituals, etc. helps us emotionally feel there's some stability in our lives.

:thumb:

Correct.

Yet the main thing about us Baptist is we do not like doctrinal changes, we do not want to be watered down & some that's come in among us just can't stand that, they want to make us liberal following the ways of false teachers. Of course they don't understand the difference between God's truths & the many false teachers.

With that said many of the changes that's taken place has not been for the better, us humans are continuing to become more evil just as God said we would.

Just look as what the cell phones & social media has done to many of our children, & grown ups too. And those who fail to keep up with the world are put down. But that's OK, "I Can't Feel At Home In this World Anymore!"

Php 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Wow, I'm so happy that my citizenship is in Heaven, & not this world!

Archived