• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

irishman

The Electronic Bible

This past Sunday in church, I could not find the Book of Jonah, which was the reference that the preacher wanted us to turn to!  Now, I have studied the Bible for about 40 years, diligently, and (almost) daily, and I know the books of the bible very well, but my wife had to find Jonah for me.  I know that it is partly because of my condition, but I also attribute it to the electronic Bible on my computer.  I don't have to look up the book anymore with that, simply go quickly down a list and click it on!  Too easy.  I (should I say "we") need to get back to that "old black Book" and flip the pages again.  I miss doing that anyway.

I have 19 Bibles in my home (and not ONE of them is a MV.) and they simply decorate my bookcase.  I alternate them occasionally, but some I hardly ever use.  The thing is, it seems so different to relax in my chair (a "lazy boy) and read from the Bible, but I find that I enjoy it much more that way.  Something about tradition, I suppose. 

That incident at church has happened before, as the ammonia in my blood destroys brain cells, but I saw it coming anyway, and was just too lazy to get back to "Book learning", but not frequently, thank the Lord.  Anyway, I file a valid indictment against my electronic Bible, and charge it with robbing me of a special blessing by alluring me back to the ease and "quickness" it offers.  Maybe it is something for each of us to think about. 

Remember spreading the books out on the table, and flipping through the pages, and enjoying hours of time with the Word of God?  I do, and I miss it terribly.

I only open my hardback Bible on occasion.

Most frequently, I am reading passages either on the PC, or on the iPad.  It is much easier for me electronically due to my visual challenge.  I am able to magnify the letters so they are easier to read.

Like you, I have several KJV Bibles and will glance through them now and then.  But even the largest print Bible I have (24 point) is hard on my eyes after only a few minutes of reading.

I'll stick with the electronic.

What do you suppose was the first reaction to the written Word?  Prior to men of God writing as moved by the Holy Ghost, communication of the Word was pretty much oral, was it not?  How do you suppose people reacted to the first written Bibles?

Change is inevitable after technology advances, I'm told.

Here is our ancestor's idea of googling...
library-card-catalogs.jpg

I don't care for reading anything of length on a computer. My eyes don't care for it and for some reason I don't seem to get as much out of it. It's great to be able to quickly look up a verse or passage online sometimes but I mostly only do that for ease when I'm doing something online.

When it comes to my daily Bible reading, I have a Bible next to my chair in the living room. On the couch I sometimes read at in the afternoons I have another Bible. On weekends I often do my afternoon reading in my sons room because of the good lighting and I use his Bible which is on his beds headboard shelf. Even here in front of my computer I have a couple of devotionals, which I typically read from one in the morning and the other at night. I also have two Bibles next to my computer, the one I carry to church and the one I read from while sitting here. At my desk is another Bible which I use for study and my more "formal" prayer time. I also keep a large print New Testament with Psalms in my car that's great for reading anytime I have to wait somewhere and easy to use for witnessing.

Due to the growing popularity of electronic Bibles, many have dropped teaching and memorizing the books of the Bible and where to find them. This is similar to the reason some schools have stopped teaching cursive writing. In both cases, they say with electronic devices, such is no longer needed. Many younger folks couldn't find a particular Bible book or verse if handed a print Bible even if they have grown up in church.

Our church still has pew Bibles, but I know many churches today either no longer have pew Bibles or they have very old ones which will not be replaced. This is due to the use of multimedia, which most churches today use, where they show the Bible verses on a screen, and the popularity of electronic Bibles.

We have some people in our church that use electronic Bibles, and it's not just the young folks.

Electronic Bibles can be great but I don't think we should neglect at least the occasional use of print Bibles and the teaching of how to use them.

For myself, I'm sticking primarily to print Bible in hand.

As I preach I have noticed more and more people using tablets and phone to follow Bible passages. I have no problem with it. When the book binding came along do you think certain people said, "No way, I'll stick with the scroll"? I do not know, just thinking out-loud. There are many distractions with phones and tablets, but I have not really noticed that too much of that in churches as I preach. Those same people used to daydream anyways before they switched to their phone.

Of course when I am preaching and someone says amen out of place, I'll comment that someone just scored a touchdown. :)

May I suggest putting your extra copies of the KJV Bibles at back of church for visitors to use if they attend and don't bring one? At my local thrift shop religious books are free and whenever there's a KJV I put it at the back of the church for visitors. We have a big stack now!

I use nearly all my Bibles, except for a few.  When I was a young Christian I bought my wife and I the New Scofield Bible, but soon learned that the KJV was not always used there, especially in the notes.  I have mine all marked up anyway, and can hardly read some of it now, so I don't use it much at all, and never at church.

I forgot to mention that I also have a New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs, and so does my wife.  It fits well in the inside pocket of suit and sport coats.  It is excellent for soul winning.

Anyway, I just wondered if falling in love that "old black Book" was common, or if I was just sentimental, but it doesn't matter, I feel like going back to my bound Bible since I don't have an expensive cell phone or those other electronic gadgets to carry with me. (don't even know how to send a text message, and don't care!)

Oh, I also have a Franklin electronic Bible, it's as old as Methuselah, but still works if I can remember how to use it.  It was quite popular when they first came out.

I love using books over electronic anything, the Bible included.  I know it's new technology, and I do want to get an eReader - I think it'll be nice to carry in my purse rather than a big book.  Although I will still carry my New Testament as well.

I've got a Franklin electronic Bible but never cared for it.

I do all my Bible reading on my computer, much easier for me, I highly dislike setting reading a book since all my neck troubles & surgeries.

Plus the search feature on the computer bible is so much better.

I carry my old 'Black Book' to church!

I'm with you Marty and did the same thing last month too!  I read too much on the computer lately and am determined to read from my old black book all the time again.  There's no substitute for holding His Word in my hands!  I get far more out of reading the book then reading from a computer screen.

The Bible on a mobile electronic device is just as much God's Word as it is in between the covers of a book. It is God's Word no matter what format it is in; written or spoken

Now, if I should run across a mistake while reading the electronic format, then I email the author/publisher. I have done this in the past.

I once had a KJV in book format that was missing the book of Obadiah.

The Bible on a mobile electronic device is just as much God's Word as it is in between the covers of a book. It is God's Word no matter what format it is in; written or spoken

Now, if I should run across a mistake while reading the electronic format, then I email the author/publisher. I have done this in the past.

I once had a KJV in book format that was missing the book of Obadiah.

Much of this is a matter of preference. Some find reading from a computer or electronic devise easier while others find reading from an actual book to be easier.

Myself, I'm unable to comfortable read long readings on the computer. It's uncomfortable and my eyes don't like it at all. That makes for distractions and I get far less from reading the Word on a computer than I do from reading my print Bible.

I don't have any mobile devises but there are some in our church who use them. They like them and find them to be very convenient. So far, the ones I've seen would be difficult for me to read as the print is small and because of the screen lighting.

I'm thankful we have so many options for reading the Word in this country and also saddened that in the most Bible saturated nation we have a population that is extremely biblically illiterate.

It is one of those things that whatever works best for you. If you get more out of reading a book, then absolutely use the book. If you get more out of reading the Bible on a tablet, then use the tablet. The important thing is that you are reading Gods word, the KJV. Unless you do not know English, then the KJV will do you no good. 

Like i said before, I think it's good for a Christian to carry a bible instead of a "tablet" or "i-Pad". When you carry a bible people know right away that you are a "bible-thumper", there's no hiding that you are a "Jesus freak" or "right wing religious fanatic". To me carrying an electronic bible is an attempt to hide your discipleship, to follow afar off. Carrying a bible is good for crucifying that flesh. If you don't believe me try walking down the road with a bible in hand compared to a tablet or smartphone with the bible on it. Or maybe walk into work with either a big black bible in hand or your new i-Pad and see which one gets you the strange looks and comments (good or bad) from your coworkers. Carrying a bible helps embolden other Christians too who see you do it. I know this from firsthand experience.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

Who can say what the scroll readers thought?  they had no alternative until the bound book came out, then they were accustomed to scrolls already.  I do feel that I'm missing something when I read the online Bible on my computer, even though it is a great program.  It has nothing to do with other ages or ancient times; as Bro Matt said, the important thing is that we read it, and read it regularly. 

Edited by irishman

No evidence that Jesus or any of His Apostles carried scrolls.  They were known by their testimony, by the way they lived.

My neighbors know I am a Christian, and I don't have to carry a Bible under my arm either.  They know because I live it in front of them.  My testimony before men is not a little black book.  Rather, it is my life in Christ. It is the Word that is hid in my heart.  It is the way I live different than they. 

It has opened doors for me to give an answer for the hope that lies within me.

Trust me there is nothing like carrying a Bible as I still love to carry mine to church.

Being a Christian is more than just toting your Bible around. I know when I am knocking on doors carrying a Bible in my hand, less people will open the door. I'm not ashamed of being a Christian, I just would rather talk to them first than have them hide and never get a chance to talk. That works better for me, and it may not work better for you. However the Lord leads you.

May I suggest putting your extra copies of the KJV Bibles at back of church for visitors to use if they attend and don't bring one? At my local thrift shop religious books are free and whenever there's a KJV I put it at the back of the church for visitors. We have a big stack now!

We have KJV bibles in every pew, four per pew. A few we have given away, but we keep a good stock on hand.

As for electronic Bibles, I see no problem with them, save that we must be alert for changes that may get slipped in. That happens even in bound KJV's, so watch for them. I use my wife's smart phone to read the Bible while we do laundry, and I have also been reading the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. If you've never read the bookl I recommend it-its vastly different from the movie. I have heard there is a lot of symbolism concerning the financial world and the big bankers, so I am looking for that. There's also not a little biblical symbolism, (like when Glenda the 'good witch' of the north kisses Dorothy on the forehead and it leaves a mark of protection on her-God resides in the 'sides of the north', and of course, we all understand the significance of the mark on the forhead, both from the Lord and the antichrist.)

I have read the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  Used to have the L. Frank Baum collection of Oz books as a youth.

You are right, there is much difference in the book.  Quadlings, for one.  Hammerheads, now that's a funny sort of people.  LOL  Millions of mice, etc., etc..

Yes, we do need to be aware of what is written electronically in the Bibles.  And if we find error, as I said previously, contact the author/publisher with the discrepancy. 

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

Much of this is a matter of preference. Some find reading from a computer or electronic devise easier while others find reading from an actual book to be easier.

Myself, I'm unable to comfortable read long readings on the computer. It's uncomfortable and my eyes don't like it at all. That makes for distractions and I get far less from reading the Word on a computer than I do from reading my print Bible.

I don't have any mobile devises but there are some in our church who use them. They like them and find them to be very convenient. So far, the ones I've seen would be difficult for me to read as the print is small and because of the screen lighting.

I'm thankful we have so many options for reading the Word in this country and also saddened that in the most Bible saturated nation we have a population that is extremely biblically illiterate.

So true, yet some seem to insinuate if your do not set down with that old Black Book your not really reading the Word of God.

Before I was called to this church they tell me a man had a Franklin electronic Bible & he was constantly punching keys on it hardly ever looking up from it, & that it disturbed many. I see how that could be true.

Of course setting in Sunday school or during preaching a person could disturb those around them using the old 'Black Book,' & I have seen some that do. Of course it would be worse during preaching service than Sunday school, for in Sunday school its usually an open discussion & at time it calls for us to search the Scriptures.

Yet we sure we need to show respect for those around us during preaching services & try our best not to disturb anyone, it could make the difference in a lost soul getting saved or staying lost. Surely not on us would want to be responsible for a soul not getting saved.

Sad to say some people wherever they are they seem to think highly of self & they always cause a stir all around them, sometime it seem some do so to make sure they're noticed.

Like i said before, I think it's good for a Christian to carry a bible instead of a "tablet" or "i-Pad". When you carry a bible people know right away that you are a "bible-thumper", there's no hiding that you are a "Jesus freak" or "right wing religious fanatic". To me carrying an electronic bible is an attempt to hide your discipleship, to follow afar off. Carrying a bible is good for crucifying that flesh. If you don't believe me try walking down the road with a bible in hand compared to a tablet or smartphone with the bible on it. Or maybe walk into work with either a big black bible in hand or your new i-Pad and see which one gets you the strange looks and comments (good or bad) from your coworkers. Carrying a bible helps embolden other Christians too who see you do it. I know this from firsthand experience.

I 100% agree, every step you take is a good witness for Christ when your holding that old 'Black Book' in your hand.

Yet the way a person dresses can be a witness too. For instants.

One Wednesday night after services I stopped at a convenience store to get something. I was wearing a blazer, dress shirt, blue jeans that had been pressed, & we were standing in lie to pay for what we were getting & it was quite busy. And old man said to me, "Looks like you've been to church."

He was standing behind me & I turned to him & said, "Yes, I just left our services."

He them replied, "When i was a young boy my mother took me to church every Sunday, but when I left home I never went back to church."

I said, "You ought to go back to church I know that would make your mother happy."

He replied, "She would not know it she has already died."

I replied, "Because she is dead does not mean she would not know, that is if she went to Heaven."

About that time it was time for me to pay out, I handed him a tract & asked him to read it, inviting him to church."

If I had been dressed like many that opportunity may not have presented it self.