• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wild Beast Feast....too Wild For Me

heartstrings

• Members

Last night, I went to a "wild beast feast" at a large Baptist church in Panama City, Florida, The guest speaker was Clay Dyer, a man with no arms or legs, and there was supposed to be about 3700 in attendance. The message was OK. He preached salvation, but the only "Hell" mentioned was being saved from a "life of living Hell". The burning Hell of Luke chapter 16 didn't seem to be an issue.The theme was essentially "stop feeling sorry for yourself.....Jesus will save you from living a wasted life". That sounds well and good but what about being saved from Hell?  

That was distressing, but what distressed me most, personally, was that my son was playing music with the guest band which was the only reason I went in the first place.. I had asked my son, before agreeing to let him play with this band, if they would be doing Gospel Music. He assured me they would. Well, they're doing some gospel alright, but have started playing worldly stuff too.. I went to this event, fully expecting to hear Godly music but instead had an eye opening experience. Why would a Baptist church allow worldly songs? If I was the pastor, and a band played some of the stuff they did, I would have made them stop immediately. But no one did a thing, just let them sing more worldly songs. 3700 people and no conviction. So I wrote down the names of three of the songs they performed and Googled the lyrics. Take a  look at these lyrics and tell me, brother, sister or pastor; would you allow such lyrics to be sung at your church? 

Midnight Flyer (the "Eagles" rock band did this one too BTW)
Oo, midnight flyer
Engineer, won't you let your whistle moan? 
Oo, midnight flyer
I paid my dues and I feel like trav'lin' on

A runaway team of horses ain't enough to make me stay
So throw your rope on another man
And pull him down your way
Make him into someone who can take the place of me
Make him every kind of fool you wanted me to be

Do those kinds of words, exhort men to lead Godly homes?

"Big Spike Hammer"

Can't you hear the whistle of my big spike hammer

Lord it's busting my side
I've done all I can do to keep that woman happy
Still she's not satisfied

Hey hey Della Mae
   Why do you treat me this way
   Hey hey Della Mae
   I'll get even some day

What is that supposed to mean?  and what kind of edification does that give to 3700 men, most of them probably LOST, at a Baptist church? Does it promote Holy Ghost conviction?

"Rocky Top"

Once two strangers climbed ol' Rocky Top
Lookin' for a moonshine still
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top
Reckon they never will

Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top
Dirt's too rocky by far
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top
Get their corn from a jar

I'll let you make your own judgement on that one. No I won't: aren't men supposed to be saved from SIN? So why allow sin to ne glorified at a Baptist Church? I now wish I had gone up on the stage and told my son to pack up his instrument and leave....but something tells me that would NOT have gone well. Would someone who can get ahold of God, please pray for my Son? I hate to be overly candid about my family, but lets just say. I'm pretty much going to have be the "bad guy" once again; having already expressed my concerns to my son a number of times, I now intend to tell him that he cannot play in this band anymore as long as he's under my roof. Please pray that it will go well.

• Members

Forgot to mention, those songs do not belong in a worship service. That is, unless the worship is intended to be of someone or something that is not God.

You're right, And my son assured me in our last conversation that he would not be playing in any more venues except at churches, I thought everything was OK. But if churches have no scruples as to the content of their music, I guess we have another problem. We were playing at a "gospel jam" once, at a Pentecostal church, when some guy started playing a secular peace, no words mind you, and one of the members abruptly stopped him saying "we're playing only gospel here". Too bad that Baptist church didn't have any such convictions.

• Members

Hope & pray you will be able to get though to your son. Amazing what some churches will let come in, I suppose they keep their doors wide open to the world, perhaps some thinks if they close the door on them they will offend them. Yet I believe Jesus told us that if we walk close to Him many would be offended.

• Members

You're right, And my son assured me in our last conversation that he would not be playing in any more venues except at churches, I thought everything was OK. But if churches have no scruples as to the content of their music, I guess we have another problem. We were playing at a "gospel jam" once, at a Pentecostal church, when some guy started playing a secular peace, no words mind you, and one of the members abruptly stopped him saying "we're playing only gospel here". Too bad that Baptist church didn't have any such convictions.

I think prior consideration & prayer needed to utilized before even thinking of attending 1.) Pentecostal church 2.) Gospel JAM.

Honestly, what did you expect?

Aren't we to separate ourselves from things of the world? Worldly music and charismatics?

• Members

I will pray for your son especially, the church will go on the way they have been,m most likely, ignoring admonitions to do right. 

Satan knows hoe to get to us through our children, and he is very good at it.  One thing, music is a powerful force, whether we like to admit it or not--you may have a battle on your hands. 

• Members

I think prior consideration & prayer needed to utilized before even thinking of attending 1.) Pentecostal church 2.) Gospel JAM.

Honestly, what did you expect?

Aren't we to separate ourselves from things of the world? Worldly music and charismatics?

At the very time of that incident our pastor at the time, in the IFB church I was saved in, was copying the sermons of "7 point Calvinist" John Piper and reading them off, practically word for word. I discovered it, PRAYED many sleepless nights over it, then tried to confront him respectfully but was sharply rebuked for even questioning him. When he left, he took all recordings of his sermons with him, except the one I had asked our sound man for. So where can we go to completely separate ourselves from "things of the world"?

I won't say for sure, but I most likely prayed over the "jam" business too because I distinctly remember seeking Godly council before doing it. But you are right, that may have been a very bad mistake, one of a great many I've made. Please pray for us.

edited to add

• Members

At the very time of that incident our pastor at the time, in the IFB church I was saved in, was copying the sermons of "7 point Calvinist" John Piper and reading them off, practically word for word. I discovered it, PRAYED many sleepless nights over it, then tried to confront him respectfully but was sharply rebuked for even questioning him. When he left, he took all recordings of his sermons with him, except the one I had asked our sound man for. So where can we go to completely separate ourselves from "things of the world"?

I won't say for sure, but I most likely prayed over the "jam" business too because I distinctly remember seeking Godly council before doing it. But you are right, that may have been a very bad mistake, one of a great many I've made. Please pray for us.

edited to add

We discovered one of our former pastors using a sermon outline written by Robert Sargent and preaching the message practically verbatim.

Which raises a question...

How many other sermons are these pastors using that belong to someone else?  Is the pastor actually studying the Word of God himself at all? or is he just relying on the words of man to guide him in his "study"? (if it can be called study)

• Members

Standing firm, I have heard some pretty wretched sermons, I hope they did copy those!

I was videotaping that particular sermon, as I did every Sunday.  When we got in the car to go home, Linda mentioned to me that the sermon sounded like one delivered by Robert Sargent. 

We brought it home, and listened to it while reading Sargen'ts.  Practically identical.

Truthfully, I kind of lose interest in pastors who don't at least tell their congregations that they are using someone elses material.  Shows a total lack of study... at least for that sermon anyway.

Archived