• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches That Are Against Having Drums In The Music...

The Glory Land

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it really that much better? Why not just turn completely loose of the world letting Christ transform you?

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

There's no sacrifice to great for Him & His cause after all he paid a great price for our salvation.

1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
1Pe 2:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

I believe the Roman scriptures you are using on this topic is taken out of context and quite an assumption to think that I may not be letting God transform me because I listen to CCM.

Paul was pleading with the believers to reject the popular worldview, behaviors and customs of that time (relating to the way of salvation). You would have to read all of Romans to get that.  Although he was writing to Gentiles, Paul goes through Jewish history and refers to OT scriptures showing that salvation came first to the Jews.

The Jews' old customs were to sacrifice animals but now Paul was telling them they should become living sacrifices.  How do you become a living sacrifice?  If you read further in Romans 12 he explains this by how we are to carry out His work...teaching, preaching, giving, comforting...just to name a few.  Then tells us what NOT to do....don't curse someone who mistreats you. Don't pay back evil for evil.  Don't quarrel.  Be at peace with everyone. Don't be vengeful...etc.

If you read Romans 11 first, you will see how Chapter 12 relates to salvation and how saved people should act and NOT act.

Salvation happens internally and the changes that happen are different for everyone.  So now read Romans 14.  The whole chapter.  It is about weak and strong believers.  The illustration is whether or not to eat meat sacrificed to idols.  Let's change that to whether it's right or wrong to listen to CCM because this is a huge subject of our day.  You and others on this forum think it's wrong.  I think it's OK and does not dishonor God if I listen to it.  Therefore, Romans 14  tells us not to do what is against our conscience.  So don't listen to it.  But I will.  But I won't in front of someone who thinks it's wrong.  And since Romans 14:16 tells us not to do something that causes criticism against yourself even though you know what you do is right, I choose not to speak on this topic anymore.  This is my last post regarding CCM.  I will NOT respond to anymore responses.

Be careful as Christians and brothers and sisters in Christ how we talk to each other and make assumptions on a forum where we don't know each other for that is not honoring to God and you never know who may be reading any of this.  A weak Christian or atheist.  Although I think this forum is for Christians, specifically IFB, anyone can look up a topic (that's how I got here) and come to this page and read all of this and some of the things I've read on here calling people sodomites and heathens...etc. is not honoring to God.  This would make a non-Christian turn away.  And please....if you're going to use scripture to prove a point, make sure it's in context with the subject.  It's not a proper or loving way to take one scripture verse and use it to our own advantage just to prove our own point.  God bless!

• Administrators

I believe the Roman scriptures you are using on this topic is taken out of context and quite an assumption to think that I may not be letting God transform me because I listen to CCM.

Paul was pleading with the believers to reject the popular worldview, behaviors and customs of that time (relating to the way of salvation). Don't kid yourself that it is only for salvation.  Read Romans 7.  Not just salvation at all....You would have to read all of Romans to get that.  Although he was writing to Gentiles, Paul goes through Jewish history and refers to OT scriptures showing that salvation came first to the Jews. 

The Jews' old customs were to sacrifice animals but now Paul was telling them they should become living sacrifices.  How do you become a living sacrifice?  If you read further in Romans 12 he explains this by how we are to carry out His work...teaching, preaching, giving, comforting...just to name a few.  Then tells us what NOT to do....don't curse someone who mistreats you. Don't pay back evil for evil.  Don't quarrel.  Be at peace with everyone. Don't be vengeful...etc.

If you read Romans 11 first, you will see how Chapter 12 relates to salvation and how saved people should act and NOT act.  

Salvation happens internally and the changes that happen are different for everyone.  So now read Romans 14.  The whole chapter.  It is about weak and strong believers.  The illustration is whether or not to eat meat sacrificed to idols.  Let's change that to whether it's right or wrong to listen to CCM because this is a huge subject of our day.  You and others on this forum think it's wrong.  I think it's OK and does not dishonor God if I listen to it.  Therefore, Romans 14  tells us not to do what is against our conscience.  So don't listen to it.  But I will.  But I won't in front of someone who thinks it's wrong. You can listen to anything you want.  But when discussed on a public forum, don't be surprised when someone disagrees with you and has the temerity to quote scripture...about any topic, really. And since Romans 14:16 tells us not to do something that causes criticism against yourself even though you know what you do is right, I choose not to speak on this topic anymore. Hate to say this, but this idea takes Rom. 14:16 out of context...  This is my last post regarding CCM.  I will NOT respond to anymore responses. And that is totally your right not to do.

Be careful as Christians and brothers and sisters in Christ how we talk to each other and make assumptions on a forum where we don't know each other for that is not honoring to God and you never know who may be reading any of this. Which is exactly why, in my responsibility as a mod, I pointed out the problem with your response to heartstrings.... A weak Christian or atheist.  Although I think this forum is for Christians, specifically IFB, anyone can look up a topic (that's how I got here) and come to this page and read all of this and some of the things I've read on here calling people sodomites and heathens...etc. is not honoring to God. Attitude is important, too, and does come through in postings most of the time. This would make a non-Christian turn away.  And please....if you're going to use scripture to prove a point, make sure it's in context with the subject.  It's not a proper or loving way to take one scripture verse and use it to our own advantage just to prove our own point. You're right, it's not.  But it's also not proper to proclaim that verses are taken out of context because we don't like the application. God bless! God bless you, too, and I do hope you continue to post on the forum.

• Members
:P 

Is this biblical, and who believe this having drums in a church, is of the devil? 
:popcorn:

I don't believe it is "of the devil", and I personally wouldn't have a problem with, say, a drum being used at a 4th of July Sunday with patriotic songs.  I completely reject the idea of having drums to make a beat to the music like we hear in a secular setting.  (That said, a person CAN play a piano that way too, and it just sounds out of place!!)  However!  Just because you "can" play a drum occasionally in a church setting, doesn't necessarily mean you "should".  It is a heated topic for some people, might cause unnecessary disputes, begin a slippery slope, etc.  I would have to wonder is it "helpful"?  I like the point brought out about sometimes the focus is too heavily put on the music.  If we get all bent out of shape about the worship music constantly it isn't helpful.  The devil wins then, because our focus is off.  We can't worship God properly when we are all squabbling, and if we are focused mostly on the squabbling and the stuff going on only inside those four walls of the church, then we are thinking of ourselves instead of the others that need to hear the Gospel.   Happy, I'm glad you can have a full orchestra, most churches don't have a college church that can do that.  :)   Oh, and you, Opening Poster, stop eating that popcorn!  :knuppel:  :P

• Administrators

Happy, I'm glad you can have a full orchestra, most churches don't have a college church that can do that.  :)   

Just FYI, the orchestra does not consist of college students.  There are a few who play in it, but by and large it isn't the college.  I know, most churches don't have the capacity for an orchestra. And I certainly hope I don't come across as bragging....

• Members

I don't believe it is "of the devil", and I personally wouldn't have a problem with, say, a drum being used at a 4th of July Sunday with patriotic songs.  I completely reject the idea of having drums to make a beat to the music like we hear in a secular setting.  (That said, a person CAN play a piano that way too, and it just sounds out of place!!)  However!  Just because you "can" play a drum occasionally in a church setting, doesn't necessarily mean you "should".  It is a heated topic for some people, might cause unnecessary disputes, begin a slippery slope, etc.  I would have to wonder is it "helpful"?  I like the point brought out about sometimes the focus is too heavily put on the music.  If we get all bent out of shape about the worship music constantly it isn't helpful.  The devil wins then, because our focus is off.  We can't worship God properly when we are all squabbling, and if we are focused mostly on the squabbling and the stuff going on only inside those four walls of the church, then we are thinking of ourselves instead of the others that need to hear the Gospel.   Happy, I'm glad you can have a full orchestra, most churches don't have a college church that can do that.  :)   Oh, and you, Opening Poster, stop eating that popcorn!  :knuppel:  :P

Good post, and thanks, the popcorn does get between my teeths... :bump3:

• Members

Just FYI, the orchestra does not consist of college students.  There are a few who play in it, but by and large it isn't the college.  I know, most churches don't have the capacity for an orchestra. And I certainly hope I don't come across as bragging....

Oh, my, I did not mean it as if you were bragging!  I just meant that it wouldn't apply in the way it does to your church in most other settings.  If that makes sense.  I didn't expect it would be college students, either, but I'm sure the college makes a difference in the size and scope of how your church does things.  I probably didn't explain that well, but I think it is neat that your church has that ability and I'm sure it is a blessing.  :)

• Members

Paul was pleading with the believers to reject the popular worldview, behaviors and customs of that time (relating to the way of salvation). You would have to read all of Romans to get that.  Although he was writing to Gentiles, Paul goes through Jewish history and refers to OT scriptures showing that salvation came first to the Jews.

Salvation happens internally and the changes that happen are different for everyone.  So now read Romans 14.  The whole chapter.  It is about weak and strong believers.  The illustration is whether or not to eat meat sacrificed to idols.  Let's change that to whether it's right or wrong to listen to CCM because this is a huge subject of our day.  You and others on this forum think it's wrong.  I think it's OK and does not dishonor God if I listen to it.  Therefore, Romans 14  tells us not to do what is against our conscience.  So don't listen to it.  But I will.  But I won't in front of someone who thinks it's wrong.  And since Romans 14:16 tells us not to do something that causes criticism against yourself even though you know what you do is right, I choose not to speak on this topic anymore.  This is my last post regarding CCM.  I will NOT respond to anymore responses.

Be careful as Christians and brothers and sisters in Christ how we talk to each other and make assumptions on a forum where we don't know each other for that is not honoring to God and you never know who may be reading any of this.  A weak Christian or atheist.  Although I think this forum is for Christians, specifically IFB, anyone can look up a topic (that's how I got here) and come to this page and read all of this and some of the things I've read on here calling people sodomites and heathens...etc. is not honoring to God.  This would make a non-Christian turn away.  And please....if you're going to use scripture to prove a point, make sure it's in context with the subject.  It's not a proper or loving way to take one scripture verse and use it to our own advantage just to prove our own point.  God bless!

Yes, I notice anything you disagree with its out of context & not in a loving manner. Might ought to be careful God just may send someone into your life to put you on the right path, it would not be nice making accusations someone is not being loving towards you when God sends into your life to help you.

Its difficult to let go of the world, & worldly music; yet we should.

James 4:4  ".. know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God."

So for the sake of Jesus let go of the world & worldly music.

And if there's any doubt, don't do it.

Ro 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

And of course, every moment, we should let Jesus live within us, having His way, just as Paul did.

Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

And of course.

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us..."

The love of Christ will constrain us from latching on & holding to the world & all it has for Christ will mean much more to the saved person than anything the world has.

And if I'm not mistake, it seems your defending something the church your attending at present time does not do. That is I believe i read a post you made that stated the church your attending does not use CCM. If I'm mistake about this please forgive me & forget this portion of my post.

• Members

You know, not everyone had said that it's unscriptural to use drums, so lets remember that, please.

Laura, heart was simply pointing out that one long post, with no breaks, is harder to read. It is, in fact, good nettiquitte (internet etiquette) to break up a post. I'm sure he wasn't being rude. Dismissing the suggestion by stating that those intrrested will read it kind of was, though. Let's not be so quick to take offense - after all, none of us are the apostle Paul. ;-)

Dear HappyChristian,

I'm sorry if I seemed defensive.  I meant that as a joke and took the advice of someone who suggested that at the end of a punchline there should be a drum roll.  I also took "Heart's" advice and broke up my very last and final post on the topic into paragraphs.

For anyone else who may have read my posts, if I offended anyone, forgive me as my only intent was to share opinions and experiences.  I don't have all the answers.  None of us do.  But I do have an opinion. And my own free will to make up my own mind and stand firm on my beliefs.  The end.  Ba-da-bum!  :-) 

• Members

Wow.  This is still going on.

I say live and let live. What is great for one church is not for another.  One church likes voices only, another a band with drums, another an orchestra.  It's all good and all has a place as long as it comes from the heart and is a response to God's love for us. I don't see why this must be a debate.  

Archived