• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches That Are Against Having Drums In The Music...

The Glory Land

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

This whole thing leads to what I see as a larger issue: Should music play such a large role in the church as it does?

I am not even talking just about the contemporary rock n roll churches but even the good IFB churches, where they have a huge orchestra and choir, and 5 or six songs are 'performed' as well as four or five hymns.

When I read anything in the Bible related specifically to the activities of/in the assembly, I see music virtualy absent. I see preach, teach, reprove, reuke, exhort, doctrine, prophecy, prayer. !&2 Timothy and 1Cor are great places to find direction for the church, as well as Acts, for examples of practices. Where is the music?

I see we are to speak to one another and ourselves and the Lord with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs-doesn't even say to sing. Two of these could be purely personal, and the other, either among the assembly, or not.

So, very little about music, and virtually nothing about music as a part of corporate worship and praise in the church. And yet, it seems to be a major function of the churches anymore, sometimes even to overshadowing the preaching and teaching, which are the absoute primary activity of the churches. Today, we have fifth-Sunday-sings, Christmas and Easter contatas of all music and maybe a little play with it. The church my wife and I attended on our honeymoon had about 40 minutes of music and 15 minutes of preaching and announcements. Very poor percentages.

So again, this is my question: Should we even have much music at all in the church? Where is its biblical, NT basis? Sure, lots in the OT Temple worship, but almost nothing in the NT.

• Moderators

As for drums, the difference with them from other instruments is that they do't keep the beat, they drive the beat. They have been successfully used for particular nefarious purposes past and present.

During the sacrfices of babies to Molech, they would play drums very loudly to both drown out the screams of the burning infants, as well as to drive the people into a trance-state.

Voodoo practitioners use the drum to go into a trance to open themselves to possessions.

In Rock music, drums are used to both drive the beat, as wel as to set an hypnotic state on the listeners.

While its true that drums, themselves are not 'evil', their use has been for such wickedness in the past, it is difficult to ignore the associations, unless we are ignorant of them. Remember, the Lord demands that He be worshiped and aproached in holiness, not to be worshiped as the heathen worship their gods and more often than not, drums are heavily associated with pagan practices. Should we do the same?

• Administrators

This whole thing leads to what I see as a larger issue: Should music play such a large role in the church as it does?

I am not even talking just about the contemporary rock n roll churches but even the good IFB churches, where they have a huge orchestra and choir, and 5 or six songs are 'performed' as well as four or five hymns.

When I read anything in the Bible related specifically to the activities of/in the assembly, I see music virtualy absent. I see preach, teach, reprove, reuke, exhort, doctrine, prophecy, prayer. !&2 Timothy and 1Cor are great places to find direction for the church, as well as Acts, for examples of practices. Where is the music?

I see we are to speak to one another and ourselves and the Lord with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs-doesn't even say to sing. Two of these could be purely personal, and the other, either among the assembly, or not.

So, very little about music, and virtually nothing about music as a part of corporate worship and praise in the church. And yet, it seems to be a major function of the churches anymore, sometimes even to overshadowing the preaching and teaching, which are the absoute primary activity of the churches. Today, we have fifth-Sunday-sings, Christmas and Easter contatas of all music and maybe a little play with it. The church my wife and I attended on our honeymoon had about 40 minutes of music and 15 minutes of preaching and announcements. Very poor percentages.

So again, this is my question: Should we even have much music at all in the church? Where is its biblical, NT basis? Sure, lots in the OT Temple worship, but almost nothing in the NT.

So because there's almost nothing in the NT, we don't sing?  We don't use instruments?  Psalms, where we are told to praise the Lord with instruments is moot simply because it's OT?  I don't think so.  There's an awful lot in "corporate worship" that is not in the Bible.  Yes, we can call it tradition of man, but it actually only becomes that if it is anti-Bible...and praising God with instrument and voice is not.   The music would be in the same place that Sunday School, Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night services are; the same place set visitation times are; and so forth.  If we only do that which is obviously outlined in scripture, we are all wrong, because we aren't meeting daily from house to house...

I totally agree that if the singing overshadows the preaching it's wrong.  But just because some churches do that doesn't mean all do.  God created us as musical beings (yes, I know - some can't sing...but they can enjoy the music) and He encourages us to praise Him with that music (again vocally and instrumentally) in the Psalms.  

As for drums, the difference with them from other instruments is that they do't keep the beat, they drive the beat. They have been successfully used for particular nefarious purposes past and present.  When played properly, they don't drive the beat any more than any other percussion instrument, like the piano.

During the sacrfices of babies to Molech, they would play drums very loudly to both drown out the screams of the burning infants, as well as to drive the people into a trance-state.

Voodoo practitioners use the drum to go into a trance to open themselves to possessions.

In Rock music, drums are used to both drive the beat, as wel as to set an hypnotic state on the listeners.

While its true that drums, themselves are not 'evil', their use has been for such wickedness in the past, it is difficult to ignore the associations, unless we are ignorant of them. Remember, the Lord demands that He be worshiped and aproached in holiness, not to be worshiped as the heathen worship their gods and more often than not, drums are heavily associated with pagan practices. Should we do the same?  

Guaranteed that those who use drums in an ungodly way would know the difference between their music and godly music.  

The heathen also sing, and yet we are told to praise the Lord with song.  They use other instruments.  And yet we are told to praise the Lord with instruments.  There are a lot of things that have been used for wickedness - that does not make them intrinsically wicked.  

Don't get me wrong, Uke. If you don't want to use certain instruments (or any) in your services, kudos to you!  Really and honestly.  But we have to be careful of questioning the holiness of others because they do.  Now, if they use them in a way that links them to heathenish music, yes there is a question of their holiness. But if they don't use it that way, then there oughtn't be question - especially from those who are fellow-Christians. KWIM?

• Moderators

It certainly is.

Okay, Swath, I agree with you as to the order of good music, but I have to challenge this response. It's not enough to just say 'it's in the Bible' and leave it at that. If it's there, show us. 

• Members

Okay, Swath, I agree with you as to the order of good music, but I have to challenge this response. It's not enough to just say 'it's in the Bible' and leave it at that. If it's there, show us. 

I've done it already in past posts.  Yet, the same few (not you) keep asking me to produce evidence when they were involved in those earlier posts themselves and some have even read the same books as I.  

• Moderators

Well, the past posts aren't here. They may even be archived and unavailable for viewing. Can you copy/paste? Without the proof of the Scriptures, it comes across as if you really don't have any Scriptural proof, but are just saying you do - and that's very frustrating and unlikely to convince anyone. :wink

I am asking you because, like I said, although I agree that there is a certain order to good music, I have to confess that I do not see where in the Bible it says that melody must be strongest, followed by harmony, followed by rhythm. If it's there, I'd like to know it. 

• Members

This is a good question that a few churches consider, but it seems most either just go with the flow or follow an already established tradition.

Music shouldn't be the focus in regular services and absolutely should never be given more time than the sermon.

There should also be a purpose behind the music, not just having music or selecting whichever hymn the hymnal opens to.

Myself, I'm not in favor of church productions where the congregation sits and watches/listens to the "show". Some churches have big bands, orchestras and/or choirs that basically perform while the congregation enjoys the show.

I'm content with how our church uses music. Typically we have one or two hymns near the beginning, then one or two later. The hymns are selected based upon the sermon so they connect together. Sermons are always around 30 minutes, pastoral prayer takes several minutes (I've never timed it, I'm praying), the Scripture the sermon is based upon is read prior to the sermon, and we pass the plates, and once a month we partake of the Lord's Supper.

I know of no NT verses to support or give example of music in church so this would primarily be one of those areas where each church is at liberty to set their own policy on such. Music should be down the list in terms of priority for church services. This is one of the reasons I'm typically not for "music ministers" or the "worship leaders" some of the larger, more music-centered churches have.

The church myself and a couple others left back in the 90s was one of those that moved music to the primary position, giving about 45 minutes to music, with 10-15 minutes of preaching. No doubt it made the pastors job much easier only having to come up with a very short sermon.

• Members

Well, the past posts aren't here. They may even be archived and unavailable for viewing. Can you copy/paste? Without the proof of the Scriptures, it comes across as if you really don't have any Scriptural proof, but are just saying you do - and that's very frustrating and unlikely to convince anyone. :wink

I am asking you because, like I said, although I agree that there is a certain order to good music, I have to confess that I do not see where in the Bible it says that melody must be strongest, followed by harmony, followed by rhythm. If it's there, I'd like to know it. 

That's long been one of the problems with regards to discussions regarding music among Christians, and not just today, but over the centuries. There has been much put forward as if it's biblical truth when the Bible is actually silent on the matter.

This reminds me of preachers I've heard preach against certain kinds of music in church, but when you point out their black sister church down the street uses that music, he says it's okay for them.

Then there are those who try to impose certain American ideas of music upon Christians in other parts of the world with no biblical basis for this other than they simply believe their way is best.

Views regarding music among Christians has long been all over the board, inconsistent and even at times hypocritical.

For the most part, we would do well to tend to music in our own churches and not worry ourselves about the music in other churches. It's obvious this is an area Christians are never going to agree upon as there is no set standard, there are varieties of preferences and other considerations, and all of that comes into play before we even try to insert biblical principles.

Myself, I've left one church over music but it was because they had turned it into a show and gave it the largest block of time, not because of the songs or style.

• Moderators

So because there's almost nothing in the NT, we don't sing?  We don't use instruments?  Psalms, where we are told to praise the Lord with instruments is moot simply because it's OT?  I don't think so.  There's an awful lot in "corporate worship" that is not in the Bible.  Yes, we can call it tradition of man, but it actually only becomes that if it is anti-Bible...and praising God with instrument and voice is not.   The music would be in the same place that Sunday School, Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night services are; the same place set visitation times are; and so forth.  If we only do that which is obviously outlined in scripture, we are all wrong, because we aren't meeting daily from house to house...

Ah, you wound me-in no way was my post meant to insinuate that there should be no music or instruments. My point was, first, that church worship is far and away different from temple worship-yes, both worship the same God, but they come from very different perspectives: one from a nation that was not yet regenerated, who had a very strcit set of rules and regulations in everything from clothes to food to how one sows one's fields, etc. The music there was a continual thing-there were singers and musicians who played and sang all the time-it was their entire occupation; it wasn't just believers singing praises together. They were sort of professional musicians, not at all life we have today. we don't get how we serve God, specifically, from the Old testament, but from the New, because the examples and commands are vastly different. 

But that being said, I never meant to imply that we chould not, or should not, use music and instruments-I was just questioning how much we use. True, as I said, the Bible says nothing about using it-we have only one example out of the gospels, of them singing, and that was a single hymn mentioned after Passover supper, and in that case, there were very specific songs they sing associated with Passover. Otherwise, we never see it at all mentioned in services. This doesn't mean we don't have liberty to do so, nor that God is displeased by it-just that it has become, in many cases, far too central to services.

I totally agree that if the singing overshadows the preaching it's wrong.  But just because some churches do that doesn't mean all do.  God created us as musical beings (yes, I know - some can't sing...but they can enjoy the music) and He encourages us to praise Him with that music (again vocally and instrumentally) in the Psalms.  

Guaranteed that those who use drums in an ungodly way would know the difference between their music and godly music.  

Seriously? I mean, Seriously? All the CCM groups that sound no different than any worldly secualr rock band, they all know ther music is ungodly? If so, they don't appear to-many believe it is just fine and glorifying to God-its part of the currrent spiritual blindness going on, as we read of in Rev 3, in Laodicea.

The heathen also sing, and yet we are told to praise the Lord with song.  They use other instruments.  And yet we are told to praise the Lord with instruments.  There are a lot of things that have been used for wickedness - that does not make them intrinsically wicked.  Never said they were intrinsically wicked-in fact, I said the opposite. But what we offer to God must be considered in its associations. And drums, in particular, have a long, well-known history of dark associations.

Don't get me wrong, Uke. If you don't want to use certain instruments (or any) in your services, kudos to you!  Really and honestly.  But we have to be careful of questioning the holiness of others because they do.  Now, if they use them in a way that links them to heathenish music, yes there is a question of their holiness. But if they don't use it that way, then there oughtn't be question - especially from those who are fellow-Christians. KWIM? 

Like this  (start at about 1 minute, and watch a bit for some great drumming.

:

• Members

Brother John has read some of the same books but apparently has rejected what they had to say and the manner in which they pointed to scripture or he's like me and has an extremely poor memory because he's constantly repeating post #55 on thread after thread on this topic.

What you're asking me to do is dig those books out and start all over.  I have some here, I think, and most are in storage.  I figure the best bet for now is to dig out the list of titles and authors and provide them to you.  If I get caught up with work in the next few weeks I'll go to the storage and start reading again but my memory would require a reminder as I'm apt to forget.  It's weird coming up on seemingly new posts and discovering that I've already been there and commented!

Archived