• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches That Are Against Having Drums In The Music...

The Glory Land

• Members

I find no mention of drums in the New Testament Church in my Bible.  Are they in yours?

Only percussion instruments I find mentioned in the New Testament are 'tinkling cymbals."  "Tinkling" doesn't paint a picture of deafening music, imo.

I don't find church buses, restrooms, pews, pulpits, lights, heating and air conditioning, etc etc in the NT church in my bible either.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would agree, HC.  But, as I said, in every Church I have been in that had drums, the drummer always ended up getting rocky.  Never failed.

I been to a few where they didn't get "rocky". Or country for that matter since country music is just as bad as rock if you want to get down to it.

• Moderators

The drums keeps the beat of the music, its timing starts and ends the song. It fills in the gaps with its cymbals. Also it cover mistakes when others are off beat.  :musicboohoo:

If the drums are covering others' mistakes, than IMO they are already way too loud!

• Members

If the drums are covering others' mistakes, than IMO they are already way too loud!

Sometimes, but I also know some of the piano ladies do the same thing (helping to cover mistakes) with their piano and it's not through extra loud pianoing. :biggrin:

• Administrators

All percussion instruments "keep the beat" - including the piano, drums, hammered dulcimer, cymbals, triangle, wood block, xylaphone,  and so many more (even some reed instruments).  And if the players do their job right, they enhance rather than detract from the other instruments.

I grew up with all orchestral instruments in my life.  My violin instructor never met an instrument he couldn't play.  (He was a German Jew who escaped Hitler.) In all my years associated with orchestras, I've never heard one that emphasized the drums to the detriment of the rest of the instruments.  

Our church had a band rather than an orchestra when we first began attending.  But over the years, strings were added (which were the only component missing to make it a full orchestra).  Even then, drums were not the emphasis.

Ian - I have seen pictures of them - how do they sound?

TGL - any member who can play an instrument is welcome to play in our orchestra.  :icon_smile:

• Members

What is wrong with foot tapping?

According to Scripture there is nothing wrong with dancing either, if not performed in a sinful manner. Dancing was often a big part of Jewish worship.

Just because something flows through our emotions of "feelings" doesn't mean it's of the world. God gave us emotions and feelings, just as He gave us sexual passions, and none of them are wrong unless used in a sinful manner.

Even the tune to many hymns matches or is similar to some tunes of secular music and songs so that the hymn doesn't necessarily stand out as a Christian hymn until the words come forth.

There is little, if anything, that the world isn't or hasn't been involved with and used to one extent or another. We can't base our choices of music, or other things, simply upon whether the world has or does use or do something similar.

Something to think about.  Thanks brother.

• Members

All percussion instruments "keep the beat" - including the piano, drums, hammered dulcimer, cymbals, triangle, wood block, xylaphone,  and so many more (even some reed instruments).  And if the players do their job right, they enhance rather than detract from the other instruments.

It's a very subdued sound by western drum-kit standards.

We sang the first one "Jai, jai kaar" is the chorus on this youtube at our last fellowship meeting - I often take my Indian harmonium - I haven't got a tabla nor have I tried one - perhaps I will next time I get my hair cut - the Indian music shop where I bought my harmonium (& my mouth organ) is next door to the barber.

You can hear:

(Jai jai kaar, Jai jai kaar, toone mere leeye kiaa kuchh naa keeyaa (repeated))

Translation:

Lord your love is very great, yes your love is very great,

I was dead in all my sin & you gave new life to me,

So why should I not lift up my voice to you

I will praise, I will praise, I will praise my God who gives all things to me.

• Members

I grew up with all orchestral instruments in my life.  My violin instructor never met an instrument he couldn't play.  (He was a German Jew who escaped Hitler.) In all my years associated with orchestras, I've never heard one that emphasized the drums to the detriment of the rest of the instruments.  

Our church had a band rather than an orchestra when we first began attending.  But over the years, strings were added (which were the only component missing to make it a full orchestra).  Even then, drums were not the emphasis.

TGL - any member who can play an instrument is welcome to play in our orchestra.  :icon_smile:

Can I bring my Bongo's   :)

Archived