• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Churches That Are Against Having Drums In The Music...

The Glory Land

• Members

I am not against drums in their proper place.  In every Church I have ever attended where drums were used, the drummer would bang on the drums like he was at a rock concert..

For this reason, my stance is if anyone wants to bring drums to my Church, I probably won't allow it.

1 Corinthians 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

SFIC - come visit ours and you'll see drums used properly.  :wink

~~~~~~~~

Drums can be used to fit in with the world or to edify along with other instruments.  Again, it is the player and the music that makes the difference.

In fact, Psalm 150:4 tells us to praise God with a timbrel - which was a hand held drum.  Percussion instruments serve a purpose in the melody and rhythm of a piece.  Again, the problem comes along when the wrong type of music is played.  As John said, churches are individual and must make their own decisions. Some say yes to certain types of drums, some say no to all. That is their choice, and no sin in it as long as the music does not point to the flesh.

A full orchestra (which would necessitate drums) playing hymns is a beautiful sound.  Add a choir and the congregation singing and it is heavenly.  

• Members

From what I read, the "timbrel" was more of a tamborine than a drum, though I suppose one could call the stretched skin over it something to "drum" upon.

At any rate, it doesn't appear to be the same as the drum sets that are prevalent in many worship groups today.

Of interest, the American Tract Society states that it was mostly the women of Israel who played the timbrels.

• Moderators

The words (message) the most important part of the song (the message), if the accompaniment is equal to or overpowers the words we have a major problem.

Anytime the left hand alternating bass or arpeggio chording (rhythm, harmony/rhythm) on a piano, percussive instruments, or rhythm technique on string instruments, or organ pedal are prominent (instead of "back there somewhere"), we have a problem

• Members

Does it sound like what the world is playing?  Like CCM does?  If so, it's wrong.  Our music ought to as different to the world as our lives.  If heard on the readio, there should be no question even within the first few notes about what type of music it is, worldly/Godly.

My personal philosophy for myself is that if it makes me want to tap my foot or get up and dance around, it's worldly music.  The music is as important as lyrics.  Good lyrics with bad music is bad music.

• Administrators

From what I read, the "timbrel" was more of a tamborine than a drum, though I suppose one could call the stretched skin over it something to "drum" upon.
Yes, it is similar to a tambourine, but it isn't the same.  And drumming is what is done, even if it's only with the hand and not a stick.  A tambourine is also drummed, even though it has the addition of little "cymbals" to add a tinkling sound.  
At any rate, it doesn't appear to be the same as the drum sets that are prevalent in many worship groups today.
If we were to get technical, none of the instruments we use today are the same.  While there are similar instruments to what was played in the OT, the most are different.  But different doesn't make wrong.  I don't believe that God was naming instruments in scripture as a limit to what we can use.  Music was created by God, and instruments are used to enhance the music.
Of interest, the American Tract Society states that it was mostly the women of Israel who played the timbrels.

Just FYI - I don't have any problem at all with you not allowing drums in your church.  "Decently and in order" is quite the good reason for it, too.  Independent churches are a beautiful thing. 

• Members

Many scholars say that timbrels were not played in the Temple.

Here's one...

A musical instrument played with the fingers. It makes a jingling sound and is often used in dancing (Ex 15:20; 1Sa 10:5; Ps 81:2; Isa 5:12). The Hebrew word is TOPH. "The toph is the most ancient of this type instrument [percussion]. Gesenius says that in the East it was constructed of a thin wooden rim covered with a membrane and hung around with brass bells or rattles. It was used to accompany the sacred dance (Ex 15:20). In Ge 31:27, it is called a `tabret.' It is somewhat similar to the tambourine. It was generally played on festive occasions, but is never mentioned in connection with the services of the Temple" (Paul McCommon, Music in the Bible).

• Moderators

Does it sound like what the world is playing?  Like CCM does?  If so, it's wrong.  Our music ought to as different to the world as our lives.  If heard on the readio, there should be no question even within the first few notes about what type of music it is, worldly/Godly.

My personal philosophy for myself is that if it makes me want to tap my foot or get up and dance around, it's worldly music.  The music is as important as lyrics.  Good lyrics with bad music is bad music.

Tap my foot? I tap my foot to Amazing Grace (waltz time) and When We All Get to Heaven (march time)

• Members

If I applied that rule to myself I could allow no music or singing at all in my church.  I cannot listen to any type of music without automatically keeping time to it like tapping my toes or rocking my feet back and forth in time to the music.  It doesn't seem to matter if it is Amazing Grace or Bach or Beethoven.  Flaw in my character?  Could be, I guess.

God bless,

Larry

• Administrators

I would agree, HC.  But, as I said, in every Church I have been in that had drums, the drummer always ended up getting rocky.  Never failed.

I believe you!  I've been in a few churches where they had drums and.... :freaked:   I can say unequivocally, however, that ours doesn't.  We do have drums - we have a full orchestra.  We have been criticized for some of our music (who hasn't), but our music is really quite superb.  

Montana - I would agree to a point that tapping of the foot could indicate that the music is secular - if tapping (physical reaction) is the first response.  I, too, at times find myself tapping my foot to music that is not at all worldly.  Kinda like kids who you see in the pews who are pretending to play along with the piano or direct the singing.  :thumb:

• Members

What is wrong with foot tapping?

According to Scripture there is nothing wrong with dancing either, if not performed in a sinful manner. Dancing was often a big part of Jewish worship.

Just because something flows through our emotions of "feelings" doesn't mean it's of the world. God gave us emotions and feelings, just as He gave us sexual passions, and none of them are wrong unless used in a sinful manner.

Even the tune to many hymns matches or is similar to some tunes of secular music and songs so that the hymn doesn't necessarily stand out as a Christian hymn until the words come forth.

There is little, if anything, that the world isn't or hasn't been involved with and used to one extent or another. We can't base our choices of music, or other things, simply upon whether the world has or does use or do something similar.

Archived