• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Samuel Resurrected!

• Members

"And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul." (1 Samuel 28:12)

Does any one believe that a medium could have called Samuel back from the dead? 

It appears that the "witch of Endor" did. 

What doe you make of it?

• Members

Ukelele, I like your answer, but is it feasible that God would work through mysticism?  It would seem as if He put His approval on her methods wouldn't it?

God used the moment, not the mysticism, which was/is demonic in nature with much fakery. God brought all this together for His own purposes. He didn't work through the witch, that's why she was so surprised when Samuel appeared, it wasn't her "magic" that brought Samuel forth, it was God sending him forth to deliver a message.

• Moderators

God used the moment, not the mysticism, which was/is demonic in nature with much fakery. God brought all this together for His own purposes. He didn't work through the witch, that's why she was so surprised when Samuel appeared, it wasn't her "magic" that brought Samuel forth, it was God sending him forth to deliver a message.

Exactly-God worked IN SPITE of the mysticism, not with it.

• Members

"And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul." (1 Samuel 28:12)

Does any one believe that a medium could have called Samuel back from the dead? 

It appears that the "witch of Endor" did. 

What doe you make of it?

Brother "Irishman,"

First, 1 Samuel 28:7-8 indicates that this "witch" of Endor was a woman who had a relationship with a "familiar spirit."  According to the teaching of God's Word throughout, this "familiar spirit" would have been some angelic being of unrighteousness.  Thus in her normal practice, she would have engaged with this "familiar spirit" for information, not with any spirit of one among the human dead.  (Note: I do not believe that the spirits of human dead can be brought back by the power of the devil.  When a human dies, his or her spirit immediately enters hell's judgment or heaven's glory.  The devil could only remove the spirit one among the human dead from either of these places through the permission of God, and God would not grant that permission.)

Second, there is no indication in the account of 1 Samuel 28:11-12 that this "witch" actually exerted herself to call up Samuel.  Rather, these verses seem to indicate that as soosn as King Saul made his request, the "witch," in spite of herself, observed the appearance of Samuel.

Third, this "witch" did not actually expect to see the spirit of Samuel.  Thus she was fearfully surprised when he appeared before her.  Rather, what she expected, as was normal with her practice, was to engage with her "familiar spirit."  Yet her "familiar spirit" is not the one who appeared before her.  Rather, Samuel actually did appear before her.  eeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Fourth, I do not believe that Samuel actually was rasied from the dead.  Rather, I would contend that only Samuel's spirit appeared in that moment.  Thus I would further contend, not that the "witch" called Samuel up, but that God sent him forth in order to deliver one lase pronouncement of judgment upon King Saul.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

My comments made in previous threads along with the points I brought up are in my view decisive on this issue -- even if there were some truth to the objections that some report. As it is, there is in fact very little of substance to these objections listed by those who wrongly interpret this passage: 

Angels imitating angels does not equal angels imitating human beings;  the latter is unprecedented for fallen angels in scripture, and would seem to fall outside of either their capability or what they are allowed by God to do. This is contrary to use the arguement that a demon or fallen angel is disguising himself as the prophet Samuel.

Elijah and Moses will return from the dead; after the crucifixion many were revived; Lazarus and the widow of Nain's son were raised by Jesus; and there is ample evidence to show that after we depart this earth we are most definitely */not/* asleep or unconscious (cf. Lk.16:19-31; 2Cor.5:3 [in Greek]; Rev.6:9-11; 7:9-17). As I discern, the false doctrine of "soul sleep" is a dangerous heresy and entirely untrue.

As pointed out, an evil spirit could not know the future; and as I point out, */the Bible/* calls this person "Samuel". The text is clear, Saul talks to Samuel and /Samuel/* talks to Saul (1Sam.28:15; 28:16; 28:20); the Bible calls the apparition "Samuel" (1Sam.28:12; 20:14). There is no getting around these facts -- for those who pay close heed to scripture. Saul had already turned aside to follow Satan, and his descent into apostasy climaxes with this visit to a demon-possessed woman; however, God turned the tables on all his expectations and did provide an interview with Samuel -- to prophesy Saul's death and the death of his sons (something about which no demon or evil spirit could have any clear idea, since they do not know the future any more than any other creature, apart from what God reveals).

God Bless!