• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are You A Backsliding Christian And Are You Saved?

The Glory Land

• Members

beameup, on 01 Oct 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:snapback.png

"Backsliding" applies to Israelites, it is not even found in the New Testament . . .

Scott:

Brother "Beameup,"

How exactly would you define the word "backsliding" in relation to an Old Testament Israelite believer?

That is the point - Israel as a people are accused by the LORD of backsliding. AFAIK the term is not used of individual Israelite believers. The nation repeatedly turned away from the LORD, sometimes led by corrupt leaders, & sometimes by the grumbling. Sometimes godly leaders called them back, as Moses & Gideon, but eventually corrupt leaders refused to listen to the prophets of God, & led the nation to ruin.

We can find such individuals - Samson, Eli, David, Solomon, but we read of their repentance.

• Members

That is the point - Israel as a people are accused by the LORD of backsliding. AFAIK the term is not used of individual Israelite believers.

Yet Proverbs 14:14 applies the Biblical idea and doctrine of "backsliding" to individuals --

"The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself."

• Members

Yet Proverbs 14:14 applies the Biblical idea and doctrine of "backsliding" to individuals --

"The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself."

OK - but do we need a"doctrine" of backsliding. Repentance is open to returning sinners, including those who have backslidden from a position of both a nominal faith & a true faith. We can't tell the difference - we must assume a backslider is LOST & must repent. Saved backsliders will repent.

• Members

OK - but do we need a"doctrine" of backsliding.

Brother "Covenanter,"

In answer to your question, I would contend that, yes, any doctrine (teaching) that is presented within God's Holy Word is a doctrine (teaching) that the Lord our God Himself has determined that we need.  Furthermore, I would contend that the better question would be whether our understanding concerning this "doctrine of backsliding" is actually in accord with the teaching of God's Word on the matter, or is in contradiction to the teaching of God's Word on the matter.  Indeed, we should be seeking to understand the very teaching of God's own Word concerning the definition of "backsliding," the motivation for "backsliding," the consequences of "backsliding," the solution to "backsliding" (if any), the work of God in this solution to "backsliding," the responsibility that is set before us in this solution to "backsliding," the results if we fulfill our responsibility in this solution to "backsliding," etc.

Finally, without seeking to be overly abrasive, I would contend that you yourself already possess a "doctrine of backsliding" and that you have actually proceeded to teach it on this very thread.  Indeed, the points that you have presented concerning your "doctrine of backsliding" have included the following:

Repentance is open to returning sinners, including those who have backslidden from a position of both a nominal faith & a true faith. We can't tell the difference - we must assume a backslider is LOST & must repent. Saved backsliders will repent.

1.  "Backsliding" is possible from a position of both a nominal faith and a true faith.

2.  The solution to "backsliding" requires Biblical repentance on the part of the "backslider."

3.  When we observe the "backsliding" of another, it is impossible for us to discern the difference between the "backsliding" from a position of a nominal faith and the "backsliding" from a position of a true faith.

4.  Because it is impossible for us to discern this difference, we are Biblically compelled to view all "backsliders" as being spiritually lost in their trespasses and sins.

5.  "Backsliders" from a position of a true faith will certainly repent at some point in time.

Now, I myself, in my understanding concerning "the doctrine of backsliding," would have disagreement with you concerning some elements of points #1, #3, #4, & #5.

• Members

As a former backslider, I agree with most of the statements presented on this thread; Although I would be under conviction for other statements that have been made.

I was a backslider for thirty years.

I tried many times to come out of my backsliding condition, without success.

In all the thirty years of my backsliding I never once thought I wasn't save.

Its only when I came back to the Lord three and a half years ago, that I started have struggles with assurance of Salvation.  

• Members

beameup, on 01 Oct 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:snapback.png

That is the point - Israel as a people are accused by the LORD of backsliding. AFAIK the term is not used of individual Israelite believers. The nation repeatedly turned away from the LORD, sometimes led by corrupt leaders, & sometimes by the grumbling. Sometimes godly leaders called them back, as Moses & Gideon, but eventually corrupt leaders refused to listen to the prophets of God, & led the nation to ruin.

We can find such individuals - Samson, Eli, David, Solomon, but we read of their repentance.

Most born again Christians never learn how to "walk in the Spirit".  They are sealed with the H.S. but still "walk in the flesh".

If they remain in a church in that state, they become judgemental (Pharisaical), or if they feel powerless, they leave the church.

"Backsliding" refers to the nation of Israel.  Their greatest sin of backsliding was to reject their Messiah almost 2,000 years ago.

• Members

Most born again Christians never learn how to "walk in the Spirit". They are sealed with the H.S. but still "walk in the flesh".
If they remain in a church in that state, they become judgemental (Pharisaical), or if they feel powerless, they leave the church.

"Backsliding" refers to the nation of Israel. Their greatest sin of backsliding was to reject their Messiah almost 2,000 years ago.

Are they Israel, back slidding today or only 2,000 years ago?

• Members

Are they Israel, back slidding today or only 2,000 years ago?

Israel is "on the map", but they won't be the central focus of God's attention again until the Church is removed from the earth.

At the end of the Great Tribulation, and the Holocaust of the AntiChrist, the small remnant of Israel left, will finally repent and 

"call upon the name of the Lord (Jesus)", which will precipitate the return of Christ to the earth, to Jerusalem, to bring world peace and set up his Throne.

• Members

Israel is "on the map", but they won't be the central focus of God's attention again until the Church is removed from the earth.

At the end of the Great Tribulation, and the Holocaust of the AntiChrist, the small remnant of Israel left, will finally repent and 

"call upon the name of the Lord (Jesus)", which will precipitate the return of Christ to the earth, to Jerusalem, to bring world peace and set up his Throne.

They are still back slidding today and still lost right?

• Members

They are still back slidding today and still lost right?

For I would not, brethren, that ye [Gentiles] should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits;
that blindness in part [a few Jews are saved in the Church] is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
Romans 11:25-26

Archived