• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Worst Preacher In History

MountainChristian

• Members

2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

If the people who say this means Noah was preaching 120 years while he was building the ark, he had NO converts. Only his family was saved. No one believed him.

At my church it is harder and harder to see someone saved. Only two or three per year. One year we only had one saved. The lost here do not want to hear about Jesus. They have heard about him over and over until they are tired of it. Sometimes people are hostile verbally. Some of them say they are saved and their lives are full of evil deeds and talk. Just as bad or worse than fools who don't believe in God.

Its breaking my heart to know all these people are going to hell. Often times while witnesses about Jesus the savior I can feel the Holy Spirit pulling them to the Messiah, yet they turn him away. A piece of me seems to be vexed each time this happens. As Christians are we going to be vexed like Lot in Sodom? Is no one going to listen to us like they didn't listen to Lot? Genesis 19:14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Is this another sign of the end times? (Luke 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.) No one listened to him, and fewer and fewer listen to us.

I know this is discouraging but I would like to hear what you guys think.

• Moderators

2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

If the people who say this means Noah was preaching 120 years while he was building the ark, he had NO converts. Only his family was saved. No one believed him.

At my church it is harder and harder to see someone saved. Only two or three per year. One year we only had one saved. The lost here do not want to hear about Jesus. They have heard about him over and over until they are tired of it. Sometimes people are hostile verbally. Some of them say they are saved and their lives are full of evil deeds and talk. Just as bad or worse than fools who don't believe in God.

Its breaking my heart to know all these people are going to hell. Often times while witnesses about Jesus the savior I can feel the Holy Spirit pulling them to the Messiah, yet they turn him away. A piece of me seems to be vexed each time this happens. As Christians are we going to be vexed like Lot in Sodom? Is no one going to listen to us like they didn't listen to Lot? Genesis 19:14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Is this another sign of the end times? (Luke 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.) No one listened to him, and fewer and fewer listen to us.

As you point out, the Bible does say it will be as in the days of Noah-hard hearts, everyone seeking after their own ways, so no surprise that few seem interested in hearing the gospel. I have not seen anyone saved through our ministry in about three years, so I know what you mean. Still. like Noah, or Jeremiah, who had no one listen save maybe his scribe, Baruch, for a 40 year ministry, we keep doing what is right, in obedience to the Lord, and let Him decide when we finish. We are sent to preach-there is no promise anyone will listen.

• Members

Jeremiah is another example of an end time preacher. He had one recorded convert, a black Ethiopian eunuch. So he was an "out-of-towner". Maybe Baruch was a convert of his also but the scripture doesn't say.

So a study of Jeremiah may be good for a minister in a fruitless area.

• Members

As it was in the days of Noah

AND

As it was in the days of Lot....Lot did not have any converts either, not even his wife, daughters, or sons-in-law

Jeremiah is one of my favorite characters in the Bible, and he too ministered in what would be similar to the last days, preaching just before the judgment of God fell on Judah. 

He did have some converts, or listeners though.

Josiah lived during his ministry.

Jehoichin did what he said to do, and surrendered to Nebuchadnezzar.  In the end, Jehoiachin ended up being exalted by Neb. (see Jer. 52).  Also, Daniel knew that Jeremiah had prophesied a 70 year captivity.  So while his fruit was meager, people did listen, but the Nation as a whole did not repent.

The man who mystifies me the most is Zedekiah.  Not only did Jeremiah prophesy publicly during Zedekiah's reign, but Zedekiah personally met with him, and Jeremiah told him not to be afraid of the men around him, and to obey God....he did NOT, and it cost him the lives of his own sons, as well as his eyesight....tragic.

• Members

If I were the one that was the ONLY one saved that year, isn't ALL the effort worth it? If I were that ONE I'd definitely be most grateful! Rejoice in the one, two or three who are now saved rather than lamenting it isn't more. It isn't a contest to see which church helps lead the most people to Christ. Remember that Christ still died even if it was for just the ONE!

• Members

Things are the same around here. This is a very rural, low population area, with churches all over, yet with relatively few biblical Christians. Most around here consider themselves to be Christians, to one extent or another, and are not interested in hearing the Gospel yet again. Many become upset at the idea someone might be questioning whether or not they are a Christian, after all, they are just as good as others!

Those who don't lay claim to being a Christian have heard it all before...time and time again, and they are antagonistic to hearing it yet again.

Our church only adds a few new members each year now. Some of those are new in Christ, but some are transfers.  

• Members

Some of the younger people, in their early 20's, whom I've witnessed to, have been so brain washed by the liberal thinking of their public school indoctrination; Have gone already over to atheism. Atheism has ruined them, and given them a way out, or so they think. 

I believe that humanism, atheism and the like, have given a lot of people another gospel.

• Members

I believe that humanism, atheism and the like, have given a lot of people another gospel.

It is another religion or religions.  It believes in collective salvation (what that reward is is usually reincarnation), good works to get there and sin (those who violate the latest environmental causes).

Works, works, works equals eternal hell.

• Members

It is another religion or religions.  It believes in collective salvation (what that reward is is usually reincarnation), good works to get there and sin (those who violate the latest environmental causes).

Works, works, works equals eternal hell.

I never look at it that way before, that is in thinking of it as a religion, perhaps even a distorted religion of sorts; distorted from biblical standards or  biblical definition of religion.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I never look at it that way before, that is in thinking of it as a religion, perhaps even a distorted religion of sorts; distorted from biblical standards or  biblical definition of religion.  

Of course atheism is a religion.  We believe and trust in God, they believe and trust in no god.  

There are what I call active atheists, those who actively oppose any mention of God, an the passive atheists, those who have always been taught it.  Not only through school but through radio and TV progs.   There were some lads casuing a bit of disturbance in our car park during one of our services and I went out to speak to them.  One said "I am an atheist."  I said, "Oh, and what is that?"  He said "I have no idea."   A little later he said "What is it then?"  He was what I would call a passive atheist.  Dawkins is an active atheist.  Another passive atheist was a lad where I worked.  I gave him a tract on Evolution and creation and he said "I didn't realize there was an alternative."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived