• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disgusted With The Local Churches In Our Area

Pastorj

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The home church movement is not just believers meeting in homes. As stated, I don't have an issue with a church meeting in a home. The home church movement denies the authority of the local church and puts the father as the "pastor". They then dare other families into their meeting and typically rotate amongst the families.

This is completely against the New Testament church

• Members

The home church movement is not just believers meeting in homes. As stated, I don't have an issue with a church meeting in a home. The home church movement denies the authority of the local church and puts the father as the "pastor". They then dare other families into their meeting and typically rotate amongst the families.

This is completely against the New Testament church

I agree that they should ultimately look to getting a pastor. Maybe even choosing one among themselves which I've heard happening before. I'm not sure what you mean by rotating among families. Do you mean meeting in different homes? If so, I don't have a problem with that. If you mean each family takes turns at being "pastor" of the church then, yes, I say it is unbiblical. Here in America the goal should be to eventually find a neutral place to worship at and finding a pastor to head the church. But not every part of America (or the world) is like the southern USA where you have church next to church next to church with more churches coming and pastors essentially doing nothing but stealing members from one another. I've lived in areas where there are no pastors available and none will come (Upstate, NY). Many pastors won't leave their comfort zone. I attended a church that didn't have a pastor for nearly two years and couldn't get anyone to take the pastorate because many preachers would rather plant a church or take one over in an area where there are already numerous IFB churches in town. 

Also, in many countries where there is persecution or there may not be any ordained pastors in the area they may have no choice but to be "completely against the New Testament church" in their methods.

• Members

It's not only in southern states where there's lots of churches, my small town probably has 12 churches. The largest is of course, catholic then the Methodist, then the non-denominational churches (rock bands, etc.). Ours is the only Baptist church in town and ours is very small, but we have a pastor who preaches the Word, KJV only.

• Members

One of my wife's first cousin & his wife goes to church by going into their living room just prior to 11:00 AM turning the TV to a TV preachers setting down for one hour listening to him, & when the hour is up changing channels & or getting up going about life. That is according to what he stated.

• Members

One of my wife's first cousin & his wife goes to church by going into their living room just prior to 11:00 AM turning the TV to a TV preachers setting down for one hour listening to him, & when the hour is up changing channels & or getting up going about life. That is according to what he stated.

That's sad.

• Members

It's not only in southern states where there's lots of churches, my small town probably has 12 churches. The largest is of course, catholic then the Methodist, then the non-denominational churches (rock bands, etc.). Ours is the only Baptist church in town and ours is very small, but we have a pastor who preaches the Word, KJV only.

I'm talking about churches worth going to. There are plenty of apostate churches up North and out in the Northwest. But I'd tell someone to stay home and stream a live service from a bible believing church over the internet before I'd recommend going to one of those churches.

Upstate, NY is a barren wasteland when it comes to IFB churches. You can find some Regular Baptists here and there. But they're pretty dead.  Western, NY is a little better, especially in the Rochester area. Dr. George Grace (KJVO) has a large church in that area. You have Pastor Dunbar in Auburn, NY and Temple Baptist outside of Syracuse. One small church in Syracuse that I attended for a short time. This church was made up of nothing but men from the ages of 21-45. Anytime one of the men got married his wife would want to go to a church that had more fun activities going on.  There was a KJV church in Utica, NY but the pastor just up and left one day without any warning. One in Rome, NY that had a split over the issue of the KJV.  But you go through Madison, Oneida and Chenango counties and there are no churches except a small one a friend of mine just planted in Oriskany Falls, NY. His church is growing rapidly too. They're already moving from a store front to a regular building within one year's time. The people want something up there but nobody is going. 

• Members

I'm talking about churches worth going to. There are plenty of apostate churches up North and out in the Northwest. But I'd tell someone to stay home and stream a live service from a bible believing church over the internet before I'd recommend going to one of those churches.

Upstate, NY is a barren wasteland when it comes to IFB churches. You can find some Regular Baptists here and there. But they're pretty dead.  Western, NY is a little better, especially in the Rochester area. Dr. George Grace (KJVO) has a large church in that area. You have Pastor Dunbar in Auburn, NY and Temple Baptist outside of Syracuse. One small church in Syracuse that I attended for a short time. This church was made up of nothing but men from the ages of 21-45. Anytime one of the men got married his wife would want to go to a church that had more fun activities going on.  There was a KJV church in Utica, NY but the pastor just up and left one day without any warning. One in Rome, NY that had a split over the issue of the KJV.  But you go through Madison, Oneida and Chenango counties and there are no churches except a small one a friend of mine just planted in Oriskany Falls, NY. His church is growing rapidly too. They're already moving from a store front to a regular building within one year's time. The people want something up there but nobody is going. 

How about Martville? Are you near there? Emmanuel Bible Baptist. Chitinango has a  good little church called North Madison. There is another guy in Rochester, can´t remember his name though. Where do you go? Sounds like you live in upstate NY.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

How about Martville? Are you near there? Emmanuel Bible Baptist. Chitinango has a  good little church called North Madison. There is another guy in Rochester, can´t remember his name though. Where do you go? Sounds like you live in upstate NY.

God bless,

calvary

I'm from Upstate, NY but don't live there anymore. Not sure where Martville is but Chittenago wasn't too far away from where I lived. If I remember there was a guy from PBI that just started a church somewhere in that area around the time I left the state. I think in Cazenovia, NY. I'm sure that there were some small churches around that I missed but, believe you me, I looked around a lot. I even wrote a few pastors out of state if they knew of any churches in the area. Greg Estep out in Ohio sent me a big list but the closest church was 75 miles away. This was all before the internet really took off. Maybe now it would be easier to find a church to attend. But there still isn't much of a witness up there. Honestly, I think because of the long, harsh winters a lot of pastors don't want to mess with the area.

• Members

I'm from Upstate, NY but don't live there anymore. Not sure where Martville is but Chittenago wasn't too far away from where I lived. If I remember there was a guy from PBI that just started a church somewhere in that area around the time I left the state. I think in Cazenovia, NY. I'm sure that there were some small churches around that I missed but, believe you me, I looked around a lot. I even wrote a few pastors out of state if they knew of any churches in the area. Greg Estep out in Ohio sent me a big list but the closest church was 75 miles away. This was all before the internet really took off. Maybe now it would be easier to find a church to attend. But there still isn't much of a witness up there. Honestly, I think because of the long, harsh winters a lot of pastors don't want to mess with the ar

Yeah I spent the end of Oct thru the end of Nov in 2009 preaching in about 20 churches all upstate NY, brrrrrr!!!  Most were BBF sort of guys, but there are some good Bible believers up there. Martville is right outside of Oswego it´s not a big church, runs about 150 or so, but great pastor Bryant Lagoe. In fact I will be there again this November for the Missions Conf.

You´re right though, its a lots of small towns up there, cold winter, but I really enjoyed my time there.

Brother Ashton Nelson is in Chittenango, he isn´t PBI grad, nice man, great heart for souls. He did not start the work there, maybe he took over for the other guy. Another guy up in Watertown, named Stewart. We had a blessed time in his home.

Anyways, I had a great time in NY and looking forward to going back to visit.

God bless,

calvary

Archived