• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disgusted With The Local Churches In Our Area

Pastorj

• Members

We have no visited 10 "Independent" Baptist Churches in the area we moved to (Troutman, NC).

1 Pastor preached completely Topical and wasn't awful, but he used passages completely out of context to prove his point.

9 Pastors "Yelled" for anywhere from 30 min to 90 minutes saying absolutely nothing, but called it "Old Fashion" Preaching. Some even jumped up on the communion table to continue preaching.

1 church used Looney toons to teach the children to sing "this little light of mine" and other children's songs. They also used video's to teach Jr. Church.

No wonder our Independent Baptist churches are dying.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SFIC - Not going to argue with you on this one. I don't agree with a Home church. I have no problem with a church meeting in a home, but that is not a "Home" church.

Swathdriver - If a young man wants to plant a church, I would be happy to assist, but I am out of the ministry right now and do not feel the Lord leading to plant a church.

• Members

Am 8:11 ¶ Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
Am 8:12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.

That is where the United States is today.  We are not always going to be able to find a good church in every location like we could have maybe 50 years ago.  I had the same problem when we moved to Topeka, KS in 2004.  I ended up having to drive 90 miles one way to get to a good church. 

I highly recommend to people now that before they move, they had better see if there is a good, quality, Bible Believing church in the area they are considering moving to.  If not, then I advise to look elsewhere, or stay put.

• Members

Pastor J, why a young man?  Maybe there's an older fella, like Preacher Jerry whom the Lord called later in life?  

There was no sound church in my area so we moved 66 miles north.  Being a member of a sound New Testament Church is more important than money, jobs, housing, etc.

• Members

We faced the same thing the last time we had to look for a new church home. Maybe I was just naïve but I expected I would only have to visit maybe two or three churches, find they were all good and then pray for the Lord's guidance as to which one to attend. Well, that didn't happen! It turned out to be a long and disappointing time.

In one church I had heard good things about the pastor started his sermon with Scripture (good beginning!), said a couple things about what he read (which took 2 minutes tops) and then went into story telling. The stories wound all over and didn't enhance the text, but just seemed to be random stories strung together. Finally, after about 45 minutes, the pastor walked back to the pulpit, read the Scripture text again, made a couple short comments and the sermon was over.

Another IFB church began with some piano playing softly as the congregation gathered. Someone took the platform and said "let us stand and worship". Then my ears almost exploded as pounding music came blaring from speakers I hadn't even noticed before.

Another had dropped the KJB for the NASB while another chose to switch to the NIV.

I knew some churches had gone a bad direction but I didn't realize just how many and had no idea so many in this area had done so.

I pray the Lord will show you the way to go.

Archived