• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reformers Unanimous

• Members

All very good words here. I looked at them-the basic starter kit I would have to purchase is over $900.00. I think I won't be doing this.

I suppose I will just look into maybe doing a common-sense, Bible-based program, so to speak. Its a shame everyone thinks they need some sort of long-term, semi-secular program. I think many of the prpograms, even AA, have some good aspects to them-the best being, I think, having someone to be responsible to, and that you can call anytime day or night when temptation comes-a calling.

And for those who really think a Christian can't fall to alcohol or some other sin, remember, we are all subject to falling to temptation, and the more we think we can't., the better the chances we will. I have had my problems as a Christian with alcohol and some other issues I won't speak of here. Yes, the Lord has delivered me, but I am still human and a sinner in my fleshly nature.

I often tell our church your welcome to call me at any time you may need me, whether its 12 noon or 12 midnight, I will come to you & set & talk with you, or just listen, cry with you, or laugh with you & or try to help you with any problem that might arise.

• Members

"Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." Galations 6:2

"Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others." Philippians 2:4

In that day we will have to bear our own burdens, yet during this time we are to, Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. While considering one another to provoke unto love and to good works.

• Members

I have been in two churches with RU.

Here is my take:

1. It is a very good discipleship program that gets people who are struggling with addictions.

2. It is not an addictions program, it is a discipleship - I know it sounds like a contradiction to pt 1, but here is my point. If the church promotes it as a discipleship program, then they are accurately doing so. It is Bible-Centered and will help people because of it. However, it is promoted as an addictions program, which it is not. The staff are not trained to handle people with addictions. In all the churches I know that have it, it is run by a lay person who has no biblical training for counseling with the Word of God.

3. It is not necessary if a church has a Sunday School program that is actually discipling people instead of giving simply an opportunity to just socialize or get "connected" to the church. Our churches are dying because preaching and SS teaching are completely garbage.

Overall - I would not have a Friday night program, but I have used their material.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Y'all ask about RU. I went there for about 22 months. While I can't personally speak to the financial cost, they were founded as a reaction against AA-type programs. On the surface, RU points at addictions, but then they go deeper, to the spiritual need. Whether the problem is drink, drugs, or something else, it is not talked about - only the student's relationship to Christ. 

The local chapters meet on Friday nights because that is the only time someone in bondage has any money in his pocket. It is extremely liberating to wake up on Saturday morning with 100% of your paycheck in your own pocket. Because of that, other evenings are not as successful. 

Their success rate six months out of the program is over 80%. AA has a success rate on day of completion of around 9%. I think numbers should count for something here. Would I do it again? Probably not for myself, but I would definitely recommend the program for others.