• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should I Be A Channel?

Donald

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, my voice is there. But you are overlooking one important fact...

Those discussions are closed. If Donald wants to dialog, he has not the opportunity.

Here, he can. Don't ruin it.

Right, I said that...he can read the previous discussions, and if he has questions, he can ask them here....just trying to save a step...

• Members

OK, thanks for the link....

As for Baptist Confessions, I think that is more of a carry-over from the Protestant Reformation.  Baptists did not have "confessions of faith" until much later in Church History - like the 1600's, 1700's etc.  I don't put too much stock in them personally.   A statement of faith by an individual Baptist church is much different than an Associational "Confession of Faith" - like the Philadelphia confession, the New Hampshire confession, etc. 

I'll take a look at that link later...thanks again.

• Members

John Harvey Grime's book is now out of publication, I believe.

But you can read an excerpt of it at http://slaveoftheword.blogspot.com/search?q=Grime

John Theodore Mueller (Lutheran; 1934)

“With respect to the tithe which God enjoined upon the Jews in the Old Testament, Lev. 27,30, we must remember, on the one hand, that also this provision belonged to the Ceremonial Law, which has been abolished by Christ, Col. 2, 16.17, so that it is no longer binding upon Christians in the New Testament; on the other hand, however, the abolition of the law of tithing must not be abused by Christians in the interest of neglecting liberal giving, since also in the New Testament God exhorts His saints to give continually and liberally, 2 Cor. 9,6.7.”

Is this a battle of a word?  I read the link you provided.  It was interesting.  That first guy gave 10 reasons not to tithe, I wish he had put Scripture with it.  This Mueller fella talks against tithing but than says to give liberaly.  It sounds like he believes you shouldn't give 10% because of some law but that you should give a whole lot more than 10% and call it "liberal" giving.  Is this what he is saying?

• Members

The Slave of the Word blog belongs to David Croteau.  Here is some info about him.

David Croteau will be a Professor of New Testament and Greek at Columbia International University Seminary and School of Ministry in Columbia, SC, starting in the Fall of 2013. Previously he taught at Liberty University in the undergraduate program for 7 years. David completed his Ph.D. at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, studying under Dr. Andreas Kostenberger. He has recently published Tithing After the Cross, Perspectives on Tithing, and You Mean I Don't Have to Tithe?. David is  currently under contract for a new project: Urban Legends of the New Testament.

• Members

John Theodore Mueller (Lutheran; 1934)

“With respect to the tithe which God enjoined upon the Jews in the Old Testament, Lev. 27,30, we must remember, on the one hand, that also this provision belonged to the Ceremonial Law, which has been abolished by Christ, Col. 2, 16.17, so that it is no longer binding upon Christians in the New Testament; on the other hand, however, the abolition of the law of tithing must not be abused by Christians in the interest of neglecting liberal giving, since also in the New Testament God exhorts His saints to give continually and liberally, 2 Cor. 9,6.7.”

Is this a battle of a word?  I read the link you provided.  It was interesting.  That first guy gave 10 reasons not to tithe, I wish he had put Scripture with it.  This Mueller fella talks against tithing but than says to give liberaly.  It sounds like he believes you shouldn't give 10% because of some law but that you should give a whole lot more than 10% and call it "liberal" giving.  Is this what he is saying?

robmac, I think that is what Mueller was trying to convey; that the Christian should be willing to give over and above what the Old Testament Jews were required to give.

• Members

robmac, I think that is what Mueller was trying to convey; that the Christian should be willing to give over and above what the Old Testament Jews were required to give.

Ok, thanks.  that is what I was reading into it ans wasn't sure if that was his point.

• Members

robmac and steve, I would encourage you both to check out books you can download on tithing at archive.org.  When you do a search on tithes there, it returns many interesting hits.  And you can either read the books online or download them in many formats.

That is how I get most of my historical texts.

• Members

robmac and steve, I would encourage you both to check out books you can download on tithing at archive.org.  When you do a search on tithes there, it returns many interesting hits.  And you can either read the books online or download them in many formats.

That is how I get most of my historical texts.

thanks, i'll check it out.

are you "boldproclaimer"?

Archived