• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should I Be A Channel?

Donald

• Members

Lots of accusations with no examples. No matter. For what it's worth, I used to agree with you position until I started really studying my Bible (not to say you don't, but that was my turning point).

Good for you for sticking with your favored method of interpretation in the face of any and all opposition. Enjoy your non-tithing worship. I'll worship with my tithe.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where does the Bible say that Jesus did away with the tithe?  Chapter and verse please (two can play this game)

Tithe of livestock changed to money?  Deut. 14:24-26 (especially 24)

Where do I get a "perpetual" tithe?  Deut. 14:23

deut. 14:23  And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

Always means forever, which is perpetual.

• Members

Where does the Bible say that Jesus did away with the tithe?  Chapter and verse please (two can play this game)

Tithe of livestock changed to money?  Deut. 14:24-26 (especially 24)

Where do I get a "perpetual" tithe?  Deut. 14:23

deut. 14:23  And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

Always means forever, which is perpetual.

1.  Ephesians 2:14-15; Colossians 2:14; Hebrews 7:18... the tithe (one of the ordinances) abolished by Jesus along with all of the ordinances, nailed to the cross and disannulled.

2.  The money was not the tithe and had to be used to buy back the tithe so that the Israelite and his family could eat the tithe.  EAT THE TITHE.

3.  That does not say the tithe was perpetual.  It said the fear of the LORD was to be always.  If it was perpetual, then again, that which would be titheable today would be that tithe which you say was perpetual... a tithe that is edible... not money.

abolished means done away with

• Members

Awww, and here I thought you said you were done with this conversation...

That's mature. I'm certainly done with the debate on tithing. I reserve the prerogative respond to denigration and bad logic/arguments, though I can see that's going to be a futile effort as well.

• Members

A popular teaching in the IFB Churches that I have been in, is the idea that the Lord wants us to be channels of money...
“When ever we receive unexpected money, we are to simply hold on to it and wait for the Lord to tell us who He wants us to give it to.”

The result of being a good channel(we are told), is it proves to the Lord that you can be trusted with more and more money; Never using any of it for yourself but always giving it to others.

Now this does sound appealing, but is it Scriptural?
------------------------     
I personally know a pastor who practices it, yet regularly talks about the areas of “need” in his life and his family’s life.
I can’t help but think that maybe the Lord’s intent, for some of this money that he gets, is to take care of him and his family’s needs.

Note: Just so you know, this has nothing to do with our tithe.  This is taught to be over and above our tithe.
------------------------
Can anybody give me some “Scripture” about being a channel, that I may be overlooking.

Proverbs 21:20

20There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.

Did you ever consider that you may be the one God wants to have the money.

• Members

The Scripture you have offered, you have had to twist into suppositions.

The Bible is not a book of suppositions. It is a book of absolutes.

You have consistently taken New Testament verses out of context to try to prove your monetary tithe doctrine.

The facts remain, the apostles never taught a monetary tithe. The first eighteen centuries after the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, the Christian Church never taught a monetary tithe. It was not until 1873 A.D. That the Protestant Churches began teaching the monetary tithe. It would be some fifty years after that before the Baptists began teaching the monetary tithe.

Who first taught the monetary tithe? The Roman Catholic Religious System in 777 A.D..

You are embracing and teaching a Catholic doctrine... POPERY!

I'll just stick to what the Bible reveals and to solid Christian doctrine. God abolished the tithe through His Son Jesus Christ.

Oh boy...just when I thought I had heard it all..... :icon_rolleyes:

:wow:

• Members

Prove me wrong, Steve. Show me in the Bible where the Church was instructed to tithe money.
Show me in History where it was the Church that taught the monetary tithe before the Roman Catholics began teaching it in 777 A.D..

Irishman tried to show tithing in the New Testament epistles, but failed miserably, taking verses out of context.

So, here's your chance to prove the monetary tithe doctrine is not popery.

Archived