• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should I Be A Channel?

Donald

• Members

What does Scripture say about God's Holy tithe? 

Well, for one, it was not money. (Deut. 14:22-27)  (if it was money, why sell it for money and then buy it back?)

It was food and livestock (Lev. 27:30-33; Deut. 12:17; Deut. 14:22, 23, 28; Deut 26:12; Neh. 10:37; Neh. 13:5,12; Mal. 3:10; Matt. 23:23; Lu. 11:42)

It was for the children of Israel, not other nations (Lev. 27:34)

It was to be given to the Levites (Num. 18:24,26; Neh. 10:38 )

It was an ordinance (Mal 3:7)

It was abolished by Jesus Christ Himself (Eph 2:14-15; Col. 2:14; Heb 7:18)

It was never taught by the Apostles... probably because of the fact that it had been abolished by Jesus Christ.

Yes, Abram did tithe before the Law. (Ge. 14:20 )  But what the Bible says He tithed was not even his own property. (Heb. 7:4)  He promised God he would not keep any of the spoils for himself lest he give Bera occasion to say he had made Abram rich. (Ge. 14:22-24)

The Apostle Peter attested that those who teach the tithe (a part of the Mosaic Law) are tempting God (Acts 15:10 )

The Apostle taught that those who tithe (putting themselves under the Law from which all had been freed) are under a curse if they don't keep ALL the Law (Gal. 3:10 )

The Bible has much to say concerning the tithe, if only people would open their Bibles and study it out.

:hide:

:runforhills:

:reaction:

:beatdeadhorse:

Here we go again!!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Donald did say he was open to hear what the Bible says about tithing. 

Why is it preachers act so shocked when truths about tithing are presented?

That is not the point Ron, the point is that this topic keeps getting rehashed over and again....personally, I am quite tired of the hobby horse riding...nothing personal...

In Christ,

• Members

That is not the point Ron, the point is that this topic keeps getting rehashed over and again....personally, I am quite tired of the hobby horse riding...nothing personal...

In Christ,

The fact remains, Steve.  As you have demonstrated.

Preachers should be overjoyed any time the Scriptures are presented, whether they are presented once a year, once a month, or once a day.

Yet, when someone presents the truths concerning tithes, those who teach the monetary tithe (a tithe that God never authorized) don't want to hear it again.  As a preacher, you should be ecstatic that another preacher is sharing what the Word of God says concerning any subject. 

I did not interject anything in my post that contradicts what the Scripture clearly says.  Anyone who desires to research the tithe can look up the Scripture references I provided and see that I have not contradicted them at all. 

There are only 32 instances where the words "tithe," "tithes," and "tithing" appear in the KJV  Not that many to research and study for those who want to know what God's Word says concerning the subject. 

• Members

Hello Steve

Thanks for the link........
http://www.onlinebap.../15472-tithing/

But I was very surprised(and disappointed), after looking over all 45 posts on this thread, and all I saw was “opinion”, after “opinion”, after “opinion”, after “opinion”, after “opinion” etc,...
I NEVER saw EVEN ONE SCRIPTURE REFERENCE, with the exception of one vague reference to Matthew 18:, ??
------------------------
I sited two SCRIPTURES and Standing Firm In Christ, responded with a handful of SCRIPTURE references.....
This is how Christians are to get to the bottom of any issue!
--------------------------------------------------  

Hello Standing Firm In Christ

Thank you for your response: You said and referenced.....
“Well, for one, it was not money.”
“Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.”   Deuteronomy 14:22

This could be because “money” was scarce.  So they tithed with what they had.
------------------------
You also said and referenced.....
“It was for the children of Israel, not other nations”
“These [are] the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.” Leviticus 27:34

I agree; Just as the Tithe, is not for the unsaved to pay.
------------------------
Next you said and referenced.....
“It was to be given to the Levites”
Numbers 18:24-26
V.24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer [as] an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
V.25 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
V.26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, [even] a tenth [part] of the tithe.

and

And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.” Nehemiah 10:38

Your second reference explains the first.
The Levites were to also Tithe: (A 10th of the tithe they received).
------------------------
You continued with.........
“It was an ordinance”
“Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept [them]. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?”  Malachi 3:7

Some would say, that God’s people had left the LORD by going away from His ordinances: And that here(in the following verses), is God’s answer to the question, “How shall we return”!
So it’s not all that Clear, that “giving to the work of the Lord”, is included in the ordinances that they had forsaken.
But let us for a minute, assume that it was.......

Next you said.....
“It was abolished by Jesus Christ Himself”
Ephesians 2:14-15
V.14 ¶ For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us];
V.15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace;

and

Colossians 2:14
V.14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Here, your second reference seems to answer the question posed in the first reference.
For sure, Christ abolished the “the law of commandments contained in ordinances”, but not all ordinances were bad for us.....

He blotted out the ones that were “contrary to us”.

And your third reference rejects itself(in this discussion), because in it’s context it is clearly talking about a changing of the law that was required, in order for Christ to be our High Priest.
Hebrews 7:17-19
V.17 For he testifieth, Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
V.18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
V.19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope [did]; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

------------------------
Also you said.....
The Apostle Peter attested that those who teach the tithe (a part of the Mosaic Law) are tempting God (Acts 15:10 )
“Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?” Acts 15:10

This is clearly talking about making circumcision necessary of salvation.
---------
Also you said.....
“The Apostle taught that those who tithe (putting themselves under the Law from which all had been freed) are under a curse if they don't keep ALL the Law “

“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.” Galatians 3:10

Now above you called Tithing “an ordinance” but here you are calling it “a law”.
I will have to study this a little more, but I don’t think they are the same thing.
------------------------
Then finally you said....
“It was never taught by the Apostles... probably because of the fact that it had been abolished by Jesus Christ.”

You did not respond to the other Scripture that I posted.....
Galatians 6:6-8
V.6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
V.7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
V.8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Here the Apostle Paul seems to be teaching Tithing.
------------------------
I certainly don’t have all the answers, but I continue to be open for Scripture to teach me.

• Members

Hello Donald,

Actually, money was not as scarce as some would think it was.  The farmers obviously had money with which they could redeem the tithe of crops if they so chose to do (Lev. 27:31-32)  They also could sell their the second annual tithe for silver if it was too heavy to carry or the distance was too far, but had to use that silver to buy back the tithe once they arrived at the destination where they were to eat the tithe (Deut. 14:24-26)
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
Malachi clearly establishes that tithing was an ordinance.  Ye have gone out from my ordinances, Return... How?  By robbing Me. (paraphrased)  It is clearl that the robbing God of tithes and offerings was indeed the act of going out from the ordinances.

------------------------
Acts 15 is not just about circumcision, it is about the whole of the Mosaic Law.  In Paul's day, he would have been circumcised as an infant... on the eighth day of his existence.  It is highly doubtful that he remembered that milestone in his life to know he could not "bear it".  No, Paul was clearly referring to the whole of the Mosaic Law and the fact that neither he, nor those at the Council, nor their forefathers, could walk according to its requirements.
---------
Ordinances were indeed Law.  From Strongs:

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
2706. choq
Search for H2706 in KJVSL qx choq khoke

from 2710; an enactment; hence, an appointment (of time, space, quantity, labor or usage):--appointed, bound, commandment, convenient, custom, decree(-d), due, law, measure, X necessary, ordinance(- nary), portion, set time, statute, task.

See Hebrew 2710

------------------------
Galatians 6 actually cannot be talking about tithing.  As a matter of fact, it is not talking about money at all.  Read the context from verse one...

Galatians 6:1-6 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For every man shall bear his own burden. Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.

This is speaking about a spiritual one restoring one who is overtaken in a fault.  The spiritual one is the one who is teaching.  The one taught is to communicate in all good things...to give a report  to the communicator. 

------------------------

• Members

Concerning Galatians 6, the verses should be read from verse 1 through verse 10.  Then, one can see Paul is not speaking about tithing.  For he ends the paragraph with

Galatians 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

The instruction in verse 6 to communicate in all good things is accented with "do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." 

The communication is "do good to all".  It is not speaking of tithes.

• Members

Tithing for believers today is no doubt unScriptural. Jesus and His Apostles taught far more than 10%, just 10% or less is sin. And we know that no sinner can inherit the Kingdom of God

Professing christians who give 10% or less were never truly saved to begin with or have not worked hard enough to "keep" their salvation

What's good for the goose, as they say.

If it stands to reason that those born again believers who drink wine were never actually saved or have not worked hard enough to keep their salvation than it also stands to reason that those that claim to be saved and keep back anything they have or make; Those that won't sell all they have and follow Jesus, trusting Him completely for all their needs are obviously following a different false Jesus then that of God's Word.

(hic) Perhaps this rings a bell to those who have followed some recent threads :mock:

• Members

The Lord said it repeatedly in several places throughout the Gospels, give all and live by faith, anything not of faith is sin. No sinner can inherit the Kingdom of God.

Look it up yourself but not in a commentary or "christian fiction" book. Try the actual Word.

• Members

Concerning Galatians 6, the verses should be read from verse 1 through verse 10.  Then, one can see Paul is not speaking about tithing.  For he ends the paragraph with

Galatians 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

The instruction in verse 6 to communicate in all good things is accented with "do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." 

The communication is "do good to all".  It is not speaking of tithes.

Not arguing about the tithe....just saying that I think your interpretation of Gal. 6 is incorrect.

"Communication" in the passage is a reference to giving, albeit not tithing.

Galatians 6:6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.

Philippians 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.

Hence we interpret the unclear passage of Gal. 6:6 in light of the crystal clear passage of Phil 4:15 - "as concerning giving and receiving..."  Scripture defines itself.

It is about giving to the preacher who teaches "good things."   It fits this cross-reference:

1Ti 5:17 ¶ Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
1Ti 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Archived