• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Woe To Esau

Eric Stahl

• Members

Woe to Esau

Obadiah 1:15-21

15 For the day of the LORD is near upon all the heathen: as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee: thy reward shall return upon thine own head.

16 For as ye have drunk upon my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.

17 But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions.

18And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble, and they shall kindle in them, and devour them; and there shall not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the LORD hath spoken it.

19 And they of the south shall possess the mount of Esau; and they of the plain the Philistines(((Gaza Strip))): and they shall possess the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria(((west Bank))): and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.

20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south.

21 And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD's.

• Members

I always look to see what Jesus & his Apostles say about such prophecies. I heistate to interpret Obadiah, beyond the literal destruction of Edom, which I believe took place 2000 years ago. While Scripture has little good to say about Esau & the Edomites, these refs indicate the Gospel is even for Edom - they are counted in with the "all nations" redeemed by the cross.

Amos 9:Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth; saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the Lord.

For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth.

10 All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us.

11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:

12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the Lord that doeth this.

Acts 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

I hope we can agree that the fallen tabernacle of David is the line of kings that ended 600 years before, and that Jesus, Son of David, King of kings & Lord of lords, is the rebuilt tabernacle, so fulfilling the Davidic prophecies.

While the interpretation of Amos, & as quoted by James, is not clear, the meaning & significance attached by James under inspiration is clear. The believing remnant (the residue of men) and the Gentiles - obviously including any Edomites, 'cos that's what Amos says, are welcomed by the Gospel. There is no obligation to become Jews.

Trying to force a yet future "end times" meaning into these Scriptures is not warranted.

• Members

Not warranted?

Just helpful and Biblical, that's all....

Could you explain, because I'm not seeing it in Eric's post?

I can only remember hearing one Baptist pastor preach on this and his take was similar to what Covenanter posted (and that Baptist preacher was pre-mil).

• Members

Key phrase is v. 15 - "day of the Lord" - a reference to the second coming of Christ. 

In the trib, Israel flees to Selah-Petra, which is in Edom, but Edom attempts to turn Israel away from their land, and send them right back to the AntiChrist.

In the OT, the picture of it was when the children of Israel finished their 40 years wandering, and starting heading north to enter the Promised Land.  Edom and Moab both would not give them access to their land, and Israel had to go around them.  They both are mentioned repeated in prophecy for their ill-treatment of Israel not only in the past, but also in the future.  See Isa. 15-16, Jer. 49:7-22, Ps. 60:8-9; 83:6, Ps. 137:7.

The clearest example of this in relation to the 2nd Coming of Christ is Isa. 63:1-6.  There is no question as to the prophecy; the important point here is that the Lord comes through EDOM and destroys her....I believe the reason for this destruction of Edom is because of the prophetic events of Obadiah.

Now, I do not deny the historical events of Obadiah, I simply believe that there is more than one application.

In Christ,

• Members

Key phrase is v. 15 - "day of the Lord" - a reference to the second coming of Christ. 

In the trib, Israel flees to Selah-Petra, which is in Edom, but Edom attempts to turn Israel away from their land, and send them right back to the AntiChrist.

In the OT, the picture of it was when the children of Israel finished their 40 years wandering, and starting heading north to enter the Promised Land.  Edom and Moab both would not give them access to their land, and Israel had to go around them.  They both are mentioned repeated in prophecy for their ill-treatment of Israel not only in the past, but also in the future.  See Isa. 15-16, Jer. 49:7-22, Ps. 60:8-9; 83:6, Ps. 137:7.

The clearest example of this in relation to the 2nd Coming of Christ is Isa. 63:1-6.  There is no question as to the prophecy; the important point here is that the Lord comes through EDOM and destroys her....I believe the reason for this destruction of Edom is because of the prophetic events of Obadiah.

Now, I do not deny the historical events of Obadiah, I simply believe that there is more than one application.

In Christ,

Thank you. That explains the reasoning, which I could not find in Eric's post.

Are you sure about the Petra part? I'm trying to remember, it could take a bit, or maybe not come to me at all, but I recall a preacher did a study on this and said that couldn't be right. If I recall what he said, I'll post it.

• Members

Okay, I just remembered what it was. The preacher took a film crew to Petra, and they showed the familiar narrow way into where Petra is. Then they kept moving on and came to another passage. The preacher pointed out that for some reason those who show Petra only show the one narrow entrance, but in reality there is another entrance on the other side which isn't as narrow and means Petra isn't the safe, fortress like place they have been led to believe.

• Members

Well, I don't know about that.  I believe Obadiah is at least in part prophetic of Israel's attempts to escape the AntiChrist (Rev. 12:14), and she does find some safe haven.  Maybe it is not "Sela Petra" after all, I don't know....but I do believe Edom will be involved somehow.

In Christ,

• Members

Well, I don't know about that.  I believe Obadiah is at least in part prophetic of Israel's attempts to escape the AntiChrist (Rev. 12:14), and she does find some safe haven.  Maybe it is not "Sela Petra" after all, I don't know....but I do believe Edom will be involved somehow.

In Christ,

Good enough. I appreciate your input.

• Members

In Christ,

Israel will be at the river ford of Arrnon River in Jordan, not at Petra when the sun moon and stars withdraw their shinning.

Isaiah 16:1-5

1 Send ye the lamb ((Jesus)) to the ruler of the land from Sela to the wilderness, unto the mount of the daughter of Zion.

2For it shall be, that, as a wandering bird cast out of the nest, so the daughters of Moab shall be at the fords of Arnon.

3Take counsel, execute judgment; make thy shadow as the night in the midst of the noonday; hide the outcasts; bewray not him that wandereth.

4Let mine outcasts dwell with thee, Moab; be thou a covert to them from the face of the spoiler: for the extortioner is at an end, the spoiler ceaseth, the oppressors are consumed out of the land.

5And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.

• Members

At the end of time when the day of the Lord is coming on all the world, northern Israel will be united with Judah and together they will burn the children of Esau. That time is near, it is near and hasteth greatly according to Zephaniah 1:14-2:3.

Zephaniah 1:14-2:3 

14 The great day of the LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even the voice of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.

15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,

16 A day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers.

17 And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD's wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.

1 Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together, O nation not desired;(((Israel)))

2 Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD's anger come upon you.

3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD's anger.

Now that Israel has gathered the day of the Lord is very, very near and the rapture is more near!

Archived