• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where Do We Sit?

irishman

• Moderators

I sit in the back with the "backsliders" (that's what many preachers seem to think!) because I have to run to the bathroom due to my medicine.  I don't depend on "Depends"--can't imagine stinking ll the way to the bathroom, then carrying a diaper bag for clean-up.  I know it sounds gross, and it is, but that's the way it's got to be.

HaHa  I've had a couple of services where (due to conditions at the time) I've had to say, "If I take off downstairs (that's where our restrooms are), sing a couple of songs till I get back".

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We used to have a visiting evangelist who would get wound up, grab someone on the front pew, snatch them up and shake the living daylights out of them. So, sitting on the front pew might not always be safe, if you have a bad back, osteoporosis, or something like that.

• Members

We used to have a visiting evangelist who would get wound up, grab someone on the front pew, snatch them up and shake the living daylights out of them. So, sitting on the front pew might not always be safe, if you have a bad back, osteoporosis, or something like that.

Sounds like a wild Charismatic or Pentacostal.

• Members

People generally sit in the same area, if not exact seat in most of the churches I have attended over the years.  The ones that disturb me are the ones I know (as a pastor) are not living right or doing right.  Generally speaking, they is a backward slide in their seating.  Whereas they generally sat toward the front, they gradually keep moving back, and it usually ends up in a "back door revival."  They just keep moving back so far, they move right on out the back door.

If I have seen it once, I've seen it a dozen times....

In Christ,

• Moderators

People generally sit in the same area, if not exact seat in most of the churches I have attended over the years. The ones that disturb me are the ones I know (as a pastor) are not living right or doing right. Generally speaking, they is a backward slide in their seating. Whereas they generally sat toward the front, they gradually keep moving back, and it usually ends up in a "back door revival." They just keep moving back so far, they move right on out the back door.

If I have seen it once, I've seen it a dozen times....

In Christ,

That is interesting how their seating reflects their state. Wonder why it works that way?

I've learned at special meetings to sit near the front - less distance to go if you have to go forward to pray at the invitation. :frog:

• Moderators

It's mostly the elderly who sit in the back rows in our church. Much closer to the doors.

I've noticed that a lot of older people whose hearing has diminished will sit in the back and then claim they can't hear the preaching.

• Members

I've noticed that a lot of older people whose hearing has diminished will sit in the back and then claim they can't hear the preaching.

That reminds me of a joke I told years ago at one of the Churches I pastored...

A pastor had just begun his sermon on the topic of Proper Attire for the Church, when a voice from the back was heard to say, "LOUDER!" 

So the pastor cleared his throat and spoke a little louder. 

Ten minutes into the sermon, the same voice yelled again, "LOUDER!"  The pastor amplified his voice even more to the point that it was a strain on his vocal cords.

Again, the voice cried, "LOUDER!"

A young man from the front yelled back, "He's clearly straining to speak as loud as he can.  Can't you hear him?"

The voice replied, "No!, I can't."

"Move over," said the man in the front, "... I'll join you."

• Moderators

I don't get to sit in church-I stand for the whole thing! Behind the pulpit. Actually, I get about a 5 minute break, (in an 'exhibition seat', which is actuially behind some stuff so not much of anyone sees me) when one of our men comes up and gives a sort-of sermonette. But I do the music and announcements and preaching. Before, never had a specific place to sit-when I visited a new church, I always sit i the front pew, because, a: I'm probably not taking anyone's seat, and b: it always makes the preacher a little nervous, I think-keeps him on his toes!

• Members

I sit in the back with the "backsliders" (that's what many preachers seem to think!) because I have to run to the bathroom due to my medicine.  I don't depend on "Depends"--can't imagine stinking ll the way to the bathroom, then carrying a diaper bag for clean-up.  I know it sounds gross, and it is, but that's the way it's got to be.

Good for you Marty, I know of many that have refused to attend church for a lot less reasons than that. In fact I believe many will not attend even when they do not even have a good reason not to attend. The thing is many of them will be out & about early Monday morning going to many different places that has not the importance of attending church services. For many attending church services at one of Jesus' Churches is just not very important yet they will claim to have a big love for Him.

And of course this in not a put down to anyone that really has a good excuse for not attending, & each person knows if their excuse is valid or not.

• Members

What is amazing, they complain about not hearing, yet there's empty seats close to the front, yet they refuse to move closer to the front.

Archived