• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where Do We Sit?

irishman

• Members

If the Preacher would let them, some would carve their names into the seat back of the pews!  In times of old some churches charged for the better seats.

I sit up towards the front for reasons mentioned before but also because the side doors are near.  Tonight, I almost had to make a beeline for the side door and the restroom just steps beyond but Preacher finished just in the nick of time!

I've seen names & such carved into the back of church pews & I expect the person who did it did not ask anyone if they could do so.

I believe I may have left some hand prints on a couple of church pews during the time I was under convictions during the invitation. No one ever scolded me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to sit about midway back in the center section, but now, as I have said, I have to be within running distance of the rest room!  My medicine (Lactulose) is a strong laxative to clean my system of toxins, otherwise, I get a high ammonia level, and it reeks havoc in my head!  Anyway, I must confess that I don't always make it to church, especially at night--can't set a pattern with the stuff, it is unpredictable.  I don't go anywhere else though either, lest I have an accident that would greatly embarrass me and everyone around me, my wife included. (Not to mention the mess in the car or anywhere else.)

I lived like that every day for seven years Marty, it was a nightmare.  Still happens sometimes, it never went completely away.  You'll continue in my prayers and hope those headaches are being kept at bay. 

• Members

I lived like that every day for seven years Marty, it was a nightmare.  Still happens sometimes, it never went completely away.  You'll continue in my prayers and hope those headaches are being kept at bay. 

Thank you swath, but I haven't had a headache as long as I can remember!  This is much worse...like I don't recognize my own daughter, can't dress myself, and I walk like I'm drunk, etc.  Thank you though for your prayers, I can use the help!

• Administrators

Wow, irish - that's rough!  Will be praying.

One time when we had been at this church for about 7 years, we were seated by the ushers in a spot that had Bibles already there. We were late (there was about 5 minutes left til service time...if we aren't there at least 15 minutes before, we feel we are late), and there was this pew, third row back, that was almost empty.  They sat us there, and said that their instructions were that if the pew is not filled with people and it's that close to service time, they are to fill it.  About a minute later, a teen comes down and looks at us.  Gives us this hateful stare and says, "That's our pew." My hubby said we were seated by the ushers.  He got their Bibles and left (with the help of the usher) - after giving us another glare.  That was weird.

We do leave our Bibles on Sunday morning, but because we get there early enough our seat isn't usually taken. If it were (and it has been), we would just move.  It's not worth getting offended about - there are enough pews to go around.

Interesting follow up on the story is that the boy's family no longer attends (they do go to another church and are faithful and love the Lord). He and his wife do and are very involved.  He was a bit of a surly teen, but has become a wonderful man who loves the Lord dearly.

• Members

I heard a very good sermon on radio about this once and he preached that church members should not sit in back because when new comers come in it is forcing them to sit closer to the front and hearing sin preached about may make them feel targeted so they would be more comfortable further back. Forcing them to sit near front may scare them away.

In our church Parent with young children sit in back, I say close to back when my work shift was earlier cause I had to leave usually before sermon was done. I like closer to front cause less distraction from those with kids and most people behind me I do notice who is picking their nose, falling asleep, passing notes, or texting on phone.

Archived