• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where Do We Sit?

irishman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, according to most pastors, that's where all the rebels sit so they can talk, cut-up, and text on their phones.

That's also where my family sat while our son was a baby.  No one kept a nursery, so we sat in the back to cut down on distractions (from him) and to make it easy to take him out.  We were rebels!   :bleh:

I've seen churches where the "rebels" did sit in the back, and I've seen churches where strong Christians sat in the back.  

If pastors don't want people sitting on the back pew, then they shouldn't have a back pew.   :puzzled3:    :scratchchin:   :15huh:

Yes, I said that on purpose...and yes, I know it's not possible.   :nuts:

• Members

Take the pews out, replace them with chairs.

Then, at the beginning of the service, tell everyone to stand to their feet, grab their chairs and turn them to face the opposite direction.  Then tell them to sit down in their chairs.

Then walk down the aisle and face the congregation.

Problem solved!  The "rebels" have just moved to the front of the congregation.

• Members

We sit in the 6th row from the front. That's where my wife is most comfortable with her chronic neck pain and best able to see the pastor without putting too much strain on her neck.

I've never cared for the front rows for the same reason I didn't like them in theaters back in the day. To me, it's uncomfortable sitting in the front and having to look up so much. The back rows, while I liked them back in theater days, I don't care for in church because I feel too far away.

• Administrators

We sit in fourth or fifth pew back, on the (facing the pulpit) right side - for the same reason as you, John. My neck gets strained if I sit too close and have to look up, on the left strains my back because of the way I have to sit.  My hubby ushers, so he wants to sit by the aisle, so the right is our choice, rather than the center.

Most folks in our church like to sit closer to the front.  In fact, our front pews are always full. Often with staff, but also college and high school guys.  The back rows are usually where a number of older people may be found. There is also usually a pew left for people who might need to step out of the service for a few minutes. If the preaching is in progress, they sit in the back rather than go to their previous seat and disturb the service.

Our pastor has commented on those who sit in the back, but it's usually when there are seats closer to the front that are empty (like in summer, when a lot of folk are on vacation).

• Members

We don't have a typical place we sit, although since my wife is pregnant and still getting sick on a regular basis, we've been sitting closer to the back these days. Otherwise we like to move around a little within the center section (I like a straight-on viewing angle...) which gives us the opportunity to interact with more people.

• Moderators

2nd-3rd row from the front, at the right end of the right side. It's got the least distractions and best sound quality during the singing - and it's where I sat when I first came. :frog:  Exception is if I'm playing the piano, then I have to switch sides.

• Members

And them there's the person that enters church & someone is setting in their pew & they go up to them & say, "You've got to move, I've been setting in this spot for the past 20 years & I'm going to set here this Sunday too."

At the local movie house in our home town if you set on the front row you did not have to actually look up because of the slant of the floor, & it was that way on every row. And if someone set in front of you with a hat or a high hair do unless you were short in height you could usually see over them. I've never been in a church designed quite like that.

Yet in church its not where you set that counts, its the condition of ones heart that counts. Of course if you set around certain people they will always be disturbing you. A certain family that attends our church there's one in that family, if she is there she will always be disturbing the ones setting around her saying something to them & snickering. If she is not present the family pays fairly close attention.

Some people wherever they may be they're going to disturb everyone.

• Members

I sit in the back with the "backsliders" (that's what many preachers seem to think!) because I have to run to the bathroom due to my medicine.  I don't depend on "Depends"--can't imagine stinking ll the way to the bathroom, then carrying a diaper bag for clean-up.  I know it sounds gross, and it is, but that's the way it's got to be.

Archived