• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do We Not Realize How We Dishonor Christ When We Speak...

swathdiver

• Members

Somewhere the train derailed on this conversation.......

Sometimes the truth of God's Word is a stinging irritant (like salt) to another who is deep in sin and comes across harshly when it is really truth in love.

Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 

• Administrators

Somewhere the train derailed on this conversation.......

Sometimes the truth of God's Word is a stinging irritant (like salt) to another who is deep in sin and comes across harshly when it is really truth in love.

Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 

Absolutely.  But all too often people claim "love" as their reason for being crass, unkind, and repugnant in their words.  When someone calls someone an idiot, or a heretic just because that person might disagree with him/her, that is not love. It is, in fact, a form of pride - which those who use that terminology (and again, I include myself, because we have all done it) deny.  But the Bible clearly states that  "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom."  

That doesn't mean that every disagreement has its root in pride.  But when that disagreement turns to name calling and claiming that someone isn't saved because they don't agree with someone else, or that someone is a heretic because they believe the Bible teaches a certain way (and there is actually some grounds for it), it is due to pride.

I just experienced that with someone I've known for years and years.  She accused me (wrongly) of something and when I called her on it, she proceeded to blast me.  I wrongly responded in kind, but then stopped.  Later I asked for her forgiveness and told her I forgave her, because we were both wrong.  She blasted me again, telling me she wasn't wrong, but was standing up for herself (she forgave me but told me not to forgive her because she did nothing wrong).  She wasn't - she was just being argumentative, cruel and unkind.  And she called it love.  There was no love in what she did.  Upshot is that a friendship that I thought was solid is gone.  Sad.

I think that's why that particular thread got to me.  There's been too much of that kind of attitude on here lately.  Debate and discuss, by all means (and there will always be someone who cries "not edifying" especially if they can't answer the point being made), but do it with real love.  

I know, some men are going to say because I'm a woman I'm getting mushy when thinking about love.  Nope, not at all.  The truth of the matter is, when discussions turn to arguments and unkindness, it is because emotions are inflamed.  Of either gender.  :smug:

Archived