• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do We Not Realize How We Dishonor Christ When We Speak...

swathdiver

• Members

...in the manner some have on here (fool, liar, extremist, etc)?

Yes Ma'am.  For me they are carefully chosen words.  Context also matters.

Thus saith the Lord:

1 John 1:10 - "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1 John 2:4 - "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."

Proverbs 30:6 - "Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar."

Proverbs 1:7 - "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 10:8 - "The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall."

Proverbs 10:23 - "It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom."

Proverbs 12:15 - "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise."

Galatians 3:1 - "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?"

Galatians 3:3 - "Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?"

Acts 7:51 - "Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye."

Matthew 23:33 - "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?"

• Members

Don't forget Christ knew the hearts of those He spoke to, didn't speak in the same manner to all people, and God can say and do things we should not.

Considering everyone here is usually our brother/sister in Christ we should absolutely be speaking in a kind, loving manner.

Why do we so easily leave out the highlighted Word which calls us to love Christ and love one another, esteeming one another as better than ourselves?

• Members

Do we not Realize how we dishonor Christ when we speak in the manner some have on here (fool, liar, extremist, etc)? Yes Ma'am.  For me they are carefully chosen words.

What's this about, Swath? Are you saying that whereas others have been wrong in using those terms recently, you yourself have been consistently justified in using them?

• Administrators

"There is a way which seemeth right to a man..."

"But I say unto you, That whosever is angry with his brother without cause shall be in danger of judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council; but whosoever shall say, Thou fool shall be in danger of hell fire."

The Bible clearly teaches that the fool is one who knows not God.  Those who were called fools in the referenced thread claim the name of Christ, regardless of what others might say.  And they deserve the same respect that those who disagreed with them deserve.  I'm not saying don't get angry. For pities' sake, I get angry.  But we need to be sure that our anger is biblical and not personal...and then make sure our words are biblical and not personal.  There was way too much personal anger coming out in that thread.  

There is no biblical justification for it. We can apply any verse we want to, but God clearly tells us that our words are to edify (now, I'm not saying that we must always be in agreement...edification doesn't always come just by agreement!).  Much of that thread did not, and if I were a "sipping saint," I certainly would not have been convinced by much of what was said.  Hence the closure.

(and, FWIW - I grew up with 2 brothers, hung out with my older brother and his friends more than I did with girlfriends, have 3 step-brothers, raised a son, helpded raise many boys, have 5 brothers-in-law, been married for over 27 years.  I know how guys are with each other.  That doesn't excuse being unbiblical)

• Members

Matthew 7:20 (KJV)
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

We are called to be fruit inspectors.

Proverbs 18:7 (KJV) A fool's mouth [is] his destruction, and his lips [are] the snare of his soul.

Matthew 15:19 (KJV) For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

• Administrators

We are also called to "be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another even as God, for Christ's sake, hath forgiven you."

Something that many people forget in their zeal to prove their point...(and I include myself in there - we have all done it, and it is wrong).

• Moderators

In my (short) experience, 95%, if not more, of my harsh words are unkind and unnecessary. I may convince myself at the time that they are justified, but it's really just my anger and pride speaking, and leaves me with regrets and needing to make things right afterward. Only that tiny percentage of hard words were actually necessary.

Archived