• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Boy Scouts Or An Alternative? Churches Continue To Deliberate

RSS Robot

• Members

A 6,000-member North Carolina SBC church has announced plans to end its 60-year sponsorship of a Boy Scout troop in light of the Scouts' recent vote to admit open homosexuals to membership. Calvary Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, N.C., instead will sponsor a troop of the newly formed scouting organization Trail Life USA.

View the full article

• Members

Trail Life USA isn't what I would consider semi-secular. It requires church sponsorship to start a troop, carries a strong statement of faith and promotes a Christian worldview. It is intended to be a program/organization run by/through the local church. Essentially, a group of former scoutmasters and eagle scouts attempted to form an organization grounded in Biblical principles to raise up boys to be godly men. It is truthfully no more secular-oriented than Awana, Master Clubs, or Kids for Truth.

I fully support this organization and would consider starting a troop through my church. You can find out more about it at http://www.traillifeusa.com/.

• Administrators

Thanks for the info, Sword!  

I think a lot of churches began sponsoring the Scouts because they did promote God at one time, they promoted goodness, patriotism, individual responsibility, etc.  And a number of boys from (any) area churches were part of the scouts.  It has gone downhill so quickly, though, recently that I don't see how a church could support them now, either.

I do know of one church that lets that local scout troop use their basement to meet, in the hopes they might come to church some time.  I don't know if it's worked...

• Members

I was a Boy Scout growing up and my dad was the Scoutmaster. He did a good job of keeping our small town troop grounded in a Christian worldview and Biblical principles. I wouldn't trade the experiences and memories for anything in the world. BSA certainly used to be a good organization, but has gone way off the rails and any good Christian and church should have dropped their support for it long ago.  I truly think this new attempt, Trail Life USA, can and should be used as a great tool for discipleship, outreach, and evangelism.

• Administrators

It sounds good, from what I was able to see in a few minutes.

My hubby was a boy scout when he was younger, as well. In fact, it was thanks to his Scoutmaster that he got saved.  There was a revival at the church my hubby's mom attended (he went, too, but not all the time).  The Scoutmaster was a member there, and told his troop that they had to go to at least one night.  My hubby's cousin went with him.  The preacher preached on Hell that night. My hubby knew he needed to get saved, but was very shy about going forward. His cousin asked if he wanted him to go up with him.  They went up and my hubby got saved. But he wouldn't have gone to that meeting had it not been for his Scoutmaster (of course, that was almost 40 years ago...).

• Members

Sorry I wasn't clear, my reference was to the Boy Scouts.  My Sea Cadet unit was also run by "Christians" and most of us, even me, had a reverence for God back then.  Being an arm of the Navy League and US Navy, I shudder to think what has become of it today.  There was a time when I wanted my kids to experience and learn from it but not anymore.  I want them to learn from their parents and the Godly folks at our local church.  With three girls I doubt they'll miss launching aircraft or marching in the color guard but they learn girly and woman's things from the members of our church.

• Members

Sorry I wasn't clear, my reference was to the Boy Scouts.  My Sea Cadet unit was also run by "Christians" and most of us, even me, had a reverence for God back then.  Being an arm of the Navy League and US Navy, I shudder to think what has become of it today.  There was a time when I wanted my kids to experience and learn from it but not anymore.  I want them to learn from their parents and the Godly folks at our local church.  With three girls I doubt they'll miss launching aircraft or marching in the color guard but they learn girly and woman's things from the members of our church.

Oh I certainly agree. I would have serious reservations with any church still supporting Boy Scouts. Thanks for the clarification.

Archived