• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Alcohol: A Biblical Case For Abstinance

• Members

A glass of wine at a celebration is a bad witness that could cause others to drink and be deceived. Banquetings are Gentile attributes, (those of a lost person) not Christian ones.

Banquets are for the lost?  Are you kidding me?  I've been to Christian banquets for charities.  I am a Gentile.  And if you're not Jewish...so are you.  

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The plain fact is that nobody is going to change anybody else's mind.

This thread is a good example of one that serves no real purpose than to let some get their argumentiveness out of their system.

Arbo.  You're right.  What infuriates me at this point in the discussion is not even about alcohol...whether one can drink or not or if it's fermented or unfermented.  Now it's the defamation of character.  Now I'm a bad witness because I choose not to judge anyone in whichever stance they take.  Since I've been on this forum for only about 3 months I've been told I'm not separated from the world or sacrificing to Christ...now I'm a bad witness and stumbling block.  Shame, shame, shame on those people for hiding behind scripture to refute and rebuke for their own self righteousness.   

• Members

Yep... Banquetings are for the lost. Peter said when he was lost, he took part in them. Once he was converted, he no longer attended them.

This, by the way, is in agreement with the instruction in Proverbs...

Proverbs 23:20 (KJV) 20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

Are you saying I'm lost because I went to a banquet for charity where there was no alcohol?

• Members

I don't judge people who drink alcohol, either, Laura.  People have asked me why I don't drink, though.  They ask why I haven't gone to any of my class reunions.  I give them my testimony and that clarifies that.  I have friends from high school and college on Facebook who say that I have changed.  I send them a private message with my testimony.  By doing so, I am planting seeds.  I have one friend, who I've known since I was 2.  She is being spiritually drawn.  I witness to her via private message, along with a young Arab man, who is a year older than my son.  He loves to hear the Gospel. 

I have never told someone that they are going to Hell, either.  God is the only one who knows a person's heart.  We don't.  Amen, Laura:)  There is only one sin that will send a person to Hell.  And, that is not believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, as Personal Saviour.

I totally and completely understand why you are against alcohol because of some of the things you shared with me that happened to you.

• Members

I totally and completely understand why you are against alcohol because of some of the things you shared with me that happened to you.

Yep.  Personal stories about people in my life who are drunks tend to make me shy away from alcohol.  Did I share with you the story of the man in my IFB church, who chased me around all over town on his cell phone, while drunk and high?  Thankfully, he got sober at another church where they have the program, Reformer's Unanymous.  Praise the Lord for that, testimony!

• Members

Stop saying I'm promoting. Where did I say that in any of my posts?

One glass of wine once a year at a celebration will not cause someone to become a drunkard or alcoholic.

The cold hard facts are, every drunkard started his lifetime of drinking with the first drink. They took that first drink and the drink deceived them into believing they could handle a second, then a third, fourth, etc..Many started because of reading or hearing words just like the ones you posted. Don't tell me you aren't promoting.

• Members

The cold hard facts are, every drunkard started his lifetime of drinking with the first drink. Many started because of reading or hearing the words you posted. Don't tell me you aren't promoting.

Don't tell me I'm lost.  Now you're saying I'm causing people to drink?  You're not "Standing Firm in Christ."  You're standing firm in yourself.

• Members

When I was young and unsaved, alcohol never impressed me.  Most young people drink it to fit in with the crowd.  I know that is what I did.  When I hear younger people say, "I don't really like it."  I tell them, "Then don't start."

• Members

This thread has strayed far from the Biblical study put forth in the OP and fruitful discussion seems to have ceased. I'm going to go ahead and lock it. Perhaps we can pick aspects of it up in other threads.

Archived