• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastoral Counsels For A Time Of Tragedy

Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

The following message was presented in two parts this past Sunday (Morning & Evening), September 8, 2013.  On the Friday evening before, one of our precious Junior High girls was hit by a car and passed unto her eternal home in heaven.  She had certainly placed her trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as her personal and eternal Savior.  Therefore, we have the Biblical assurance that she is presently at home with the Lord in heaven.  Although these messages were somewhat personal in relation to our church family, the parents of the girl thought it profitable and granted permission for the messages to be posted online.  At the end of the outline, the two links to the messages on sermonaudio.com are included.

Pastoral Counsels for a Time of Tragedy

1.  Quickly turn to the Lord for comfort.

Psalm 23:4 – “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”

Psalm 119:49-50 – “Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.  This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.”

2 Corinthians 1:3-5 – “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.  For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.”

2.  Continually trust in the Lord . . .

a.  Concerning His good purpose.

Psalm 145:17 – “The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.”

Romans 8:28 – “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

b.  For His gracious enablement.

2 Timothy 2:1 – “Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.”

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 – “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

3.  Take time with the Lord for grieving.

1 Peter 5:7 – “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”

Psalm 147:3 – “He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.”

4.  Give thanks to the Lord for the blessings.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 – “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”

5.  Commit totally to the Lord to serve Him now.

Hebrews 3:7 – “Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice).

Hebrews 3:13 – “But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.”

Ecclesiastes 12:1 – “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them.”

Part 1 -- http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=914131344452

Part 2 -- http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=914131354514

Archived