• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hebrew Roots Sacred Name

2T3:16

• Members

How 'bout the "Turkish Jew" fantasy? I've run into people in bible forums before that claim that the Jews in Israel are not real Jews but "Turkish Jews" (descendants of Khazars), whatever that is suppose to mean. Seems Texe Marrs has been pushing this nonsense also. 

I had one nut tell me that the Jews in Israel were fake Jews because the term "Jew" only meant "Jewish by religion" and that the real Jews were unidentified Gentiles living in the United States. I'm finding many KJVO folks believing this tripe too.

I used to work with a Jewish lad who said the Jews were not a nation and only a religion and as he did not believe the religion he was not a Jew,

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a myth that there are no priests today.  It's a myth perpetrated by the "replacement theologians", but its origin goes back to Augustine of Hippo (St. Augustine).

Anyone with the last name Cohen (or a variation of this) can easily trace their geneology is a Levite.  The temple garments are ready and waiting as well as all implements.

Cohen-Levi Family Heritage

http://www.cohen-levi.org/the_center/the_center.htm

The Cohanim - DNA Connection

The fascinating story of how DNA studies confirm an ancient biblical tradition.

http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48936742.html

Actually it goes much further back that Augustine.  IT is recorded by Josephus who was a priest himself, a descendant of Mathias.

• Members

I agree that it is a myth that there are no priests today. I know someone with the last name Kagan and he has no doubt he is descended from Cohen ... and I know someone whose last name is Leventhal and they have no doubt they are decended from Levi. I also know a Syrian Jew with the last name Douek (lives in  America .. has some family in Israel) and they seem pretty confident of their genealogy as well (although I didn't remember theirs).

• Members

I agree that it is a myth that there are no priests today. I know someone with the last name Kagan and he has no doubt he is descended from Cohen ... and I know someone whose last name is Leventhal and they have no doubt they are decended from Levi. I also know a Syrian Jew with the last name Douek (lives in America .. has some family in Israel) and they seem pretty confident of their genealogy as well (although I didn't remember theirs).

One of my friends showed me his hands...they have a design to them. He said it is only his tribe who has that.
They were very unique.
Anyone else seen this?

Anishinaabe

• Moderators

I used to work with a Jewish lad who said the Jews were not a nation and only a religion and as he did not believe the religion he was not a Jew,

This is, actually, correct. The 'JEW" comes from Judah, the nation that continued in the proper worship of God, (more or less) and kept the Temple. Hebrew, often called JacOB, today, israeli, is actually the people and nation, Judism is the religion, thus, Jew.

That's wyh, generally, when the NT speaks of 'the Jews', if is often speaking of the Jewish Religious leaders.

• Members

Just bringing this back up, because with Easter I saw a lot of Hebrew Roots Movement posts on my FB talking about how it's a sin to celebrate Jesus' resurrection at all, and how they were celebrating Passover. One friend posted a photo of their "Gentile Seder" complete with the husband wearing a talit and his wife wearing tzitzit on her shirt. :scratchchin: Doing some research online I came across someone who said, "Christians are still bound by the Torah Law. Jesus' death just means we can't be stoned for violating the law." *sigh*

• Members

Just bringing this back up, because with Easter I saw a lot of Hebrew Roots Movement posts on my FB talking about how it's a sin to celebrate Jesus' resurrection at all, and how they were celebrating Passover. One friend posted a photo of their "Gentile Seder" complete with the husband wearing a talit and his wife wearing tzitzit on her shirt. :scratchchin: Doing some research online I came across someone who said, "Christians are still bound by the Torah Law. Jesus' death just means we can't be stoned for violating the law." *sigh*

Was that quote from an HRM site called 119Ministries?

• Members

Was that quote from an HRM site called 119Ministries?

It was actually in a thread about the Hebrew Roots Movement on a Christian message forum. With that said, this particular poster's comments read very much like the things the guys at 119 Ministries say.

• Moderators

Now, on Resurrection Day, which we hold on the Sunday after Passover, since that's when Jesus was resurrected, we have, for the past few years, gone over Christ in the Passover-not because I am teaching to keep Passover, but because  want to see where Christ is so plainly depicted in the Passover traditions, and also to see exactly where Jesus took the two Passover parts from to give us the Lord's Supper, from the Affikomen, (His Body), and the Cup of Redemption/Blessing, (His blood). It really gives it a greater clarity and understanding of it, and why it IS, indeed, just a little piece of bread and a sip of juice, NOT wine.  Its always fascinating.

Some have taken to the whole 'love feast' and taking the Lord's Supper, (using leavend bread!) as the biblical way of having the Lord's Supper. They say, "Jesus and His disciples ate a big meal, so should we!" Okay, you want to do it like they did? Eat the Passover! But we were directed to something else, just two parts of the meal, the bread and the cup.

• Members

Indeed our guard must be up for false teachings abound, even those as old as the Bible itself.

Armstrongism used to teach a version of keeping certain Jewish feasts and laws as being necessary for a true Christian. Their free magazine which seemed to be everywhere back in the 80s served them well in spreading this false teaching and confusing many folks, Christians and non-Christians alike.

The book of Hebrews addresses this prOBlem in great detail (as do some other passages elsewhere in the NT). I've noticed many who promote "Jewish Christianity" bristle when the book of Hebrews is mentioned and they quickly try to dismiss it.

• Members

The Hebrew Roots Movement goes by the law.  They are law keepers.  Sadly, many Christians are following in that path.  It is very deceptive.  They teach about a Saturday Sabbath.  Totally unbiblical.  Either these Christians are lost, or they were never grounded in the word of God.  Only God knows the answer to that.  We are surely in the "great falling away."

Jewish Roots is a different story.  From my understanding they believe in "salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ."

I have no desire to learn either.  My KJV is sufficient.

• Members

Candlelight, my experience has been that many people who join the Hebrew Roots Movement tend to be a little on the paranoid side. You will find many HRM followers in the raw vegan food circles and many in the doomsday prepping circles. I think that, for those people, law keeping is a form of superstition. Like they are terrified if they don't keep the law, something bad will happen to them. I've seen them on message forums panicking that they needed a mikvah (ritual bath), because they accidentally ate something with gelatin in it. Women sleeping on a plastic sheet covered sofa during their menstrual period so that their husbands won't become "unclean". People arguing among themselves about whether or not it's acceptable to sew on Shabbat, or use electricity in any form. Is it Yeshua or Ya'Hoshua or Y'shua? Is it Yah or Yahweh or YHVH or YWVH or G-d? People debating whether or not HRM people should keep the lesser festival days, like Purim and Hanukkah. Studying star and lunar charts to make sure they plan Shabbat and Havdalah for the precise times. It takes away so much from the simplicity of the Gospel message and causes much division.

It has reached a point where anybody serving in a leadership capacity in a "Messianic" congregation goes by "Kohen So-and-So" or "Rabbi Such-and-Such". As Bro. Mike stated, it's one thing to reenact the Passover to show how it was a shadow of things to come. How the Passover seder, and all of the accompanying symbolism involved, pointed to Jesus shedding His blood on the cross for us. When the curtain was ripped in half it is believed the Pharisees had it sewn back together and they continued sprinkling blood and putting bells and ropes on their high priests in case they did something wrong and they were smote in the Holy of Holies they could be dragged out. They continued this until the destruction of Herod's temple. And to this day, they don't believe the Messiah has come. 

What the HRM does today is like what the Pharisees did then - they tried to sew that curtain back together that separates man from God and are trying to sprinkle blood on the Mercy Seat through their works (law keeping) instead of seeing Christ's finished work on the cross. 

• Members

LOL  Jim's Helpmeet.  It sounds like you have had your fill of them, too.  I had to go through my Facebook list and delete all these people, as they were spreading false doctrine all over my Timeline, years ago.  There is also a group that follow a man named Craig Winn.  He was a business man, from California, I believe.  He decided he would go by the Tanach and re-write the entire New Testament.  I remember they referred to Jesus as Yehushua, and were met with strong opposition by the IFB's on my Timeline.  I have one Messianic Jew on my "friend's" list.  However, he is saved.  We have talked about salvation.  He was saved out of the Messianic movement.  

Sadly, these people are so despised by the Jews, that the many Jews think the Messianics are like Bible believing Christians.  I know a few Jews who are saved.  At first they went into a Messianic temple and made a beeline for the door in three years tops.  Sadly, many of these Jews are now Torah OBservant (Orthodox) Jews.  Yet, they were raised in Secular Jewish homes.  The MJ's have pushed them back into their shuls.  Well, it is no wonder, b/c MJ's don't teach the deity of Jesus Christ.  They are so caught up in the law, and are "wanna be Jews" or they like to play dress up.  Jews who have escaped to Bible believing churches are many times in charismatic churches, as well.

• Members

It tends to go one of two ways doesn't it? - either a person raised in a Jewish home accepts Jesus as their Savior and then joins a church that is full of errors, or a Christian goes into the Hebrew Roots Movement, and through a series of events denies Christ altogether and converts to full-blown Judaism. It's the progression of their false doctrine:

Heart for the nation of Israel>wanting to understand the Jewish faith and traditions of Jesus>wanting to identify with "spiritual Israel">Sabbath keeping>kosher diet>OBserving the feasts>claiming Paul's epistles were placed in the Bible by Constantine>now the validity of the entire New Testament is in question>the Trinity is a false doctrine created by goddess-worshiping Catholics>denial of the Deity of Christ>denial of Jesus altogether>conversion to Judaism 

• Members

I was thinking of this over the past week. One passage of Scripture that I have presented to people belonging to the HRM is Galatians 2:21 and 3:1-2:

I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.  O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not OBey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

I have yet to meet a person of the Hebraic Roots persuasion who can tell me how this passage doesn't negate their claim that we must keep the law, beyond "Paul was a false apostle and his writings were slipped into the Scriptures by Constantine". Another classic one they like to throw out there, to somehow claim we Christians (heaven forbid! They'd never call themselves Christians!) are too dumb to compose a proper exegesis of the passage in Galatians is 2 Peter 3:16-17. Interestingly enough, there are only two major translations that translate verse 17 to say "carried away by the error of the lawless" - the NIV and the ESV. The other translations are more OBscure and, of course, their "Hebrew translations" use the term "lawless" in that verse. The KJV says, "being led away with the error of the wicked". Basically, they claim Paul wrote in a manner that was too complicated for mere mortals to understand, therefore, people have abandoned Torah, because they simply misunderstood Paul.

Archived