• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Christians That Drink Wine Not Saved?

The Glory Land

• Members

I have always thought that this is what the Bible was referring to when it says "take A LITTLE wine for thy stomach's sake..."

Using A LITTLE for medicinal purposes is far different than drinking "moderately" or "socially."

Every study that I have read that drinking alcoholic wine moderately does NOT help a person's health - they would have to drink a whole bottle of wine to get any health benefits, and by then the alcoholic part of the wine would do more than counter-balance any medicinal value.  These same studies say quite clearly that GRAPE JUICE is very good for your heart health, but grape WINE is NOT

BUT

Mouthwash has alcohol in it, some cold medicines (like Nyquil) have alcohol in them (although now you can get the non-alcoholic versions of these), and many alternative medicines are made of herbal tinctures, which is made by soaking an herb in an alcohol solution.  Of course, the herbal tinctures are to be taken by the DROP, not by the bottle (like maybe, 10 drops diluted in 2-3 oz. of juice).  So, when the Bible says "a LITTLE," it really means "a little."

In Christ,

Small amounts of alcohol does cure infections and thins the blood.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

They're getting a little muddy, GL, but I don't think anyone here believes that drinking alcohol is the unpardonable sin. Obedience is not required for salvation, but it is expected after salvation.

• Administrators

Be careful you guys, you're adding works for Salvation...  :(

When you say to a person, you got to do this or you got to do that. This is works, we believe and then follow Him, with no strings attacted.

Only if one says we must do this or that to get saved is it adding to salvation.  When we are saved, we are saved to do good works:  "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Saying something is a sin is not the same as saying one cannot be saved and commit that sin.  Christians are as capable of committing any sin as the lost.

• Members

Only if one says we must do this or that to get saved is it adding to salvation.  When we are saved, we are saved to do good works:  "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Saying something is a sin is not the same as saying one cannot be saved and commit that sin.  Christians are as capable of committing any sin as the lost.

I agree, but all sins weight the same right?

• Members

1 Thessalonians 5:6-8 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Deal with the instruction to abstain from alcohol.

• Members
Pr 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pr 23:29 ¶ Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
Pr 23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Pr 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pr 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
Pr 23:33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
Pr 23:34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
Pr 23:35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again

Ho 4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Isa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

Some just are not wise, & while not being wise the mock God by drinking wine & strong drink while being deceived by the bottle, them in the end it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

• Members

Here on Earth, what is the big deal about having a cup of Wine, by not are you a better Christian? Don't take your cold Medicine, it may have more alcohol than the Wine.

Here's why it's a big deal:

I.  Make God the centerpiece of your life.  Do things His way and you will be blessed.  Do it not, and you will have strife/struggle (Pro 3:5-7; Psa 1)

II.  God’s word is clear that He does not want His people to drink.

A. Be not drunk with wine (Eph 5:18)            

B.  Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging (Pro  20:1)

C.  It is unwise to drink alcohol (Pro 23:19-35)

i. Causes poverty (v 21)

ii. Causes woe, sorrow, fighting, babbling, wounds without cause, red eyes (vv 29-30)

iii. Don’t even look at it! (v 31)

iv. Causes the drinker to have strange and adulterous thoughts, produces willfulness, and prevents reformation. (v 33)

v. Makes one unstable and insensitive to pain, habit forming (vv 33-34)

vi. Takes away intelligence (Hos 4:11)

D.  Abstinence is the standard

i. Not given in the wilderness (Deu 29:5-6)          

ii. Priests and Nazirites prohibited (Lev 10:9-11; Eze 44:21)

iii. It’s not for rulers/leaders (Pro 31:4-5; Ecc 10:17)

iv. Pastors/Deacons and their wives prohibited (1 Tim 3:2-3, 8, 11; Tit 1:7-8)

E.  Sobriety commanded for everyone (Tit 2:1-8; Rom 13:13; 1 Thes 5:6-7) so that:

i. We keep the temple of God (our bodies) pure (1 Cor 3:16, 5:6, 6:19)   

ii. We will not cause anyone else to stumble or ruin our testimony (Rom 14:21; 1 Cor 5:6)

iii. Be ready for the Lord’s return (Matt 24:48-51; Luke 12:45, 21:34; 1 Thes 5:6-7)

F. Drinking incurs God’s judgement (Psa 1; Isa 5:11-12, 22-23, 28:3; Joel 1:5-7; Nah 1:10; Amos 2:8, 12; Hab 2:5, 15-16; 1 Cor 6:9-10; Gal 5:21)

III. So what are we to do?

A. Turn away from the old/sinful ways and live like the Christians we profess to be (Rom 12:2; 1 Pet 4:3-7; Eph 4:22; Col 3:9; 2 Cor 13:5; Jam 4:4; 1 Thes 5:6-7, 22)

B.  Do not be around people when they are drinking, especially if they claim to be Christians (Eph 5:11; 1 Cor 5:11; 2 Thes 3:6) **This is not to be construed as being around people who drink period, simply not while it is occurring.**

Regardless of whether one thinks drinking alcohol in moderation is, in and of itself, a sin or not, based on the above outline of Biblical principles it is clearly not what God would have His people do and most certainly not His way of living a holy and separated life.   Even though an individual drink may not be considered a sin in itself, the very moment it damages God’s name and our ability to witness or causes someone to stumble into sin themselves, then it becomes sin for us regardless of the amount. 

A Christian who engages in its use should no more expect the blessings of God than if he or she were smoking marijuana, gambling their earnings away, engrossed in ungodly forms of music, or living in an adulterous relationship (see Psalm 1).  Nor should they expect to be used in great ways for the Kingdom of God.  Since all Christians are expected to be holy and do His work (i.e., priesthood of all believers and the Great Commission) and they are His temple, the standard set for pastors and deacons equally applies to the individual believers.  A standard is something to be strived for and maintained, not merely looked at as something that applies to other people.  Biblical principle outlines God’s mind on the issue and I believe it clearly points to abstinence.

Archived