• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Christians That Drink Wine Not Saved?

The Glory Land

• Members

yes, I saw that a day or two ago...i did read it, but honestly, I need to study it.  by reading it, I think I was more confused.  anyway, I appreciate you putting the time in typing that up and posting it...it will be studied. 

Fair enough....thank you for taking time to consider it...

If you do a simple word search, then print it off, and start reading each use, you will begin to notice different usages....

In Christ,

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Romans 4:6-8

6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Romans 7:

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

• Members

Proverbs 31:4-7

4It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

5Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

6Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

1 Timothy 5:23

23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

• Members

Booze was frequently used as a disinfectant and a pain killer on sailing ships and on the frontier and elsewhere.  I take it this is the context?  If there was a sailor seriously injured and about to die from his wounds, they would oft times give him some medicinal whiskey to dull the pain until he passed.  Same thing?  If we're not to even look at it, I don't know how to reconcile the two.

• Members

Proverbs 31:4-7

4It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

5Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

6Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

1 Timothy 5:23

23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

The prescription to give wine and strong drink in Proverbs 31:6,7 refers to the giving of it as a narcotic to those who were dying.  It doesn't allow room for so called medicinal use... contrary to what many may suppose.

Is the child of God perrishing?  Not according to John's Gospel.  Jesus came that we might have life... that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Alcohol is for the unsaved and should not be in the homes of the saved.  It is a slander against the testimony of the righteous.

• Members

Do I win a prize for breaking past the tenth page?   :clapping:

11th page, & I don't believe the drinkers mind will be changed, the love their drinking & refuse to surrender all even for Christ.

I Surrender All 

All  to Jesus I surrender,
All  to Him I freely give,
I will ever love and trust Him,
In  His presence daily live,
I sur-render all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee,
My blessed Savior,
I sur-render all.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow,
World-ly pleasures all for-sak-en,
Take me Jesus, take me now,
I sur-render all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee,
My blessed Savior,
I sur-render all.

Made me, Savior whol-ly Thine;
Let  me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
I sur-render all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee,
My blessed Savior,
I sur-render all.

Lord,  I give my-self to Thee,
Fill  me with Thy love and power.
Let Thy blessing fall on me,
I sur-render all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee,
My blessed Savior,
I sur-render all.

Now I feel the sacred flame;
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory to His name.
I sur-render all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee,
My blessed Savior,
I sur-render all.

• Members

Are you linking your first sentance to your second?  Do you believe sipping saints support sodomy and women pastors, etc.?

I personally accept the KJV as God's preserved Word in the English language, that is the exact reason I am not looking to change the word "wine" to grape juice.  Can you accept that?

You ask this question yet you brought in at least two verse from other versions of the Bible.

I know this was not asked of me, yet no I refuse to accept your interpretation for many reasons.

1. you take the word wine completely out of context

2. there's just to many verses in the Bible telling how bad drinking is for us

3. we who love Christ ought to WANT to completely AVOID even the APPEARANCE of evil

4. Drinking is a very huge stumbling blocks that a Christian can place in front of his fellow bothers & sisters & the lost

• Members

Nobody drinks any type of booze for the taste folks. Drinkers, lost and saved, drink for only two reasons: Mostly for the drunk feeling and secondly for social acceptance. Those that claim taste have only acquired it after drinking allot but the root reasons remain the same.

From my own experiences in backsliding and drinking I make these claims. Never once have I, even drunk, thought it was ok, I knew it was sin and felt the convicting shame and quenched it. This justifying, spitting in the air nonsense is remarkable to me.

• Members

Nobody drinks any type of booze for the taste folks. Drinkers, lost and saved, drink for only two reasons: Mostly for the drunk feeling and secondly for social acceptance. Those that claim taste have only acquired it after drinking allot but the root reasons remain the same.

From my own experiences in backsliding and drinking I make these claims. Never once have I, even drunk, thought it was ok, I knew it was sin and felt the convicting shame and quenched it. This justifying, spitting in the air nonsense is remarkable to me.

I believe you might be right.

Years back I ran a store. One day a regular customer stopped in that worked for a fellow out west of me buying gas & cashing his check. As i was counting out his money he asked me what kind of beer do you drink. I replied, "I do not drink."

He said, "Your lying, everyone drinks."

I them said, "I don't, I have in the past, & I like the taste of both beer & liquor, but I hate the effects."

He replied, "I hate the taste of both beer & whisky, but I'm in love with the effects it has on me, & I only drink because of the effects."

That young man is now dead, drinking had a big part in ending his young life. I believe he found out this was the truth.

Pr 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pr 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

Oh, his brother has many medical problems as well, & they to were brought on by drinking, & the doctor told him if he did not stop drinking he would also die at a young age. The last I heard he gets off of it, them goes on a drinking binge, & its on & off for him, & his health was getting much worse.

And anyone that is drinking can possibly wind up just like him.

• Members

The sipping saints have shown themselves to be the more liberal members of this forum.  They do not accept the King James bible as God's preserved Word in the English language, they reject most, if not all aspects separation, are ecumenical, support sodomy, lady pastors and even the murder of the unborn.  In short, they reject God's Word when it conflicts with their worldview.

Hey KOB, would you post that paper of yours for us to read?

...and yet, the Puritans (who would perceive any modern I.F.B. liberal by comparison).....would disagree with you about alcohol.  Ditto the Saintly Pilgrims.  Hmmm.   So, I suppose from the perspective of the Puritans the abstinence saints are liberals?  And they often thought of the KJV as a "M.V." often refusing to let go their beloved Geneva's. 

There are some people who cannot help but view the entire history of Planet Earth through the lens of their own part of the world and in their own generation, creating a very myopic perception........Dunno if any of them are denizens of this board or not.

Archived