• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Christians That Drink Wine Not Saved?

The Glory Land

• Members

Matthew 15:17-20 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

So many like to say "it's not what goes into the mouth that defileth the man, but what comes out."  The passage above shows what comes from the heart defile the man.  One of those things is evil thoughts.

Let that sink in.

Jesus was not saying one could drink alcohol... He was addressing the eating of food with dirt on the hands.   

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand that.

He gave indication that back when he was younger (and, the reading implied, saved) he saw drinking as sin.

Fast forward --- that has changed.

IF he didn't follow or trust a "drunkard" Christ then, and changed to a different Christ. Was he not saved then, did he lose it, or is he saved and deceived now.

-------- hey HoS ----- if I misunderstood and you were alcohol friendly at the supposed time of conversion SPEAK UP NOW, don't sit in the corner and watch (if you're even still around)!

In answer to your question, I grew up essentially being taught and assuming that the Scriptures forbad the usage of alcohol period.  My views did not change on that until about 8-10 years ago, when researching various Scriptures for myself.  I was saved at the age of ten.  I hardly knew what alcohol was at that age....led a very "sheltered" (in a good way) life as a child.....Thus, when I was saved, I believed that all alcohol usage was a sin. 

I like Online Baptist....and don't WANT to cease participation.  But, I have a hard time accepting that there is no rule against publically casting doubt upon and questioning another's salvation.......(except they blatantly preach heresy about the gospel of course).  This is a good board all things told, and full of informative and Christ-honoring posters.  But, I think I should sign off for a while until it is no longer commonplace for anyone and everyone who feels like it to cast dispersion upon and question another person's salvation.  It should (IMO be against the rules).......That's simply wicked.

I get it that the average I.F.B. takes a tee-totaling position and I would decidedly be in the minority on that.......but, this is the gazillionth time in only one thread I've been told that I worship a "different" or "false" Christ......that's patently insane.  Like CRAZY insane.  Actually, it's frankly rank heresy Theologically speaking,  The fact that this is done with impugnity is beyond my comprehension.  Truth is...there will be MANY people in heaven who had some VERY weird and Theologically awkward and quite mistaken views...I mean REALLY WEIRD ideas.  Will they be wrong? yeah....but the gospel isn't complicated, and it doesn't demand Perfect Theological perfection.  It demands a sinner to humble himself and cry for mercy to an Almighty God and Plead the Blood of Christ.....that's it, actually.  That's all.  If the malefactor on the cross gets in........I can guess that someone who believes the Scriptures but doesn't believe that the Scriptures COMMAND complete abstinence in alcohol (they don't) can also worm in by the skin of their teeth as well.  It's not like I'm advocating an un-heard of and historically un-precedented view here...........

BY FAR...the vast bulk of historical Christianity holds MY view, and not the other.  Post-modern (uniquely American) tee-totaling Theology is quite the modern construct, it has little historical precedent at all. 

I'm being consigned to hell along with Cotton Mather, John Knox, George Washington, Martin Luther, Savonarola, C.S. Lewis, Ravi Zacharias, William Lane Craig, G. Campbell Morgan, Benjamin B. Warfield, Malcolm Muggeridge, Philip Melancthon, Jonathan Edwards, R.C. Sproul, D. James Kennedy (<---who looks eerily too much like Mr. Rogers) I suppose I could go on.........and that, only because we maintain that complete abstention (although perfectly encouraged Scripturally) is not a Biblical command.  That's wrong........It's HERETICAL.

• Administrators

Quite a contentious topic...and quite a bit of acrimony amongst folks who call themselves brothers in Christ.  *sigh*  Do we not realize how we dishonor Christ when we speak in the manner some have on here (fool, liar, extremist, etc)?  I guess not.  I am all for a hearty debate (as anyone who has been on here for a while can attest to), but when discussing what scripture does or does not say regarding a topic turns into a "discussion" (ha!) where the scriptural principle of watching our words is ignored, it's time to say nighty-night.

FWIW - if a person is born again, he or she is born again.  Period.  Drinking does not cause one to lose one's salvation, anymore than any other sin does.  It can, however, impede one's Christian growth, testimony, and witness.  Especially when God says it is not wise...

However, calling each other names, all in the name of defending scripture, is ungodly.  So, after 20 pages (much of which was contentious nonsense), this thread is now closed.

:threadlockedbc5:

• Members

Quite a contentious topic...and quite a bit of acrimony amongst folks who call themselves brothers in Christ.  *sigh*  Do we not realize how we dishonor Christ when we speak in the manner some have on here (fool, liar, extremist, etc)?  I guess not.  I am all for a hearty debate (as anyone who has been on here for a while can attest to), but when discussing what scripture does or does not say regarding a topic turns into a "discussion" (ha!) where the scriptural principle of watching our words is ignored, it's time to say nighty-night.

FWIW - if a person is born again, he or she is born again.  Period.  Drinking does not cause one to lose one's salvation, anymore than any other sin does.  It can, however, impede one's Christian growth, testimony, and witness.  Especially when God says it is not wise...

However, calling each other names, all in the name of defending scripture, is ungodly.  So, after 20 pages (much of which was contentious nonsense), this thread is now closed.

:threadlockedbc5:

Put away your pad lock, everthing is just fine here.

You don't decide that, TGL.  This thread is locked and stays locked.

Archived