• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

All Preachers Should Have A Conceal Weapon Permit

• Members

I acknowledged that in my post but was also pointing out the distinction that the goal is to provide an end to the threatening actions, not necessarily the end of the threatening person. Plus the fact that due to rapid response of EMS teams and advances of medical abilities in major trauma cases that MANY shot in vital areas with a handgun DO survive.

If I remember correctly you were assigned to PBRs, therefore you know that many of our boys survived "lethal" wounds from rifle, mortar and RPG.

I was trained on PBR's and that's why I ask the question "could you really kill someone?"  I know that every gun toter is not a killer, but in this forum it seems that many are; they gloat on "what will happen if someone breaks into MY house"--that they will not leave alive.  A human life (and I said this the last time this came up),is worth more than a bunch of "stuff" that we bought from the store!

In basic training we had "quick kill" exercises, and I did well in them, but they were just silhouettes of men, not the "real McCoy".  In combat, we had to kill or be killed, but that is not always the case in a break-in robbery.  If you shoot to kill, you may have to suffer the consequences, here and hereafter.

Yes, our boys suffered many afflictions, but death has no cure, while wounds can heal.  There were a lot of deaths on both sides of the "fence".  Remember one thing though, many of those that were killed died because they did not know what to do and when to do it, they goofed off in the training classes and "dry runs",  Some were shot down (like a good friend and neighbor of mine) and didn't have much to say about it, nowhere to run.  The point is, as one man pointed out, no one dies without the Lords "permission", and when we determine when another should die, we may be robbing the Lord of a soul that has not yet gotten saved.  Think about it.

Edited by irishman

• Moderators

My post was in reference to the response of a response I made concerning a quoted selected portion of a response I made (#113) to misinformation promulgated by TGL (#111).

I hope you read the aforementioned instead of assuming you knew what I said since my posts were on, in conjunction with, referencing and in context of the posts I was directly answering -- a subset of a subset of the main thread.

• Members

I acknowledged that in my post but was also pointing out the distinction that the goal is to provide an end to the threatening actions, not necessarily the end of the threatening person. Plus the fact that due to rapid response of EMS teams and advances of medical abilities in major trauma cases that MANY shot in vital areas with a handgun DO survive.

If I remember correctly you were assigned to PBRs, therefore you know that many of our boys survived "lethal" wounds from rifle, mortar and RPG.

That would be Marty, not me.  

• Members

When seconds count, how do you determine after being awakened, fumbling for your glasses and such that the intruder is just there for your tv set and not your daughter?  Maybe he's a Nintendo thief and would likely find those items in the kid's bedrooms.  Do you wait, let him go into their bedroom and see what he comes out with?    

• Members

Romans 13:1-4

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

The Lord has ordained higher powers and specifically says rulers should be a terror to the evil.  Evil doers should be afraid of the sword because the sword bearer (the minister of God) is a revenger who executes wrath upon evil doers.  If God is the One who has given rulers the right to bear arms (swords) then I respect their decision to allow us to be revengers (or self-defenders) of our persons.  In other words, the Lord gives the rulers the power, the rulers follow the law of the land, and the law acknowledges the right to self-defense.   

Frankly, I would find it difficult to physically harm anyone, but it is the ordinance of God to execute wrath upon him that does evil, whether the instrument of revenge is born by a police officer or a person being attacked, the revenger is not to bear the sword in vain.    

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Last week my son in law came and rang our front door bell but we didn't hear him so he came round the back and tried the door where we were eating our meal.  He made us jump as he was dressed in dark clothes and wearing a pirate style scarf over his head.  I said if he had done that in America, he would likely have been shot.

• Administrators

In America, most people who don't mean harm don't come dressed in dark clothes wearing a pirate style scarf on his head. And, no, he'd not likely have been shot. Someone may have pointed a gun at him, but no shots would have been fired unless it was ascertained he was intending harm.

• Moderators

Years ago there was a lady who was a teacher in a Christian School. She was up at the church late one evening when someone rattled the side (North) door to the Learning Center. She hollered out, "Who's there?" Silence. The person now tried the West door, she called out "Who's there?" Silence.

Soon she hears the main church door (which she knows is not hard to jimmy) open. She silently waited by the South door leading to the church sanctuary. What she didn't know was on the other side of that door was the pastor (having trouble suppressing his laughter). As the pastor flings the door to the schoolroom open he sees --- the teacher with both hands gripping a baseball bat poised to remove someone's head. She identified the intruder (her pastor), set down the bat and said, "THAT is NOT funny!!"

• Members

In America, most people who don't mean harm don't come dressed in dark clothes wearing a pirate style scarf on his head. And, no, he'd not likely have been shot. Someone may have pointed a gun at him, but no shots would have been fired unless it was ascertained he was intending harm.

Some people do dress weirdly at times.  That s-i-l is one of them.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Last week my son in law came and rang our front door bell but we didn't hear him so he came round the back and tried the door where we were eating our meal.  He made us jump as he was dressed in dark clothes and wearing a pirate style scarf over his head.  I said if he had done that in America, he would likely have been shot.

I have only heard of one case of this every happening here in America. It was very sad, the story behind it. But that's a pretty low occurrence considering all the guns people own. More likely you will use one in the defense of your life or a family member's.

• Members

I have only heard of one case of this every happening here in America. It was very sad, the story behind it. But that's a pretty low occurrence considering all the guns people own. More likely you will use one in the defense of your life or a family member's.

That is one too many for that family.   

• Members

People need to be careful in how they live, whether armed or not. It's actually a wonder more people haven't been shot with the growing prevalence of "pranking". If someone jumps out at you from a dark corner wearing a mask, appearing to be covered in blood and brandishing a large knife or ax it would be reasonable for someone to fear for their life and strike. These sort of "pranks", and far, far worse are very popular these days and those doing these "pranks" are needlessly and improperly placing themselves and others in danger.

While I've never shot anyone, I have punched two people and grabbed one by the throat and slammed them against a wall after they lunged at me from a blind spot as if to attack me. That was some years ago but I would likely react the same today. One thing, these people never tried such again.