• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

All Preachers Should Have A Conceal Weapon Permit

• Members
                Trust Him

Trust Him when the shadows deepen:
  Trust Him when the reins descend;
Trust Him when the way seems hopeless,
  For Hs is your Unseen Friend.

Trust Him when your strength is ebbing:
  Trust him when your heart would fail;
Trust Him with life’s every crisis,
  For His mercy will prevail.

Trust Him when vain seems your living:
  Trust Him when you’re filled with fear;
Trust to Him your life, your being,
  You will find His presences near.

Out of darkness will the light come:
  Out of suffering, sweet release;
Out of poverty, his riches;
  Out of chaos, lasting peace.

• Members

HappyChristian, I really don't care what you do, it's not really my business.  I just express what I see as truth, and can't believe that others cannot grasp it.  I'll go on thinking my way, and you go on thinking your way, and we can both live "happily ever after"

I know I have proved Him many times, and found Him faithful to deliver me from some dangerous situations, and He will again.

• Members

Why is it that people assume that because someone may carry a gun, if they shoot someone they are going to try to kill them?

Good question,

The truth is, if you do have to use your gun to defend yourself or a love one. You should shoot to kill. Remember that a gun should not be used to scare someone. If you don’t kill with the first shot, you still can be in danger. If the person is badly hurt and you are sure that they don’t have a weapon, then call for help. But it is not a good choice to shoot to wound someone only. Then you may have to deal with the law that protects the living sinner, and if the bad person has an evil attorney, this can change your life forever. :( 

• Members

Good question,

The truth is, if you do have to use your gun to defend yourself or a love one. You should shoot to kill. Remember that a gun should not be used to scare someone. If you don’t kill with the first shot, you still can be in danger. If the person is badly hurt and you are sure that they don’t have a weapon, then call for help. But it is not a good choice to shoot to wound someone only. Then you may have to deal with the law that protects the living sinner, and if the bad person has an evil attorney, this can change your life forever. :(

You are still in danger of dealing with the law if you shoot to kill. I'm not saying never shoot to kill, I'm saying use only the amount of force necessary to subdue your attacker.

• Moderators

Good question,

Please allow me to correct some things in this post. This is not "carry or don't" nor "defend or don't" -- this is correcting some mis-information.

You can fatally wound someone ("kill shot") and have them capable of doing a lot of damage and run away before falling down 90 seconds later and dying within the half hour.

"Shooting to wound" and "warning shots" are considered proof in many states that you didn't consider yourself in "imminent danger of death or great bodily harm".

With the two aforementioned facts in mind -- if a person shoots during a defensive situation they should shoot to stop the ATTACK.

IOW: if the sight of the gun causes the attacker to back off, flee or surrender -- the threat has ended (over 54,000 attempted crimes in this country -USA- are stopped by a firearm PER YEAR. Yes, you read that right >54,000/yr. About 60% of them involve the firearm being fired (barely over half).

How to fire to stop the attack quickly? Creating a rapid drop in blood pressure (usually involving injuries in the upper thoracic region).

Note that statistically --- 80% of people shot with a handgun survive.

On the average (in studies of actual shootings) it took 2.8 rounds (you can't shoot .8 of a round -- therefore 3) to get the attacker to cease the attack.

In short -- if you defend yourself (by body, firearm, hammer, automobile, pepper spray); when the attacker ceases to actively agress -- you stop your active defensive action.

• Moderators

Another thing not usually addressed in defensive firearm carry and use is that there are hundreds of times each year when a firearm is used to protect someone that is being attacked by dogs. Detroit has an estimated 50,000 dogs loose in their city that were turned loose by owners who couldn't afford to keep them due to job losses. City officials say they are forming aggressive packs and that the city can't round them up fast enough.

• Members

if a person shoots during a defensive situation they should shoot to stop the ATTACK.

IOW: if the sight of the gun causes the attacker to back off, flee or surrender -- the threat has ended 

Note that statistically --- 80% of people shot with a handgun survive.

On the average (in studies of actual shootings) it took 2.8 rounds (you can't shoot .8 of a round -- therefore 3) to get the attacker to cease the attack.

My CCW class in the 1990s said if you draw your weapon, shoot to kill.  If you wound someone and there is fight still in them they are still a threat.  Legally, they'll likely sue you (because government entertains such nonsense) with a money grubbing lawyer.  Dead men tell no tales so said the instructor.

Goodness, that's some bad shots or wimpy ammunition being used.  Lots of folks carry little .25 autos and such which can kill but usually just make a crack head mad.  .44s and .45s generally take all the fight out of a bad guy in one shot.  What's your caliber of choice OFP?

• Moderators

My CCW class in the 1990s said if you draw your weapon, shoot to kill.  If you wound someone and there is fight still in them they are still a threat.  Legally, they'll likely sue you (because government entertains such nonsense) with a money grubbing lawyer.  Dead men tell no tales so said the instructor.

Goodness, that's some bad shots or wimpy ammunition being used.  Lots of folks carry little .25 autos and such which can kill but usually just make a crack head mad.  .44s and .45s generally take all the fight out of a bad guy in one shot.  What's your caliber of choice OFP?

A pharmacist in OKC received life in prison due to "shoot to kill" vs "shoot to stop the attack". 2 men enter pharmacy to rob Rx meds, one threatens with lethal force (knife), pharmacist produces handgun and fires 2 rounds Speer .40 (high COM) into armed assailant (we shall call perp #1). Perp #1 falls to floor, his partner (perp #2) runs. Pharmacist goes to door to insure scene safe (#2 not returning with firearm). Upon walking past perp #1 (on way to make 911 call) he realizes perp #1 is still alive and shoot said perp in the head.

When perp #1 CEASED to be a threat, the pharmacist was still legally justified (perp #1 probably would have lived), when intent of death was exposed (shooting non-threat) he became guilty of murder (premed or heat of passion up to jury).

San Francisco -- police officer and perp in struggle for officers sidearm, civilian with 1911 places 3 rounds Hornady .45 point blank into perps head, perp runs 1½ blocks before hitting the ground; good placement, heavy caliber.

Saipan, WWII: GI pulls 2 Japanese grenades under himself, both go off -- he survives and gets his MOH from FDR. Good placement, heavy caliber.

• Members

Well, the CCW classes are usually led my a humanistic crowd, so why listen to them?

I was a heathen then too, they were my instructor and if I wanted a CCW back then I had to listen.  Very different today.

OFP - I should clarify, that we were not taught and I would not "finish them off" with a parting shot.  We were taught that you don't shoot to wound, intentionally aiming for a leg, groin or arm, you shoot at their "boiler room" if at all possible.

• Moderators

I was a heathen then too, they were my instructor and if I wanted a CCW back then I had to listen.  Very different today.

OFP - I should clarify, that we were not taught and I would not "finish them off" with a parting shot.  We were taught that you don't shoot to wound, intentionally aiming for a leg, groin or arm, you shoot at their "boiler room" if at all possible.

I acknowledged that in my post but was also pointing out the distinction that the goal is to provide an end to the threatening actions, not necessarily the end of the threatening person. Plus the fact that due to rapid response of EMS teams and advances of medical abilities in major trauma cases that MANY shot in vital areas with a handgun DO survive.

If I remember correctly you were assigned to PBRs, therefore you know that many of our boys survived "lethal" wounds from rifle, mortar and RPG.

• Members

HappyChristian, I really don't care what you do, it's not really my business.  I just express what I see as truth, and can't believe that others cannot grasp it.  I'll go on thinking my way, and you go on thinking your way, and we can both live "happily ever after"

I know I have proved Him many times, and found Him faithful to deliver me from some dangerous situations, and He will again.

The thing is, Marty, In the Christians community if one agrees with you, that applaud you, yet if they disagree with you, they'll show no respect, likely put you down.

I read an article about attending church is more important than football. It seems many professing Christian fathers & mothers totally disagree & called the writer of the article all kinds of different unkindly names. Some saying the coach cares more for their children than the pastor, besides, one father stated with my son playing football that will teach him to be a man, they don't teach that in churches.

Remember, the real he-man will pack a big gun, shoot first, them ask questions, & nearly everyone loves the real he-man, they've learned to love & respect him thanks to Hollywood.